admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I'm new here, so if this is a silly question, please make allowances!

I'm looking for a new amp. I listen mainly to classical music, much of it vocal. My budget is maxed out at £400. So far I seem to be getting pointed towards the Rotel RA-10. A friend mentioned the Marantz PM6004, which is a lot cheaper.

Does anyone have views about the Marantz v Rotel, or can anyone suggest other amps I might look at in this price range? I am using a fairly ancient Rotel CD player and a pair of Wharfedale bookcase speaker [can't recall what they are called- but they are 30 yrs old].

Any advice gratefully received.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Plenty of options, can you audition them, home demo?

Are your speakers on stands or shelves?

Also I would consider a used amp like the Arcam Alpha 9 which can be picked up for about £250 (reconditioned). Also NAD/Pioneer amps are worth a look.

Some find Rotel a bit too bright.

A

Anonymous

Home demo a bit tricky, I live in a fairly remote place, devoid of decent dealers.

The speakers are on shelves, well, on the top of low bookcases. When on stands, I found I got a lot of extraneous buzzing from the stands themselves.

When you say that some find Rotel too "bright", what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming it implies an over-emphasis on sharper sounds, so not as mellow for, say, cello music?

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Rotel can be bright with speakers that have edgy trebles, but with Wharfedale speakers there is no need to worry about that. In fact I think Wharfedales sound better with amplification that is a on the brighter side of neutral.

TRENDING THREADS