Question Speaker upgrade to Tannoy XT6F or Triangle Borea BR08 or Focal Chora 826

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys

Currently run Audiolab CDQ8200 into Audiolabe 8200P 2x100 watts power amp and Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE which I have had for 5 years and all sounds really good natural and very detailed but...... could it be better?? I feel like trying some more speakers to give a bit more bass.
Room is 5x4 mtrs and well furnished.

Have been looking at Speaker upgrade to S/H Tannoy XT6F - £400 or Triangle Borea BR08- £799 or Focal Chora 826 =£999. Due to Covid local shops not doing demos!!

Anybody been down the same route and offer any views/advice

Thanks

Hi guys

Currently run Audiolab CDQ8200 into Audiolabe 8200P 2x100 watts power amp and Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE which I have had for 5 years and all sounds really good natural and very detailed but...... could it be better?? I feel like trying some more speakers to give a bit more bass.
Room is 5x4 mtrs and well furnished.

Have been looking at Speaker upgrade to S/H Tannoy XT6F - £400 or Triangle Borea BR08- £799 or Focal Chora 826 =£999. Due to Covid local shops not doing demos!!

Anybody been down the same route and offer any views/advice

Thanks
Not the same route but, if you can fit them in your budget, those Focals should give you what you want. Excellent speakers

Reactions: lyricman
Only concern is room might be a bit small for the Focals. #also I can only have 300mm to the back wall.
I know they are quite large but feel they will fit into your room well. They are front -ported and do not require a large gap between them and the rear wall.
Please note I haven't heard the Triangles and they aren't that much smaller.
If you feel the middle ground is the way to go then the Triangles appear to be well regarded

Last edited:

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The Triangles have been re-listed at £550!!! I sent an email regarding receipt and warranty and have had no response :confused: . Concerns me a little as they could be fake, stolen etc. Also they have 2 pairs!! Anybody been scammed with items like this or should you not worry and bag a bargain?

Thanks for the advice. The Triangles have been re-listed at £550!!! I sent an email regarding receipt and warranty and have had no response :confused: . Concerns me a little as they could be fake, stolen etc. Also they have 2 pairs!! Anybody been scammed with items like this or should you not worry and bag a bargain?
Where are you attempting to buy them from, is it still eBay? They are unlikely to be fake and have a good claims department of anything is wrong with them. Check the persons ratings and wait for a reply to you message
However, if it's those that are payment on collection from Leeds I would avoid like the plague 😁
that's not how eBay works and the guys other listed items have nothing to do with hifi

Last edited:

robdmarsh

Yes, I think that listing looks well dodgy. Just a picture of part of the box! Is it a "fell off the back of a lorry" job?
I have seen genuine adverts for these speakers for about £600. Haven't heard them but I think Triangle is a fantastic brand who make wonderful speakers. Maybe worth keeping your eye out.

Yes, I think that listing looks well dodgy. Just a picture of part of the box! Is it a "fell off the back of a lorry" job?
I have seen genuine adverts for these speakers for about £600. Haven't heard them but I think Triangle is a fantastic brand who make wonderful speakers. Maybe worth keeping your eye out.
If they did fall off the back of a lorry then two pairs did..... :)

Thanks for the replies and it is on Ebay and YES!! they are in Leeds and payment on collection. :oops:
£799 are new from Richer Sounds.
I would leave well alone, stock photos only makes it look very dodgy, not to mention Leeds collection.... :)

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Thanks Al will give them a miss !!

Damn just ordered this NAD C268 Power amp couldn't resist for £449 from Sevenoaks. Seems Class D amps are now true Hifi at last.

Reactions: Gray

Damn just ordered this NAD C268 Power amp couldn't resist for £449 from Sevenoaks. Seems Class D amps are now true Hifi at last.

that's out of the blue. What's up with the Audiolabs?

Gray

That's what I call a discount.
EDIT: But just noticed it's an 'opened box' sale....hopefully you'll be OK, especially with a (full?) guarantee.

Last edited:

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
that's out of the blue. What's up with the Audiolabs?
Haha don't you love this HiFi hobby .. never satisfied!!
The Audiolab 8200P is good but just feel like trying something new that might be better and was curious about Class D. Had the Audiolab recapped and serviced at Audiolab who give a great service at a reasonable cost. I am sure I can sell the NAD for £400 if it is worse that the 8200P. The NAD has XLR to connect the CDQ.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

It says box opened but product never used!! Surely it will still come with a full warranty, won't it 😕
It should, but I expect you'll check and confirm.

While you're on to them I would also ask about the unused claim.
True, they could tell you anything, but it's worth just asking.
If it's been in their possession the whole time, then maybe. But if it's a customer return, there's no-way they can be certain.
Call me a sceptical old cynic (because that's what I am) but working in Service / Returns departments, I've witnessed dodgyness from retailers (and the odd customer).

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
It should, but I expect you'll check and confirm.
While you're on to them I would also ask about the unused description.
True, they could tell you anything, but it's worth just asking.
If it's been in their possession the whole time, then maybe. But if it's a customer return, there's no-way they can be certain.
Call me a sceptical old cynic (I am) but working in Service / Returns departments, I've witnessed dodgyness from retailers (and the odd customer).
Thank you for your advice and I have already emailed them to check the warranty status. They have an ex demo model too and that stipulates 2 year warranty for same price. Will let you know their response. I will phone them tomorrow. BTW I like old cynics ;)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts