Arcam vs Naim

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
How would you compare Naim to Arcam? Arcam setup is normally more expensive but the old AMP/CD is on sale now and I was wondering how do they compare.

These are 3 systems (I prefer to have both parts from the same manufacturer)

Naim Nait5i + CD5i ~ £1600
Arcam A38 + CD37 ~ £2200
Arcam A32 + CD36 ~ £1400 (on sale)

This will be connected most likely to PMC GB1i (still waiting for my local shop to get them)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
madeinstein:

How would you compare Naim to Arcam? Arcam setup is normally more expensive but the old AMP/CD is on sale now and I was wondering how do they compare.

These are 3 systems (I prefer to have both parts from the same manufacturer)

Naim Nait5i + CD5i ~ £1600
Arcam A38 + CD37 ~ £2200
Arcam A32 + CD36 ~ £1400 (on sale)

This will be connected most likely to PMC GB1i (still waiting for my local shop to get them)

Try and pair the Naims with a small speaker with tightly controlled bass and a good treble unit such as epos/rega or the much suggested Neats.

Combine the arcams with an energetic, lively speaker with good tight bass or you'll find they lack drive/impact.

A

Anonymous

For GB1is, I would be looking towards the A32 + CD36 combination as they need quite alot of power behind them to get the best from them. As Drummerman said, Arcam amps need more exciting speakers - which I believe the PMCs are. However, they also have quite tight bass, so would suit the low damping factor of the Naim. The A32 is an INCREDIBLY powerful amplifier (although it doesn't seem it as it has an electronic volume control system) and the CD36 is a very neutral amplifier - however, the Naim sound may suit you more if you like a more upfront, exciting sound (although it causes the ear to fatigue earlier!)

What sort of music do you listen to, and what size room do you have?

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:What sort of music do you listen to, and what size room do you have?

Thanks H, I listen to all sort of music from classical to pop/rock although my favorite recently is Rodrigo Y Gabriela, try Tamacun or Diablo Rojo I think it's brilliant. Johnny Cash, Pink Floyd, REM, Editors and from classical Mozart Requiem Dies Irae probably one of the best pieces of classical music I've heard.

And the setup is going to be in reception 4x5m. I've got 50'' pioneer recently and I was planning to buy AV Receiver but I've decided to go with only 2 speakers (floorstanders) and stereo amp which will be used for both music and movies.

I tried Arcam AVR350/Onkyo 875 with PMC GB1(old model)/B&W CM7 few weeks ago and Arcam was definetly better than Onkyo for CD music and on the speaker side B&W was heavier on base, but I wasn't sure which one I would choose. I'm waiting for my local shop to get the GB1i and then I'm going to go to listen to some stereo amps. I think they do Naim, Arcam, Linn etc..

In my room the speakers are going to be fairly close to the wall so PMC looks like a better choice than B&W from what I've heard.

Some people also said that Primare I30 + CD31 is a very good combination, but couldn't find it in the local shop.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Let your ears do the talking. In my experience Arcam is better if you want the music to sound how it was intended, Naim is mor agile and upfront. I can't fault my Arcam system at the moment and find the Naim sound a little too much, having said that I'm talking about Naim kit from a few years ago rather than the new stuff.

Do a demo and post the results here.

PMC or ProAc, or Dali would be a good choice. I have both of the latters and they work well with Arcam.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Studio 130 or 140 floorstanders or even Tablette Reference 8 Signature if you want small boxes that really sing.

Dali Ikon 6 for £900 would be good and save you some dosh, but maybe try audiologica.co.uk and see if you can get some ex demo Mentors if you fancy spending a bit more. All good speakers, I have the Dalis set up as 2 speakers for movies through my stereo amps and they really add to the experience even on non-action movies.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for my late reply - I was out shopping!

For the music you listen to (and I am going back on myself here) the Naim system may sound more suited - you see, Naim systems really bring out the rhythm in music and are therefore great for accoustic (of which you seem to enjoy!) and they provide a more entertaining listen to classical music (which I detest on Arcam equipment because it doesn't have any life to it, then again, I'm not factoring in my musical taste!), but for things like Pink Floyd (*takes hat off!*) and other rock music (Roxy Music, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Led Zep) the Arcam excels - it provides the power needed for the music and the soundstage needed to get the sense of scale and Arcams allow you to crank the volume due to the lack of hard edged treble and high-end distortion.

But as said above, it's YOUR ears which count - take YOUR music to the dealer and play it at YOUR volume...

Oh, and reading above, it seems you tried an AV amplifier before. The difference between an AV amplifier and a Stereo Hi-Fi amplifier is amazing...the sense of scale, timing, transients (short snap between quiet and loud - sorry to sound patronising) and soundstage are far superior on a stereo amplifier...then again, 7.1 can be fun from time to time!

A

Anonymous

JoelSim: Arcam is better if you want the music to sound how it was intended

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:JoelSim: Arcam is better if you want the music to sound how it was intended

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Sorry, I forgot that Naim really provide that true hi-fi sound - really natural and balanced - oh and I havn't even mentioned the really accurate tonality Primare have. Colouration? Forget it!

Lowest form of wit? Never...

matthewpiano

I've had various bits of kit from both manufacturers and have heard quite a bit as well. I agree completely with Hughes123 about classical music on Arcam gear. Whenever I've had Arcam stuff I've virtually stopped listening to orchestral music because it sounds so lifeless. Rock music CAN sound good if the recording is decent but I always find Arcam is best at acoustic folk/singer-songwriter type material and easy listening. Also be aware that Arcam gear tends to be very revealing of poorer recordings and, although some might see this as a strength, I think its a shame if some material becomes unlistenable as a result.

The Naim sound has joie de vivre in spades but I'd still say its not ideal for classical music as imaging and soundstaging, whilst decent, aren't particular Naim strengths. Even with the latest Nait 5i, you can sometimes feel like the players in the orchestra are jumbled up or moving around. Rock music has loads of drive and attack though, and the Naim combo is great fun - your toes will not stop tapping.

I would say listen to both but also look at other options which perhaps sit in between the two sounds. I'm hugely impressed with my Cambridge Audio gear in terms of its ability to bring life, detail and excellent soundstaging to all types of music. It is quite a dry presentation though that might not suit everyone. I'd also be tempted to look at offerings from Cyrus who are making some spectacularly good kit at the moment. If you favour a warmer sound but with more life than Arcam can provide I'd also try some Creek and/or Primare.

I don't want to confuse the situation by adding brands in but there is more to hi-fi than just Arcam and Naim and one of these other brands might just give you a better balance for your musical tastes.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:

I don't want to confuse the situation by adding brands in but there is more to hi-fi than just Arcam and Naim and one of these other brands might just give you a better balance for your musical tastes.

Let's add Cyrus (direct sound, brilliant soundstage, plenty o'drive) and Roksan (good all-rounder and especially good at Rock) and the Yamaha AS1000 (which I havn't heard yet, but I bet anyone that is is the best on the market currently for under £1000 and that the Yamaha AS2000 is better than anything under the £1500 mark...please test it WHFS&V! Please? :)

matthewpiano

Hughes123:matthewpiano:

Let's add Cyrus (direct sound, brilliant soundstage, plenty o'drive) and Roksan (good all-rounder and especially good at Rock) and the Yamaha AS1000 (which I havn't heard yet, but I bet anyone that is is the best on the market currently for under £1000 and that the Yamaha AS2000 is better than anything under the £1500 mark...please test it WHFS&V! Please? :)

Those new Yamaha components look fabulous and I read a good review of one of the amps recently. Would be very interested in hearing them myself.

JoelSim:Let your ears do the talking. In my experience Arcam is better if you want the music to sound how it was intended, Naim is mor agile and upfront. I can't fault my Arcam system at the moment and find the Naim sound a little too much, having said that I'm talking about Naim kit from a few years ago rather than the new stuff. Do a demo and post the results here. PMC or ProAc, or Dali would be a good choice. I have both of the latters and they work well with Arcam.

I have to agree, in the main. If you prefer a more relaxed, undemanding sound then Arcam. By contrast, if your taste runs to a fairly fatiguing, in your face sound, go for the Naim [IMHO].

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:I do agree that classical isn't good on Arcam, in fact double agree.

I quite enjoy the Planets suite on my hi-fi.

I have to say how impressed I was with the 875 & the MT-30s while catching a bit of the Proms the other night. There was some guy who was red hot on the piano. It sounded wonderful.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Oh well thanks guys for all the replies but now it almost looks like an Arcam is no no for me.. I really enjoy acoustic music and quite like to listen to classical pieces and looks like I can find other brands that sound better in the similiar price range.. I need to check the yamaha definetly.. Re classical music, my friend listens to classical music mostly and my local shop recommended him Linn System with PMC speakers a while ago. I'm not sure if you had any chance to compare Linn products with others, but that might be yet another option I guess although it's probably more expensive.

A

Anonymous

madeinstein:And what do you think about much cheaper option like Cambridge Audio? Did you have a chance to compare this with Naim/Arcam?

I havn't yet heard the supposedly fantastic top-of-the-range CA systems, but they are apparently really good - could be what you are looking for! Traditionally, CA systems are quite dry in their presentation (oh dear, it's starting to sound like wine tasting again!) but soundstaging, timing and drive can be their forte - they are therefore probably gems at classical and accoustic.

Oh and please have a listen to the Yamaha components (AS1000 particularly) - I'm still trying to find a dealer who will let me audition them!

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Re: Hughes You sure you heard a Naim setup correctly.??
Naim wipes the floor with Arcam when it comes to rock music. And classical is better on Arcam than Naim.
Naim is known for rocking out. Rock is bland and boring on Arcam equipment in my opinion. However classical and jazz and vocal groups are superb.
All in my opinion after demoing both Brands

Hughes123:madeinstein:And what do you think about much cheaper option like Cambridge Audio? Did you have a chance to compare this with Naim/Arcam?

I havn't yet heard the supposedly fantastic top-of-the-range CA systems, but they are apparently really good - could be what you are looking for! Traditionally, CA systems are quite dry in their presentation (oh dear, it's starting to sound like wine tasting again!) but soundstaging, timing and drive can be their forte - they are therefore probably gems at classical and accoustic.
Oh and please have a listen to the Yamaha components (AS1000 particularly) - I'm still trying to find a dealer who will let me audition them!

You haven't mentioned the year, or whether it has a good 'nose'. Seriously, you are talking about a different animal. If matched correctly, I would choose the Arcam over the Cambridge IMHO.

I've heard my A65 with GB1's and it really impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts