What size projector screen?

zenculture

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
I am currently in the early throws of researching projectors and screens. I am currently looking at the Benq W1080st for the projector and either a Sapphire or pro-line electric screen. My question is on what size of screen to get?I have a large window which will be in back of the screen (I intend to ceiling mount the screen), which Ideally I would like to cover approx 2.3 metres wide. I would also like the screen to drop infront of tv but behind centre speaker the total drop length from ceiliing to top of av rack 165cm.Given those dimensions I am looking at a 203cm x 113cm models which would give me a 92" screen.I know we guys like to go big but has anyone got any thoughts on if 92" is ideal or should I go bigger. should mention the viewing distance will be approx 3.5 metres.Any help and advice will be gratefully appreciated.

abacus

The Bigger the better, however check your projectors throw ratio to see if it will fill the screen from the position you mount it. (Go onto the projector manufactures web sites and you will find the throw ratio calculators on there)

Hope this helps

Bill

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
As mentioned above it's vital that you check the PJs throw ratio before ordering a screen!

I have a Epson 6000W and sit at 3.5m from a 92" screen and its perfect! mine comes down infront of my Plaz.I looked at the Saphire and Pro_line screens but went with a much cheaper option via eBay from Platinum Home Cinema. My set up is HERE

Here is a pic with my screen down:dance:

8192202817_600546ea5b_z.jpg

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
We've got a 2m wide electric screen and view from about 3.5m too.

This is fine, but if your chosen projector can handle the throw (there are calculation tables in the manual, usually), then 2.3m will be even better.

Also check vertical adjustment, from ceiling mounted lens height to the centre of the screen. My Sony HW15 does not have a lot of vertical adjustment, so I have it resting on a platform on a bookcase behind our ears. (Really quiet btw).

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
ps. We have a big window behind our screen.

I installed a tv lift from these guys which lowers the tv plasma screen down below window level when not in use.

http://www.tv-lifts.co.uk/lifts.asp

Really cool, and was a requirement from Mrs C, or I wouldn't have been allowed to site everything in front of the window.

The projector screen lowers (using the 12v trigger from the a/v receiver), and descends just in front of the tv screen if it is up.

zenculture

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, the projector I am looking at is the Benq W1080ST which for a 100" screen would be a throw distance of less the 2m, which would mean that would have the projector in front of my viewing area.

a further question if that was the case how high a stand would I need so that the proj would be in the right position for the screen (bottom of screen aprox 77cm from floor) but not so high it would obscure part of the screen.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It's ok. The Benq will make a 100" picture from a minimum of 2 metres, but that doesn't mean that you have to mount it at 2 metres. you can mount it further back and use the projectors zoom to bring the picture down in size to fit the screen. For example, my projector threw out a picture of around 110" when I ceiling mounted it, and I used it's manual zoom to bring it back down to fill my 106" screen. Hope this helps (and gives you some relief that you dont have to have the projector in the middle of the lounge!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts