Anybody heard the Arcam P80 power amp?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I've given up trying to find a P75+ on eBay, as they come around so infrequently. But, there's a P80 for less than 200 quid.

Worthy purchase? And do you think it'd work well with my A65+?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It will go very well and will help to make your B&W's sing even more :)

The P80 (or a P90 if you can get one for a good price) will be best to power the LF's as ytou use the intergrated to power the HF's).

The power amp will relly open up the soundstage on your speakers. If you get it, you'll notice a difference straight away.

Go for it and let us know how you get on :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am also thinking along these lines having just discovered a set of 'pre-out' connections on the back of my Arcam Mini-Solo. (And I clocked that P80 on ebay as well.)

Would a seperate power amp make any difference to the quality of sound even if I use the same volume levels? I tend to listen at fairly moderate levels with my Rega R3s.

Is the 'improvement' just more power/more volume or will there be any other advantage?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It's a definate improvement.

The power amp allows you to split the signal so you can use the integrated (or in your case the Solo) to power the HF's and use the power amp to power the LF's.

This opens up the soundstage. Makes the bass deeper, fuller and more controlled and allows the midrange to smooth out and become more refined.

Also the treble becomes more crisp and sweeter as it's being driven by one source!

To me, once i added the Arcam Alpha 9P to my set-up, i confirmed that it was a no-brainer. It makes a difference straight away

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:It's a definate improvement.

The power amp allows you to split the signal so you can use the integrated (or in your case the Solo) to power the HF's and use the power amp to power the LF's.

This opens up the soundstage. Makes the bass deeper, fuller and more controlled and allows the midrange to smooth out and become more refined.

Also the treble becomes more crisp and sweeter as it's being driven by one source!

To me, once i added the Arcam Alpha 9P to my set-up, i confirmed that it was a no-brainer. It makes a difference straight away

How would this work for my Rega 3s then? (They are not bi-wirable.) So I assume no quality improvement unless the speakers are biwirable?

Just more watts.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:d_a_n1979:It's a definate improvement. The power amp allows you to split the signal so you can use the integrated (or in your case the Solo) to power the HF's and use the power amp to power the LF's. This opens up the soundstage. Makes the bass deeper, fuller and more controlled and allows the midrange to smooth out and become more refined. Also the treble becomes more crisp and sweeter as it's being driven by one source! To me, once i added the Arcam Alpha 9P to my set-up, i confirmed that it was a no-brainer. It makes a difference straight away How would this work for my Rega 3s then? (They are not bi-wirable.) So I assume no quality improvement unless the speakers are biwirable?

Just more watts.

Some of the best speakers are not bi-wireable, a consiencious decision by the manufacturer in pursuit of better sound.. In your case more watts and perhaps greater control/better sound but clearly a try before you buy thing. Question is, why did you buy the solo in the first place? If it was a 'space' thing then there's really little point in adding big boxes and If you like the sound (which I believe you did not so long ago), why bother trying to gobble something together that will look odd to say the least?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes I love the sound they make and the power is more than enough for what I need especially as the R3s are fairly efficient. Just wondering aloud if there is a real qualatitive difference by using something like that bargain Arcam P80 (£195) - but at the same sound levels - or if it is just more power for more volume. You are right it would look a little messy. As I said, just thinking aloud.

I do have plans for a second (PC/Vinyl/DAC/bookshelf speakers) system in a different room and should not have been distracted from that mission by thoughts of power :)

A

Anonymous

I recently added a Bryston power amp and even at low levels, their feels more grip and control.

It may be worth a try and remember you can even hide the power amp if it 'slaves on' and use your solo amp as a pre.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... and why not mate. As good as the solo is, and it is, the amp section will always be the most limiting factor. Having said that, more power does'nt always mean better sound. One of the best amplifiers I have ever heard has only lower double digit power, just means partnering speakers have to be chosen with care but hey, you know all that and clearly found a good match with the R3's. Good choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts