Anthem MRX-710 - the av receiver that REALLY does music

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
A question I've seen pop up on this forum many times is from people who love their music but want multi-channel for movies too. And they don't really want to fill their lounge with lots of big black boxes.

So I thought it would be useful to flag up that the Anthem MRX-710 is most certainly an AV receiver that does music. It's a beautifully fluid completely natural sound with a fantastic tight controlled bass and excellent rhythm. The demo at the Bristol Show was with some Paradigm standmounts in 2.0 and 2.1 configurations (he swapped between the two during tracks so you could hear and feel the difference). The Anthem rep did say that the Paradigm sub (can't remember the model but was about £1500) was specifically designed for music: having excellent timing, fast and punchy. I can only concur.

The drum solo among other things being played was making a lot of grown men in the demo room smirk with child-like excitement. It was a superbly fun musical sound and (IMO) bettered stereo amps I heard that day from Creek (the 100A) and Exposure (3010 S2 x 2) by a long way and sounded more natural than the Hegel H80 or H160. The Hegel H160 at least managed to control the bass well, which so much I heard at Bristol failed to do, but at least the Hegel rep was canny enough to bolt some LS50's on the end which aren't exactly known for elephant seal quantities of flabby bass.

Which brings me back to the Anthem's chief selling point: NOT that it can do multi-channel too, but that it has Anthem's ARC room correction software. Getting a system to sound that good in a hotel demo room was a feat that this amp bettered than most, so why would we expect any different in our front rooms? In fact, to use a cliche, the room really did disappear. No bass boom, no resonance, just the music and nowt else. The lack of room correction seems to be quite an elephant in the room for mid to high end stereo amps. I couldn't recommend the Anthem highly enough.

(Sounds of pennies being saved).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts