Anybody been Record Shopping today?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Leftfield - Leftism

Oh yes a bit of a gamble - ebay purchase!

Was horrified to find it filthy, scuffed etc etc a quick clean and it plays superb

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Sky Larkin - Motto

National - Trouble Will Find Me

Both £14.99 from HMV Southampton. They had an alright selection mostly at reasonable prices.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've just won the first of 4 records I'm bidding on on eBay. An original of Slint - Spiderland. :)

A great LP, of course. Was it a good price? I'd like to compare it to the CD.

Sorry Charlie, missed the question.

It's not an original unfortiunately, but a slightly later issue. £13 with the postage.

Good pressing though, no clicks or pops, and I would say it sounds better than the CD (I do own the CD), but I'm unable to directly compare as my CD player is in the loft.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've just won the first of 4 records I'm bidding on on eBay. An original of Slint - Spiderland. :)

A great LP, of course. Was it a good price? I'd like to compare it to the CD.

Sorry Charlie, missed the question.

It's not an original unfortiunately, but a slightly later issue. £13 with the postage.

Good pressing though, no clicks or pops, and I would say it sounds better than the CD (I do own the CD), but I'm unable to directly compare as my CD player is in the loft.

I'll see if Jumbo or Relics have got it.

Love the album. Although it's another of those "student noise for boys bands" in Mrs CJ's opinion.

Her latest utterance/music critique came when I was playing The Fall's Kurious Oranj LP earlier on.

She said, "not only is he like a deaf man shouting but now it sounds like his blind band have fallen down the escalator".

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Her latest utterance/music critique came when I was playing The Fall's Kurious Oranj LP earlier on.

She said, "not only is he like a deaf man shouting but now it sounds like his blind band have fallen down the escalator".

:rofl:

I haven't heard that particular album, but I feel I know it well. A job at NME awaits I think.

My wife had never heard Slint before, and after asking "Is this Can?", and me replying "Errr...no", she said that she liked it.

She absolutely hated the Lloyd Cole album though, and after side one, I kind of agreed with her. :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just pre-ordered Beck's new one...due out on 24th Feb.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morning-Phase-VINYL-Beck/dp/B00HHYEOV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391596058&sr=8-1&keywords=beck+morning+phase+vinyl

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm searching for Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes.

Why oh why did I not buy this when I first heard her. :wall:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just missed out on The Congos - Heart Of The Congos on the Blood & Fire label last night on eBay, but at over £30 with postage, it went a bit higher than I was prepared to pay.

Better news though, my wife's cousin has just arrived with around 20 of my wife's records from Japan, including The Kinks, Rolling Stones, King Crimson, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Small Faces, and Radiohead.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just missed out on The Congos - Heart Of The Congos on the Blood & Fire label last night on eBay, but at over £30 with postage, it went a bit higher than I was prepared to pay.

Better news though, my wife's cousin has just arrived with around 20 of my wife's records from Japan, including The Kinks, Rolling Stones, King Crimson, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Small Faces, and Radiohead.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I've been looking for a vinyl copy of The Congos LP too. A rare thing indeed: a reggae LP that my wife actually asks to be played.

Your wife's newly arrived mini-collection looks good.

Question: why is that new Small Faces box so bleeding expensive? A former-moddette, my wife is craving it but the £100 plus price tag is rather off-putting.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've looked at the Small Faces box erm 'unboxing' with Kenny Jones and it's a thing of beauty indeed. It is ridiculously expensive but if I ever just, you know, casually, without really looking, came across one, I'd shell out without a second thought. I'd rather find an original mono 'Ogden's' in good nick though-very elusive; stereos are two a penny. Is 'Tin Soldier' the greatest British single ever? Is Steve Marriott's vocal the greatest ever-recorded performance? Yep, it is. Well if you came back with 'Strawberry Fields Forever' I might roll over. Or 'Paint It, Black.' Or 'Waterloo Sunset.' Or...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
I've been looking for a vinyl copy of The Congos LP too. A rare thing indeed: a reggae LP that my wife actually asks to be played.

It's an incredible album isn't it, almost psychedelic reggae. I have the Blood & Fire double CD, but why I didn't buy the vinyl instead, I'll never know. :?

There are some cheap reissues available which I'm tempted by, but I've heard the B&F reissue is the one to go for.

But this is very cheap, so I am tempted. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heart-Of-The-Congos-Congos-1993-Vinyl-New-/380828248293?pt=UK_Records&hash=item58ab21e8e5

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

It's an incredible album isn't it, almost psychedelic reggae. I have the Blood & Fire double CD, but why I didn't buy the vinyl instead, I'll never know. :?

There are some cheap reissues available which I'm tempted by, but I've heard the B&F reissue is the one to go for.

But this is very cheap, so I am tempted. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heart-Of-The-Congos-Congos-1993-Vinyl-New-/380828248293?pt=UK_Records&hash=item58ab21e8e5

That's a good description, psych-reggae.

Yep, my starting point was the re-issued double CD from a decade or so ago.

Need to rummage around the loft to find it though. For some reason it never got ripped to my Mac.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Rosanne Cash's new vinyl " The River and the Thread" arrived last night.

Just had one play but sounds great. She's helped by Derek Trucks on one track, and there's even Tony Joe White and Kris Kristofferson on another.

Looking forward to quite a few plays, although annoyingly it doesn't come with a download voucher or CD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-River-Thread-VINYL/dp/B00GO55OSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392122718&sr=8-1&keywords=roseanne+cash+vinyl

(I need to get to grips with this Amazon "Autorip" thing)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just back from Lisbon, and I managed to find a great little record shop there called Discoleccao.

Bought Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll and Treasure, and This Mortal Coil - Blood for 37 Euros in total, but I was so tempted to spend a lot more, as they had loads of great records.

Unfortunately I'm unable to play them for a little while, but the condition of the records looks great, so when the Roksan gets sorted, I'll give them a spin.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Picked up A.R Kane - Remixes for £1 at a charity shop today.

No idea what it's like, but I remembered the name from back in the day, and thought I'd give it a go for a quid.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat

I only know the title track, but it's been mentioned in the what are you listening to thread a few times, so I thought I'd give it a go.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:

I only know the title track, but it's been mentioned in the what are you listening to thread a few times, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Love that Album - On the Border my fave

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Marvindodgers said:

Love that Album - On the Border my fave

Cheers Steve, turns out on listening that I do know more than just the title track, including On The Border.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was given some records by a client today, with one real surprise gem amongst them.

Manfred Mann - The Greatest

Simon & Garfunkel - Concert In Central Park

Walker Brothers - The Immortal

John Lennon - The Collection

Abba - The Singles

Abba - Voulez-Vous

Abba - Arrival

Abba - Super Trouper

Abba - The Album

And the surprise gem:-

Jackie Mittoo - These Eyes 12" :grin:

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Denon PMA720AE turning up tomorrow so I've a session planned out.
It'll include but not be limited to my recent buys
Neneh Cherry - Blank Project Dum Dum Girls - Too True

TRENDING THREADS