Question An amplifier for Tannoy XT6F

Joao ferreira

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hello,
im looking a new amp to match my Tannoy XT6F. Currently, I own a Cambridge CXA60 and thinking about jumping to a Rega Elicit, Moon 240/250 or a Sugden AS21SE.
can you give me same advice / share your experience?
thanks in advice

Last edited by a moderator:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
What type of music do you listen to?
Do you want to rock out and party or sit for a longer period and relax?
And how do you find your current combination of Cambridge and Tannoys?

The reasons I ask is because the amplifiers you mention could be quite different paired with your Tannoys.

Reactions: rainsoothe
The amplifiers you mention will have a completely different presentation to your current amp.
For this, and any, step up in costs like this I would suggest you wait until you can audition for yourself..
As Jonathan says I would be interested in what is lacking in you current set-up and what sources you need to attach to the amp.

Reactions: rainsoothe

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I home demoed the predecessor to the XT6F, the DCT range against some Rega speakers and found the Rega speakers more to my liking - they were warmer, mellower, less in your face. If I wanted to party all day I would have chosen the Tannoys. I eventually purchased some Rega speakers and later home demoed the Elicit-R along with some other amps. The What Hifi review of the Rega Elicit-R says to take great care when matching that amp.
The What Hifi review of the Moon amp suggests it is a smoother/warmer amp, and I suspect from what I have read that the Sugden amp is also smoother/warmer.
But whilst I have heard the Elicit-R, it was not with your speakers in your room, and not paying the type of music you enjoy. So like many of us we can offer some advice based on any further information or clues you can give us to what your full set up is, and what type of music you like, and what you like and dislike about the current combination of your Cambridge amp and XT6F's.
We can give some pointers possibly, but really you need to wait until you can get the amps home to demo with your amp in your room.

Joao ferreira

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your support.
I perfectly know that it’s better listen previously the devices but it’s not possible to me. I listen a lot of genres, except metal, from ECM to hip hop, but especial folk and quiet songs. Some of my favourites are blue Nile, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, David Sylvian, Lamb chop, Angela Olsen, father John Misty, P J Harvey, Radiohead , Júlia Jolter, Laura Marling.
best

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I perfectly know that it’s better listen previously the devices but it’s not possible to me. I listen a lot of genres, except metal, from ECM to hip hop, but especial folk and quiet songs. Some of my favourites are blue Nile, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, David Sylvian, Lamb chop, Angela Olsen, father John Misty, P J Harvey, Radiohead , Júlia Jolter, Laura Marling.
best
What is your main source/s feeding your current amp & speakers?
Can you tell us what you like about the sound you get from your Cambridge amp and Tannoy speakers? and anything you don't like?
Is there anything in particular you are expecting from a new amp?

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
best
Hi Joao,
I agree with others, music should be the most important thing, if your equipment is stopping you from enjoying music, than maybe a change of taste by switching to other brand. The music you listen to are all very good in terms of production, so if there is an area where you think needs improving, for example more mid range for vocal projection? Better bass? etc.
The knowledge of different presentation only happens when you are exposed to different sound, if you have listened to other brands maybe you know the direction(tricky during the lockdown in terms of auditioning), maybe going with Cambridge but a better one, or go with different presentation other brands offer.
I currently use Moon 240i, it's very expressive, quite laid back, if you are into natural sound, I highly recommend it. I last amp was Plinius 8200mk2, it's very natural sounding, and a formidable amp that will drive most of the speakers very well. Also Roksan is one of my favorite, Caspian 2 is a quality all rounder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts