Are KEF X300A simply active versions of Kef R100 speakers ?

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
:quest: Are KEF X300A simply active versions of Kef R100 speakers ? Apart from the obvious use a PC speakers via USB what will people end up using them for in addition?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They have been designed as high quality computer monitors. Who knows what KEF have in store for us in the future? The technology is now in place for them to produce active speakers, so it could be a matter of time before we see models specifically designed for the home hi-fi market. Who knows?! :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stuartayling said:
Apart from the obvious use a PC speakers via USB what will people end up using them for in addition?

Nothing much (unless you know of any pre-amps with USB output).

I suppose you could connect a DAC using an RCA - 3.5mm minijack lead (to get more flexible digital connectivity) but that would be a bit daft as it would mean two conversions of the signal (D to A then A to D again) rather than just one. (Not to mention the additional expense,)

It is a pity that the X300a didn't come equipped with - at least - an optical connection as well as USB.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
They have been designed as high quality computer monitors. Who knows what KEF have in store for us in the future? The technology is now in place for them to produce active speakers, so it could be a matter of time before we see models specifically designed for the home hi-fi market. Who knows?! :)

Yes, well, you'd jump to the defence of KEF even if wet string were the only means of connection :)

I would look to B&W for more progress in this direction.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would not expect active speakers to be the same price as passives, for 1 thing they have 2 amps in each speakers, so generally are about 2x the price, see AE versions of passive and active.

Yes active version of the LS50s could be good.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Yes, well, you'd jump to the defence of KEF even if wet string were the only means of connection :)

It is hardly "defence" Chebby - just stating a fact. These don't interest me in the slightlest, so say what you will about them. All I'm saying is that these are designed as PC speakers.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

KEF produced magnificent active loudspeakers in the past, one of which was the mighty KM1.

I remember 1st hearing the mighty KM1, it used eight amplifiers in total with a combined wattage of 3,000W. With the equalizer the bass response went down to a few Hz… awesome! Maximum SPL was 126dB with less than 1dB volume compression.

These did not go down well with many studios at the time because they were TOO clean and articulate.

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/Professional_Series_km1/index.html[/b]

There was an earlier model produced for the BBC with the designation of KEF 5/1AC

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/museum/1970s/Reference_Series_5_1ac/index.html

The KEF X300A is just simply a magnificent Hi-Fi loudspeaker designed to be used with computers.

Naught wrong with that, it is still Hi-Fi, go listen to a pair and your ears as well as your computer will love you forever!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

I would look to B&W for more progress in this direction.

How much is it a meter ?.........:?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
chebby said:
alchemist 1 said:
How much is it a meter ?.........:?

Depends on whether you want to buy the directional water from 'L'eau de L'absurdité' to wet it with.* (Specify hard or soft when placing order.)

*May attract nuts.

Do you provide a string wetting service, or do your clients have to wet the string at home? I was just thinking of this ...

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/51-cable-burn-in-service

So you are asking "with what shall I wet it?"

I would suggest a bucket from our LAB division ("Liza's Audiophile Buckets").*

*May contain straw.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
stuartayling said:
:quest: Are KEF X300A simply active versions of Kef R100 speakers ?

I doubt it. In the US the X300A costs $800, while the R100 costs $1200. I suspect the X300A is either an amplified, stripped down R100 or a souped up Q300.

stuartayling said:
Apart from the obvious use a PC speakers via USB what will people end up using them for in addition?

Nothing. Why would you need to use it for anything else? Contrary to traditional HiFi disdain for computers, all you need is a comfy chair and you can have a wonderful nearfield listening experience at your computer desk.

manicm

Ajani said:
Nothing. Why would you need to use it for anything else? Contrary to traditional HiFi disdain for computers, all you need is a comfy chair and you can have a wonderful nearfield listening experience at your computer desk.

True, but it doesn't beat having a wonderful experience lying down on the sofa. As I've now discovered, a good lie-down sofa is a critical component of the hifi chain.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Ajani said:

True, but it doesn't beat having a wonderful experience lying down on the sofa. As I've now discovered, a good lie-down sofa is a critical component of the hifi chain.

A comfy sofa certainly adds a great deal of value to the HiFi experience, but so too can a nice reclining chair and a footrest!

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok ignore my question about whether they will be used for anything other than on a pc desk but I'd still be interested to know if these are active versions of Kef R100 or if they are very different? :)

TRENDING THREADS