Ruark R1 MK4 - Shuffle problem, always the same music tracks

Greenhorny

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello

I recently decided that I would like to be woken up by music again. Preferably with my own selected music. So I started looking for an MP3 alarm clock and came across the Ruark R1 MK4, which also has a radio, which wouldn't be necessary for me. However, you can also insert a USB-C stick into the Ruark, which contains the audio files.
You can't then select the tracks, they are played randomly (shuffle). This is also an advantage for waking up, because you are then woken up on different days by different or alternating pieces of music.
I then ordered the Ruark and bought a suitable USB stick. I also rummaged through my entire music collection for suitable music and transferred around 50 pieces of music to the stick. So I had everything together, I THOUGHT.
When the Ruark finally arrived, I created a provisional alarm profile for testing, selected the USB input as the source and, of course, plugged in the stick.
What followed was a big disappointment:
The Ruark switched on on time and also selected the music from the stick. Yippee.
However, when I repeated the process several times and switched off the Ruark in between, one of the same three pieces of music was selected again and again. In other words, by starting the Ruark none of the other 45 or so pieces were ever selected. If you let the Ruark run, all the other pieces would probably be played at some point. But, of course, this is not at all what I had in mind.

Question; is this only the case with the Ruark or perhaps with all other MP-3 alarm clocks with shuffle function? Do they always start with the same 1-3 files when they are switched on?
It could of course also be a defect. I had the feeling that the device came from a return anyway, as the screen film was quite creased and not smooth, as is usually the case with a new device.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Your English is fine. I was just trying to make a joke about your radio playing the same song every morning - it refers to the film Groundhog Day which is well worth watching if you haven't seen it before.

Sorry that my (obviously failed) attempt at humour has just confused you.

DCarmi

It depends on how the firmware is programmed to do "randomness". My guess is they are using a timestamp to seed the random number generator. Given it is working as an alarm the timestamp may not be fine-grained enough. I am assuming that, if you play from the USB stick not using the alarm, the track variability is greater?

Ruark have a customer support page with a enquiry form. You could always ask.

Greenhorny

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
The matter has been resolved. My mistake: I had copied m4a-Files (AppleLossless) to the stick, one of the few formats that the Ruark can't handle. It works with MP3 files.
Thanks for your time and greetings

Reactions: DCarmi and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts