Arguments for and against calibration

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

You won't regret it! It won't be a night and day diffrence but I'm glad I got it done .a poorly mastered film will always look bad calibrated screen or not but I'm watching the patriot just now and it's simply stunning!!! If every film looked like this I would be selling my kidney to rebuy every film I own on DVD on bluray!

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have also taken the plunge and will have Julian Scott out on Tuesday 26th November to give his magic touch to the Samsung. I am really looking forward to this experience - will report back after calibration.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and persuaded me to embark on this course of action.

Regards

Stefan

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Skiman said:
Hi guys,

I have also taken the plunge and will have Julian Scott out on Tuesday 26th November to give his magic touch to the Samsung. I am really looking forward to this experience - will report back after calibration.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and persuaded me to embark on this course of action.

Regards

Stefan

:cheers:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gingersmarty said:
Have been following the thread, taken the plunge and have arranged for Julian to calibrate my TV next Wed.

So, what are your initial thoughts about the calibration? I stress "initial" because for several folk, including me, the differences between the previous settings and the calibrated settings were big enough that it took a few days for our eyes to adjust to the new settings. But the new settings will be better than the previous ones. In about a week you should be quite happy. The test then is to revert to the previous settings (which should be very quickly possible if the calibrated settings are on a different preset) and see how bad the previous settings now look.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
If every film looked like this I would be selling my kidney to rebuy every film I own on DVD on bluray!

How many kidneys do you have, or did you have to start with? From what I think you've said previously about selling a kidney to get various bits of kit, you must be down to about minus three kidneys by now! :)

T

theflyingwasp

:) did I say kidney ,I ment my soul ,saying that maybe I could get by on 1 lung.

T

theflyingwasp

I'm just back from the cinema.i went to see gravity it was excellent! One of my films of the year

as this us a thread about calibration the minute I left the cinema my first thought was I cannot wait to see this film at home on a perfect calibrated screen in 3D which also has been calibrated.

for those on the fence about calibration (why after reading this thread) I'm really enjoying watching my favourite films after calibration .i had a very good picture before but now for example when I watch Superbad,the dark knight rises or the new total recall I realize how off my settings were!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gingersmarty said:
Hi All,

Have been following the thread, taken the plunge and have arranged for Julian to calibrate my TV next Wed. I am a liitle aprehensive as i have been using the settings from the HDTV test and the picture is great, however i would probably always wonder if i did not get it done. :pray:

Don't worry; all will be good. After Julian's done his stuff and you've seen how calibration works, you'll appreciate that copying settings isn't the route to accurate greyscale and colour; indeed, copying settings is as likely to make things worse.

Post-calibration, you'll notice improvements in contrast performance and detail; and you won't mess with the settings thereafter, either. You can simply sit back knowing that your TV is performing optimally.

Now if I only had more time to watch Blu-rays on my professionally calibrated, reportedly reference TV...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
I'm just back from the cinema.i went to see gravity it was excellent! One of my films of the year

Hopefully you'll say no more about that.
smiley-smile.gif

I've got a long-weekend's entertainment planned, including watching Gravity in 3D, and a trip to London to watch the final of the tennis. (Please let it be Rafa vs. Novak...)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Nice weekend.... Well jel.... :)

You should give the final a go next year, Ben.

This'll be the third year we've gone. It's really not expensive for great seats (we're front row, upper tier, directly behind the court) and a really enjoyable night out.

The way I see it, this is a golden era of men's tennis. With the ATP World Tour Finals in London, mere mortals can watch arguably the greatest players of all time compete. I'd regret missing that opportunity, especially since I'll never afford a Wimbledon debenture ticket.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely right - perhaps you could post next year when the tickets are about to come out? It's the sort of thing I normally miss. I'm actually trying to get back to a bit of live sport, I have weekend tickets for the Old Trafford test v India next year and for both days of the snooker world championship final. But it's years since I've seen tennis live and as you say it will be tennis of the highest ever standard. Given the calibre of what appears to be coming up, it could be the best standard for many decades.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
perhaps you could post next year when the tickets are about to come out? It's the sort of thing I normally miss.

I'll try to remember. Once you've bought tickets you're granted early access in subsequent years (hence the good seats).

I'm normally annoyed by emails notifying me that "we thought you'd enjoy this," but in this case that's an accurate assessment.

BenLaw said:
I'm actually trying to get back to a bit of live sport, I have weekend tickets for the Old Trafford test v India next year and for both days of the snooker world championship final.

Out of interest, how much are the world snooker final tickets? (I always planned to go one year.) Is that just one session?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
perhaps you could post next year when the tickets are about to come out? It's the sort of thing I normally miss.

I'll try to remember. Once you've bought tickets you're granted early access in subsequent years (hence the good seats).

I'm normally annoyed by emails notifying me that "we thought you'd enjoy this," but in this case that's an accurate assessment.

BenLaw said:
I'm actually trying to get back to a bit of live sport, I have weekend tickets for the Old Trafford test v India next year and for both days of the snooker world championship final.

Out of interest, how much are the world snooker final tickets? (I always planned to go one year.) Is that just one session?

In contrast to your early notification of the tennis, the snooker set up is terrible. The world snooker website is piss poor. We checked it regularly but not on the right day and all the tickets had been sold to the formalised touting websites. We ended up getting tickets to all four final sessions; we went to the masters final last year which confirmed we can cope with long periods of snooker and also made us think it would be odd joining a match half way through. Different seats are different prices. I think face value is between £40-£100 roughly. We have good seats for the second day and less good for the first day. I think we paid about £400 each in total.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
theflyingwasp said:

Hopefully you'll say no more about that.
smiley-smile.gif

I've got a long-weekend's entertainment planned, including watching Gravity in 3D, and a trip to London to watch the final of the tennis. (Please let it be Rafa vs. Novak...)

Nice one. :clap: I have been watching the group matches.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gingersmarty said:
Its this coming Wed, I feel like a little boy again waiting for the Big fella in the red outfit. :)

Don't forget to return to this thread to let us know what you think of the calibration process and, more importantly, what you think of the result.

T

theflyingwasp

Just watched pacific rim on blu ray on my calibrated tv .it was awesome ,the Hong Kong scene was stunning with all the neon colours

sony and Samsung can ram there 4k and oled for the time being the picture quality on that movie was so good I couldn't concentrate on the movie for looking at the picture

with a black level of 0.001 ,on a calibrated ZT in black out conditions I really don't know how much better a film can look :dance:

calibrate now!

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Just watched pacific rim on blu ray on my calibrated tv .it was awesome ,the Hong Kong scene was stunning with all the neon colours

sony and Samsung can ram there 4k and oled for the time being the picture quality on that movie was so good I couldn't concentrate on the movie for looking at the picture

with a black level of 0.001 ,on a calibrated ZT in black out conditions I really don't know how much better a film can look :dance:

calibrate now!

That goes on the list to see then. :)

what did you think of the film? (Have read some very mixed reviews).

TRENDING THREADS