Artist Suggestions Please

Witterings

My musical taste ranges from Barba Streisand / Anita Baker to Lots of Led Zep and some Black Sabbath and everything in between apart from jazz.

Evenings when others have gone ZZZZ's I really like fairly chilled like Tracey Chapman, Joan Armitrading, Sade ... and it can be as much about having amazing bands / musicians behind them as the song / main artist. Others include the likes of Neil Young, Floyd and some of The Stones more laid back tracks
..... All of these though are older bands.

Having relatvely recently signed up for streaming music and have enjoyed a lot of the "Suggested For You" tracks and I know there must be a wealth of artists I've missed over the years.

I know most of the obvious "Big Names" like the Adele's, James Blunt, Ed Sheeran, George Ezra etc. .... If anyone has suggestions of maybe not quite so mainstream but more recent artists with the emphasis as much on the band / great musicians behind them and slightly lesser known would appreciate it.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
For some soothing female vocals, Waxahatchee, "St Cloud". Emiliana Torrini, "Me and Armini", Johanna Warren "Fates" , Anette Askvik " Liberty " and Phoebe Bridgers albums are pretty decent.for something a bit more out there, Just Mustard "heart under" and the "Wednesday" album is also worth a listen. Porridge Radio's two albums,
Some Male vocal lead music, Black Country New Road " Ants from up there" ( my own personal favourite album of last year) Plastic Mermaids " suddenly everyone explodes", The Twilight Sad's first two or three albums, Frightened Rabbit's " the midnight organ fight and Pedestrian verse, Alt j's first two album's, that should give you something to get your teeth into for a good few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witterings

Witterings

For some soothing female vocals, Waxahatchee, "St Cloud". Emiliana Torrini, "Me and Armini", Johanna Warren "Fates" , Anette Askvik " Liberty " and Phoebe Bridgers albums are pretty decent.for something a bit more out there, Just Mustard "heart under" and the "Wednesday" album is also worth a listen. Porridge Radio's two albums,
Some Male vocal lead music, Black Country New Road " Ants from up there" ( my own personal favourite album of last year) Plastic Mermaids " suddenly everyone explodes", The Twilight Sad's first two or three albums, Frightened Rabbit's " the midnight organ fight and Pedestrian verse, Alt j's first two album's, that should give you something to get your teeth into for a good few days.

Brilliant ... thank you!

I'll have a listen to all of those over the next day or so.
It's been great with streaming to have such a vast catalogue ... listening to some of my favourite bands from when I was younger and don't want to over play them so have really enjoyed listening to new artists and haven't heard of any of those so will definitely give them a listen.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
My musical taste ranges from Barba Streisand / Anita Baker to Lots of Led Zep and some Black Sabbath and everything in between apart from jazz.

Evenings when others have gone ZZZZ's I really like fairly chilled like Tracey Chapman, Joan Armitrading, Sade ... and it can be as much about having amazing bands / musicians behind them as the song / main artist. Others include the likes of Neil Young, Floyd and some of The Stones more laid back tracks

Having relatvely recently signed up for streaming music and have enjoyed a lot of the "Suggested For You" tracks and I know there must be a wealth of artists I've missed over the years.

I know most of the obvious "Big Names" like the Adele's, James Blunt, Ed Sheeran, George Ezra etc. .... If anyone has suggestions of maybe not quite so mainstream but more recent artists with the emphasis as much on the band / great musicians behind them and slightly lesser known would appreciate it.

For female vocalist/singer singer writers you didn't mention I'd suggest Joni Mitchell. Blue, Court and Spark. Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly, Joan Baez Farewell Andelina , Mary Chaplin Carpenter Stones in the Road and available in any demo room Shawn Colvins Cover Girl.

The Tea Party - Splendor Solis

The lead singer sounds like Jim Morrison, an alternative Rock band that blends Rhythm & Blues with a middle eastern/Asian sub-Continent guitar vibe.

View: https://youtu.be/Wo1-37LNYDc

Or this instrumental song has a Duelling Banjos feel.

All very different.

View: https://youtu.be/chwnEyn1V3g

That reminds me of the sort of stuff you hear on Radio Paradise.
If you like that, maybe try their 'World Mix' or 'Mellow Mix' streams - all in CD quality FLAC.
That's the thing, Gray, it isn't usually my bag. It's like I was given a CD of a Rock/Blues who my daughter and I saw at Putney a few weeks ago. I know the lead singer, Andy. On stage he's looks and sounds aggressive but in real life he's the softest individual you could ever meet.

They're a cross between Dr. Feelgood and Sham69.

View: https://youtu.be/uXPrSysbb7Y

Reactions: Gray
@Witterings

Another one to check out. Cooper Temple Clause are or were a electro Rock band from Reading in Berkshire.

First saw them when they supported Muse at the Brixton Academy in 2000.

After that I've seen them 3 or 4 times in London clubs, they even got us a pint in a pub around the corner from the clubs. Good guys and a Brill live band.

This will test your stereo.

View: https://youtu.be/eFuTGMYSD2c

Last edited:
@Witterings

Another one to check out. Cooper Temple Clause are or were a electro Rock band from Reading in Berkshire.

First saw them when they supported Muse at the Brixton Academy in 2000.

After that I've seen them 3 or 4 times in London clubs, they even got us a pint in a pub around the corner from the clubs. Good guys and a Brill live band.

This will test your stereo.

View: https://youtu.be/eFuTGMYSD2c
Or something a little more mainstream. One of my favourite 90s band, Crowded House. The Woodface album is great.

Seen these 3 times and the Finn Brothers at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005.

If The Beatles were in their pomp in the 90s, they would probably sound like this.

View: https://youtu.be/zI5enumLMcY

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site

TRY JJ Cale .

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I know you were looking for newer acts, but I feel compelled to mention Grace Jones ‘Nightclubbing’, in case it slipped under your radar. Great SQ and I find it captivating.

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi W,
It seems you may have been raised, like me, on 70s rock, but are also partial to the singing voice.
Several years ago I was introduced to Pentatonix ( or PTX ) and was astounded by this acapella group. They sound amazing on a decent hifi setup, the bass especially. Check them out on YT.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Are you a Tidal user?
If so, they have this playlist called Rock Britannia that I find very good, a good mix of well established bands/artis with newer/lesser known ones

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts