Question Found vintage speakers in the attic ... now what?

nigelgroove

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi folks. This week I found a pair of speakers in my family's attic that are likely at least 40 years old. The make/model is Advanced Speaker Korp - Model V. (Pics attached.) I’m wondering if anyone knows anything about these ... how much they may have cost originally, how well regarded they may be today, and perhaps most important, whether local repair shops might still work on them. I tested them today and they still work! But I can hear that at least one of the woofer cones probably has some foam deterioration because it’s making that typical buzzing/flapping sound on lower bass notes. As far as I can tell, there would be one complication involved in repairing them: the mesh grills seem to be sewn directly into the cabinet. Does anyone know how a repair shop would handle this? I’ve never come across a speaker quite like this before. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG-0378.jpg
    IMG-0378.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-0379.jpg
    IMG-0379.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0380.jpg
    IMG-0380.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-0364 (1).jpg
    IMG-0364 (1).jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi folks. This week I found a pair of speakers in my family's attic that are likely at least 40 years old. The make/model is Advanced Speaker Korp - Model V. (Pics attached.) I’m wondering if anyone knows anything about these ... how much they may have cost originally, how well regarded they may be today, and perhaps most important, whether local repair shops might still work on them. I tested them today and they still work! But I can hear that at least one of the woofer cones probably has some foam deterioration because it’s making that typical buzzing/flapping sound on lower bass notes. As far as I can tell, there would be one complication involved in repairing them: the mesh grills seem to be sewn directly into the cabinet. Does anyone know how a repair shop would handle this? I’ve never come across a speaker quite like this before. Thanks for any help!
Hi and welcome.

I'm not familiar with the brand. Looking at the rear of the speakers and flicking through the internet there were a number of copies made. And the cable terminals look like a DIY job. And if the grilles are fixed, that sends alarm bells for me.

I had a mega cheap pair of Solavox speakers, purchased from reputable dealer and you could remove those.

I could be wrong but certain things doesn't sit right with me.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I take it that the speakers are of American origin. Is the the back panel removable for access to the cone units so you can identify the manufacturer and name?

They would need complete refurbishment, mechanically, and they don’t look like they were ever much more than fairly modest speakers, by US standards. Perhaps an Acoustic Research rival fifty years ago? That Peerless tweeter was decent, though the bass unit is probably dust now. I’m afraid they’re probably car boot sale material, though try them on ebay at 99 cents/pence and see if there’s any interest. The repairs would outweigh any resale value for you, I suspect.

There’s some info here…https://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advance-V-II.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr
They would need complete refurbishment, mechanically, and they don’t look like they were ever much more than fairly modest speakers, by US standards. Perhaps an Acoustic Research rival fifty years ago? That Peerless tweeter was decent though the bass unit is probably dust now. I’m afraid they’re probably car boot sale material, though try them on ebay at 99 cents/pence and see if there’s any interest. The repairs would outweigh any resale value for you, I suspect.

From the look of those photos the grille should be on a removeable frame.

Reactions: nopiano
They would need complete refurbishment, mechanically, and they don’t look like they were ever much more than fairly modest speakers, by US standards. Perhaps an Acoustic Research rival fifty years ago? That Peerless tweeter was decent, though the bass unit is probably dust now. I’m afraid they’re probably car boot sale material, though try them on ebay at 99 cents/pence and see if there’s any interest. The repairs would outweigh any resale value for you, I suspect.

They must be some speaker if you're possibly comparing them to ARs. In the late 70s I lusted after a pair of ARs -- way beyond my pay grade, though.

They must be some speaker if you're possibly comparing them to ARs. In the late 70s I lusted after a pair of ARs -- way beyond my pay grade, though.

AR did have a very wide range, so I can understand that you may have lusted after them.

AR7s were about £55 a pair, but the three-faced LST with the 12” woofer were about £350-400, when QUAD ESLs were about £200 a pair! (These prices from the 1974 Hifi Year Book, except the LST which didn’t appear until a bit later)

My AR4xa were £64 the pair that year!

Reactions: Al ears
AR did have a very wide range, so I can understand that you may have lusted after them.

AR7s were about £55 a pair, but the three-faced LST with the 12” woofer were about £350-400, when QUAD ESLs were about £200 a pair! (These prices from the 1974 Hifi Year Book, except the LST which didn’t appear until a bit later)

My AR4xa were £64 the pair that year!
Totally agree. But even the cheapest model were beyond what I earned in 1979. After hearing them in Laskys, they were gorgeous. And HMV shop in Sutton, Surrey used ARs before changing to Tannoys a few years later.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
Totally agree. But even the cheapest model were beyond what I earned in 1979. After hearing them in Laskys, they were gorgeous. And HMV shop in Sutton, Surrey used ARs before changing to Tannoys a few years later.
strange occasion when US speakers were very much sought after even at those prices.
I have always thought they were very much underrated and owned a pair of AR7s for a short while.

nigelgroove

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies. Upon closer inspection I think you're onto something with the grills actually being on a removable frame -- they're just inset to appear flush with the wood cab. I haven't yet been daring enough to try pulling them out, but I do intend to get in touch with the person behind the Human Speakers site linked above, since it seems they are pretty familiar with this model and its cousins. Then perhaps I'll give it a try myself.
I appreciate all of the ideas and input!

TRENDING THREADS