Argh - speakers - children

drlindgren

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX8 floorstanders.

My devil of a 2-year-old has pushed the port bungs (both speakers) so far into the rear ports (top of the cabinet) that they have dropped into the cabinet.

:wall: |(

The speakers are completely closed units - the only thing that I can open up is the cable connector panel at the bottom of the speaker, and there's so much stuff in the cabinet that the port bungs cannot fall all the way to the bottom.

I have no idea how to get them out. What I really need is for my arm to be thin, long and flexible with a hand the size of a cat's paw...

Any bright ideas? Separately, I think I might put an electric fence around my speakers...

Aaaarghgh

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Chr1s_J said:
could you turn your speakers upside down, then grab the bungs with some needle nose pliers?

Or a pair of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saibashi

If not you probably need to remove a driver and go in through the front (or just leave it in there).

As MajorFubar says the normal (only) way is to go in from the front but I would only attempt this if confident as you could end up doing more damage than good.

As ID states why not just leave them in there? If you really do need the bungs in place for effect you should be able to order a replacement pair for not a great deal.

Oh and forget electric fence (it costs money to run), as has been suggested in other threads simply wall-mount the child. :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think another lesson to be learned is not to let unsupervised toddlers loose round £1,000 speakers. I know I personally couldn't afford something which cost that much to be damaged by careless little fingers. And yes I know how difficult it is, we had twins: while you're trying to stop one kid destroying the living-room, the other one's toddled-off into the kitchen and emptied half the cupboards.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The only way in is to remove the bass drivers. You will have to undo the hex bolts on the back of the cabinet that hold the drivers in place on the front baffle.

How easy it is to fit them back again though is another question.

I use some (clean) rolled up socks in the back of my rx6 ports very tight so dont budge.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think another lesson to be learned is not to let unsupervised toddlers loose round £1,000 speakers. I know I personally couldn't afford something which cost that much to be damaged by careless little fingers. And yes I know how difficult it is, we had twins: while you're trying to stop one kid destroying the living-room, the other one's toddled-off into the kitchen and emptied half the cupboards.
Ha Yes,a while ago now but snap ;)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear various kid wrangling stories. Still trying to work out what to do with my kit before the little one gets mobile. Bedroom is a bit safer, but no guarantee. Considering packing it all up for a couple of years and doing a cheap setup with some cheap actives and a combined DAC/Preamp being fed from an iPod, or an M-CR603 and some old 2nd hand speakers.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I know what you mean, which is why I have system setup as it is now. See pictures on Flickr from post below,

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-squeezebox-touch-based-system

The Stands/speakers are safely upstairs and come down at night. Not ideal and planning on getting some small speakers to use with SBT for convenience listening.

The plastic used to protect the amp/dac works a treat and no problems for last 2 years!!! It was left over from stair guard but think similar available from homebase etc.

Good luck!

Sliced Bread

I feel your pain.

My mission 782's were damaged by my (at the time) 18 month old pushing them over.

More recently at 2 and a half he pushed his hot wheels cars into the rear port of my cm8's (also sealed).

Best way, is as per the other poster either remove the drivers then you can pick up the speaker and try and tip out the bung, or remove the back binding post section (if you can) where you can reach in.

One important tip though. Make sure you don't over tighten when you put the srivers / binding post section back in. In many speakers your screrwing directly into the wood and it is really really really really easy to thread the wood.

Good luck buddy!

PS: You still have to love 'em though don't you :)

drlindgren

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Turn speakers upside down...

Genius! Why on earth did I not think of that?

With help from a pair of chopsticks (don't have needlenose pliers anywhere near long enough), port bungs now back in ports where they should be!

Thank you!

Thanks for all the other suggestions - very helpful to know how to get the drivers out - had not worked out what the bolts in the back were for.

I like the idea of keeping the kids away from the speakers, but they're stealthy little critters... Easier said than done

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
drlindgren said:
Turn speakers upside down...

Genius! Why on earth did I not think of that?

With help from a pair of chopsticks (don't have needlenose pliers anywhere near long enough), port bungs now back in ports where they should be!

Thank you!

Thanks for all the other suggestions - very helpful to know how to get the drivers out - had not worked out what the bolts in the back were for.

I like the idea of keeping the kids away from the speakers, but they're stealthy little critters... Easier said than done

The simplest idea's are normally the best. Six inch nails should do the trick !.............:)

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Personally I have never had HiFi in the shed and as thats where the kids are kept, then no problem for me. Its so peaceful, the good lady and I love our quiet evenings smoking and drinking too excess and as we are both claiming the social, we dont have to get up with a hangover. Another good point is that we cant hear the kids yowling in the shed except when we remember to feed them.....oops, I havent been down for a few days.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont know the speaker, but could you not put some chicken wire or perforated sheet brass or aluminium from B&Q over the port hole? Some thought would need to go into fixing like some exterior quality Scotch double sided 1mm foam pads, they stick like **** to a blanket!

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts