Arguments for and against calibration

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

Sorry my fault I should have checked out your tv first .i just assumed you had bought a £500 TV .I'm not saying a panel at that price is rubbish but your tv looks just fine plus you have a very good blu ray player.

youre not being thick sir we are all learning here from other people :)

i have the oppo in hdmi 1 my Apple TV in hdmi 2 and my xbox 360 in hdmi 3 my ps3 is through my soundbar and at the end of the month I will have the xbox one and ps4 I don't say this to beat on my chest because it doesn't matter how many devices you have.

the calibrater will ask you to put on your tv for an hour to warm in up and then simply connect his laptop and equipment up to your TV .I had the film heat playing and I said "will I turn the volume down so you can calibrate the picture " he said "no " took out my oppo hdmi and connected his equipment in hdmi 1 and started up the test patterns .no discs or devices were used just the tv connected to his equipment.

no matter what I play wether it's a gaming console (with game mode on) a DVD ,blu ray,Apple TV or my new consoles everything will look the best it can.if he had to calibrate a picture for every device ,hdmi port and USB port he would still be here from last Saturday .

he will calibrate your set for how you watch tv during the day then at night in my case it's blackout conditions so it's a totally different isf day and isf night calibrated setting for me .every tv will differ as people have more or less light in the environment where they watch tv during the day and at night.

if I put on a film and I think the picture is so-so or really bad it's not the tv it's the way the film has been mastered.the calibrater will run test patterns and tweak all your colour and greyscale etc and get it the best he can with the quality of the tv and the controls he has to work with then lock in the settings ,that's really it.never again should you have to fiddle with the settings (I'm talking to you son of sj :))

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
the calibrater will run test patterns and tweak all your colour and greyscale etc and get it the best he can with the quality of the tv and the controls he has to work with then lock in the settings ,that's really it.never again should you have to fiddle with the settings (I'm talking to you son of sj :))

Yep, I'm listening, I'm listening .... I certainly haven't changed the colour management or white balance settings, but I do think that I prefer the pictures, certainly on the Samsung and on the LG, with slightly increased sharpness and with edge enhancement switched on. The Pioneers don't have the edge enhancement option, so I've only increased the sharpness on them.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Skiman said:
Hi theflyingwasp,

Thanks for the reply. My TV was originally approx. £1200.00 when released and has plenty of adjustment fields including colour space, 10 point white balance, gamma, rgb screens and expert patterns as well as the usual contrast etc. I don't know how that compares with your screen's complement of adjustments. Do these menus sound sufficient for a calibrator to use?

Excuse me for being thick but I can't understand how several calibrated settings can be accessed from 1 input as I can't seem to find "sub modes" within my menus.

Any help/advice/comments appreciated.

Regards

Stefan

hi Stefan,

if you have 10 point grey scale adjustment and can adjust gamma/rgb etc then your TV will definitely benefit from calibration.

As Wasp says, the calibrator will effectively just create three new "preset" picture modes, so when you go into the 'Settings' menu and select 'Picture' you'll see 'ISF Day', 'ISF Night' and 'ISF 3D' as options for you to select, regardless of which source your watching. Depending in where you live it will likely cost you between £200-£350 (depeds in the travel costs/time involved for the calibrator), to out that in context its a lot cheaper than buying a new TV and it should give your current TV a whole new lease of life.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Gentlemen,
Extreme thanks to each and every one of you for replying and explaining how presets are used to allow for differing calibrations. The explanations you have all provided regarding processes etc is gratefully received.
I will now start to look at the various calibrators available (Mr. Withers is only 78 miles distant) and hopefully will have a picture to be proud of very soon.
Will keep you all informed.
Once again thank you all.
Stefan.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Yep, I'm listening, I'm listening .... I certainly haven't changed the colour management or white balance settings, but I do think that I prefer the pictures, certainly on the Samsung and on the LG, with slightly increased sharpness and with edge enhancement switched on. The Pioneers don't have the edge enhancement option, so I've only increased the sharpness on them.

It's worth noting that on the VT65, sharpness adjustment actually influences greyscale. For some strange reason, blue levels rise with incremental increases in sharpness. I've seen this first hand on my TV; and the phenomenon is well documented on the VT65 thread over on AV.

I'm sure somebody at Panasonic can explain why this is the case, though most people are baffled. I say this because you can never be sure whether changes to calibrated settings will throw off greyscale or colour; and without a meter it's impossible to check.

None of that means that the changes you've made will have a detrimental effect on other picture parameters, though in my view it's better to be safe than sorry and leave well alone. (Unless, as I say, you own a meter and can confirm that no harm is done.)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
The younger siblings in the range have won the best buy award: http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-r100-51 There are a few user reviews in the Hi Fi section of the forum, and I haven't heard a negative comment about them. You can make a 5.1 set using the R500 as fronts, and rest from the R100 package. They sound awesome with the Pioneers.

Thanks, worth keeping in mind for next time round, though only brought the MA package last year so am a few years away from an upgrade I suspect - need to get a new house sorted first which has taken a back seat 'cos of the wedding this year - which is now only 5 days away!!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Skiman said:
Hi strappedforcash, I live in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire (between J9 and J8 of the M1). Regards Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Julian Scott (based in Leicester) is roughly the same distance from you as Steve Withers. The closest calibrator to you is Ricky Jennings in Caterham.

You'll be in safe hands with any of the three. To the best of my knowledge, Julian is the cheapest of the three, though the service and attention to detail are exemplary.

It might be worth giving each a call to find out what they'll charge and when they're free. Web addresses with contact details below:

http://www.stormfrontav.com/

http://www.displaycalibration.co.uk/our-calibrator/

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/contact.asp

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
need to get a new house sorted first which has taken a back seat 'cos of the wedding this year - which is now only 5 days away!!

I'm guessing this is your upcoming wedding. (Apologies if I've been slow on the uptake.) If so, congratulations and have a great day! :cheers:

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Stappedforcash - thankyou very much for the contact details of the calibrators. I will make contact with them over the next few days and report back Regards Stefan

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.
smiley-smile.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
need to get a new house sorted first which has taken a back seat 'cos of the wedding this year - which is now only 5 days away!!

I'm guessing this is your upcoming wedding. (Apologies if I've been slow on the uptake.) If so, congratulations and have a great day! :cheers:

It is indeed, thanks very much - Monday is the big day. :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, very much looking forward to it.

If anyone's near junction 13 of the M25 next Monday evening and sees a shed load of fireworks going off at 7.00pm, that'll be us! :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
Half way through that sentence I thought it was going to be an invitation....

Same here! Then I was think how rich is Mr Malarky? :grin:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
:boohoo:
gel said:
BenLaw said:

As of now, absolutely stone broke!!

Apparently, the minimum price for anything even remotely connected with a wedding is £500, and I mean MINIMUM!

If I was any poorer I'd qualify for an EU bailout!

no regrets though, can't wait to be honest. Roll on two weeks in the Caribbean..

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
gel said:
BenLaw said:

As of now, absolutely stone broke!!

Apparently, the minimum price for anything even remotely connected with a wedding is £500, and I mean MINIMUM!

If I was any poorer I'd qualify for an EU bailout!

no regrets though, can't wait to be honest. Roll on two weeks in the Caribbean..

Nice one. :)

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Have been following the thread, taken the plunge and have arranged for Julian to calibrate my TV next Wed. I am a liitle aprehensive as i have been using the settings from the HDTV test and the picture is great, however i would probably always wonder if i did not get it done. :pray:

D

Deleted member 2457

gingersmarty said:
Hi All,

Have been following the thread, taken the plunge and have arranged for Julian to calibrate my TV next Wed. I am a liitle aprehensive as i have been using the settings from the HDTV test and the picture is great, however i would probably always wonder if i did not get it done. :pray:

Wow, nice one. Can you let us know how you get on. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS