Any bluray players which have dvd performance on a par with a dedicated player?

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
like a lot of other readers on these pages, ive a vast collection of dvds and have just started purchasing blurays. Im looking at getting a dedicated bluray player (currently using a ps3 for bluray playback) but i was wondering that out of any of the bluray players being tested now..looking at the denon transport and the pioneer lx71, is the dvd playback on a par with something like the pioneer dvlx50 or a marantz 7001 which are rated quiet highly by yourselves? or are there any bluray players which have already been tested which have comparable dvd quailty? or am i better of getting a dedicated dvd player like the marantz or the pioneer? I obviously want the bluray playback to be excellent in the first place but am i asking too much? what do my fellow forum readers think?

A

Anonymous

I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but I've heard good things re Marantz BD8002. If Marantz have managed to make the universal side of this Bluray as good as their 9600 and 7001, then it should certainly be worth checking out....I'm not sure of your max budget, or where you are in the world, but it's going for around $2000 in the US, a bit less in some parts of Asia - so following form, probably about twice as much in the UK !

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
asif:
like a lot of other readers on these pages, ive a vast collection of dvds and have just started purchasing blurays. Im looking at getting a dedicated bluray player (currently using a ps3 for bluray playback) but i was wondering that out of any of the bluray players being tested now..looking at the denon transport and the pioneer lx71, is the dvd playback on a par with something like the pioneer dvlx50 or a marantz 7001 which are rated quiet highly by yourselves? or are there any bluray players which have already been tested which have comparable dvd quailty? or am i better of getting a dedicated dvd player like the marantz or the pioneer? I obviously want the bluray playback to be excellent in the first place but am i asking too much? what do my fellow forum readers think?

We've got a test in our next issue (with subscribers any minute; in shops Thursday) of a Blu-ray player that's at least on a par with last year's Award-winning Marantz 7001 for playing DVDs...

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response sc. My budget is currently around £700-£800. However i have a very understanding other half so i maybe able to exceed this if its a top notch machine.

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Clare. Im eagerly awaiting next weeks issue and also the issue thats due out in mid-november for this years awards..Heres hoping the next four weeks fly by!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure you meant mid-October for the Awards issue - which is out October 16th - though i'd love it to be mid-November, as then we'd have longer to test!

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Apologies Clare, i stand corrected..i think ive near enough wished the whole of this year away hence im already in november!! May iask your opinion please clare? my set up consists of the pioneer 5090 plasma, monitor audio rs8 fronts, the monitor audio gold cente and gold rears and the monitor audio rsw12 sub. Amp is the onkyo 905. If i up my budget to around a £1000, could you possibly recommed some bluray players for me to go and demo? your opinion would be highly valued..Thankyou

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd love to give an instant answer to that, but we're still testing lots of new stuff - Sony BD-S550, Panasonic DMP-BD55, Pioneer LX71, Denon DVD-2500BT - and will only have all the answers by the time that Awards issue comes out

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts