Are projectors viable yet?

F

FunkyMonkey

I mean viable relative to a large screen TV?

Can I get a projector that, out of th ebox, I can attach to a 3D blu ray player and stick on some specs to get 3D image, and that will work in semi-darkness (as opposed to total darkness), and one that will not require a new bulb every year (watching, e.g. 2 hours a day)?

Oh, and must cost under.....£3k (just to compare to a large screen, fully specced TV).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I'd missed this thread. As someone who kicked out TV in favour of a projector 8 years ago, I'd say go projector! They are getting more home-friendly all the time: easier to set up; more flexible (re positioning and ambient light), and with longer bulb lives. (I've had same bulb running for 3 years, with daily use, by the way).

There are some belting models available in your price point - have a read of the projector tests here, but most importantly get out there and start seeing some - see what you think with lights on, with range of content/viewing angles etc. And budget for a screen that matches your room and choice of projector.

Look out for some new models, too - this one, specifically aimed at being flexible enough for day and nighttime viewing - could be interesting, if not 3D (certainly impresses in demo):

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonics-new-pt-ah1000e-claims-to-be-the-worlds-brightest-projector

ed

F

FunkyMonkey

Thanks for that. I would definitely want 3d. So, I suppose the next question is, are there any projectors being released in the next couple of months that would retail under 3000 and preferably nearer 2000 that improve on what is available?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If the manufacturers have got any sense there will be: retail figures show a clear spike in projector sales before major football tournaments; with Euro 2012 and the Olympics on horizon (which will be widely shown in 3D elsewhere in Europe) there should be a market for new mainstream models....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
Thanks for that. I would definitely want 3d. So, I suppose the next question is, are there any projectors being released in the next couple of months that would retail under 3000 and preferably nearer 2000 that improve on what is available?

images

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
One of the better options would be one of the Epson models - the TW6000 or TW9000 - both have quite a high lumens output so will work better with a bit of ambient light. Your choice of screen will also have an effect on the end result, so you'll need to be looking at something like a Draper ReAct II, which will reduce the possibility of the contrast being washed out by ambient light. It might be more than you want to spend, but it'll make the most of the contrast ratio available from whichever projector you choose.

F

FunkyMonkey

Haha. I don't want the moon on a stick. I don't even want a perfect picture in ambient light conditions. I am happy to completely darken room for event viewing, but for casual viewing, I just want to have a watchable picture.

I know I can get a viewable picture from 12 feet away from projectors at work using a laptop for 3 Hundred quid, so why not a bang on picture for 7 to 10 times that?

Hardly asking for the moon on a stick.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"Data projectors" are designed for office use, where there's usually a lot of ambient light in the shape of natural day light or strong office lighting. These projectors have thousands of lumens uysing high wattage bulbs behind them in order to achieve a viewable picture, but because of the high output and their small casing, they're very noisy because they have to be kept cool - you don't want to be struggling to hear dialogue during a quiet movie because the PJ sounds more like a hairdryer! A "home cinema projector" is designed differently. Whereas noise isn't generally an issue for the office, it's a big factor for the home. The light output is lower as most people will watch a movie in dark or near dark conditions, which means the projector is quieter, and the contrast ratio is more suited to movies rather than a pie chart.

It's only recently with 3D projectors that their lumens output has increased, making up for the reduced light intake caused by the 3D glasses. These now have much brighter, more vivid images, and this is something the Epsons currently excel at.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well said that man. The difference between projectors that are effectively PowerPoint players and those suitable for home cinema use (however casual that use may be) is often overlooked. It's not just noise/light output that's the issue- there's resolution, throw length, inputs, adjustability and more to add into the mix. Not to mention outright picture quality....

F

FunkyMonkey

So who is correct? Am I asking for the impossible in my budget, or can you, Clare, suggest some 3D models that fit the bill? Any group tests planned to answer my questions?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You're not asking for the impossible (assuming your budget is just for the projector; as David notes, the screen has key part to play, too).

I'd get yourself a demo of the Epsons, as noted, but also the Panasonic PT-AE5000E. Take along own pick of 2D and 3D content, and ask to view the content in range of lighting conditions.

I'll ask WHF team what they have planned re Group Tests. I'm doing a round-up of sub-£2500 projectors for a national newspaper, but won't be able to share my conclusions for a few weeks yet :)

F

FunkyMonkey

I have been reading the WHF review of the Epson EH-TW5900. It seems I could get a satisfactory 3D projector nearer 1k than 3k. What other 3D ready projectors are there, please?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
I mean viable relative to a large screen TV?

As far as I can tell, a properly set-up PJ has always been a better, and more cost effective (per inch!), solution than a TV! ;)

FunkyMonkey said:
I would definitely want 3d.

I know its personal preference and all that, but seriously, why? It may sound a little too opinionated, but I still can't see 3D as anything more than a gimmick at best.

FunkyMonkey said:
I have been reading the WHF review of the Epson EH-TW5900. It seems I could get a satisfactory 3D projector nearer 1k than 3k. What other 3D ready projectors are there, please?

A number of manufacturers have decent entry level 3D projectors now - Optoma have one that has been reviewed very favourably for its 3D images if that is what floats your boat - and it can be had for under £1500 if memory serves (though memory doesn't serve well enough to remember the model number).

As always google is your friend, don't just rely on forum members to give you a short list - and as always there is no substitute for checking them out yourself (home audition is best of all!). Finally as mentioned above, don't forget to factor in a decent screen - though if you are happy to pull it down by hand, or have space for a fixed version, there is no reason why a decent 1.0 gain screen should break the bank.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
If your budget is £3k then its impossible to buy better than an Epson 6000 with a ReActll screen, it has no lens shift so bear that in mind, no chance of rainbow effect and 2200 lumens to light up the screen which if its going in an ambient lit room is going to put a big smile on your face.

Allan @ Ideal AV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts