Arguments for and against calibration

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
£160 well spent the i1 display pro is fast, really fast even at 10ire.

It doesn't read 0ire on my VT65 so to do a BT1886 cal you need to enter the black reading manually into calman. Wouldn't know how do it other software.

bad that it doesn't read it - good means blacks lower than 0.003 ftl :)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Having recently got my VT65 professionally calibrated, and posted about how delighted I am with the results, it's probably clear where I stand on this issue.

I'm interested to hear arguments for and against calibration using a meter, however. If you decided not to calibrate your TV (and this seems true of the great majority of people), what influenced your decision?

Countless threads are started by people looking to spend hundreds of pounds on new kit to squeeze the last drop of performance from their system. Yet I would argue that full calibration offers the best pound-for-pound upgrade available. (In a video only context, certainly, in every other sense, probably.) I'd add that calibration is an absolute must if you've any interest in 3D viewing. The difference is even more pronounced.

Also, what are the perceived advantages of paying a professional vs. buying your own meter and software? Which offers the best value? To a degree this is system dependent. If you're Son_of_SJ, for instance, and own several high-end TVs, buying a meter arguably represents value for money as you can calibrate every TV you own. (Including that second-bedroom Kuro ;) ).

Those arguing against professional calibration, have you viewed a calibrated and uncalibrated TV side-by-side?

Discuss... :grin:

Just booked mine in for calibration and got a cracking deal! :cheer: A week tomorrow it will be done!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
About time too, gel!! When you've done it and are happy I'll update the list of all those forum members who have had it done. Was it Steve Withers's five-page article about calibration in HCC issue 232 that finally made you see the light?

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
About time too, gel!! When you've done it and are happy I'll update the list of all those forum members who have had it done. Was it Steve Withers's five-page article about calibration in HCC issue 232 that finally made you see the light?

I think it was mainly Strapped and you guys on here but the article did help! :cheers: Can't wait to have it done now.

D

Deleted member 2457

his dudeness said:
good man gel look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:cheers: My thoughts should be quite interesting because I have never had anything like this done before! And I like my normal settings. :)

I will do some pictures too.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Who are you having do ti Gel? You missed out on the best here a while ago
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Who are you having do ti Gel? You missed out on the best here a while ago
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

CanaryJules offered me a great deal, so I had to accept mate. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
Just bear in mind there's no return policy with calibration gel. ;)

Shhh! And anyway, you yourself will need to get your forthcoming bright-room projector done, surely?

Look out BB, you are next. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was going to say projector even more imprtant - but its not its only equally important!!

Hope it turns out well for you - although I have no doubts

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

I think it was mainly Strapped and you guys on here but the article did help! :cheers: Can't wait to have it done now.

Halelluliah!!!! :cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Get in there fella!

:cheers:

I reckon, working on a similar timescale, we might convince you not to replace your BDP on a bimonthly basis.

Of course you'll have bought five more Blu-ray players by then (or 20, depending on which definition of bimonthly we accept). :p

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Halelluliah!!!! :cheers:

:grin: :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Get in there fella!

:cheers:

I reckon, working on a similar timescale, we might convince you not to replace your BDP on a bimonthly basis.

Of course you'll have bought five more Blu-ray players by then (or 20, depending on which definition of bimonthly we accept). :p

:cheers: I reckon I definitely won't be changing my Blu-Ray player again! :) I worked out if I had'nt spent over £300 on a suit 6 months ago I could've kept one! Just bought another new suit at the weekend it cost me £60 from Matalan this time! :grin: That is one way of saving a few pennies. ;)

TRENDING THREADS