Question Amp for Wharfedale Diamond 12.4

Alextos

Sep 24, 2024
Visit site
Hi!

I have the Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 speakers and old Yamaha Ax-892 amplifier. I'm not really satisfied with the Yamaha sound, it seems a bit flat in the mid range and too detailed at highs.

I live in a region where you can't visit any hifi stores and listen various components and find your sound, so we have to search for information online.

I'm currently looking for a new amp with warmer and richer sound. It should have punchy bass (my Yamaha plays bass nice), warm mid range and smooth highs.

Music genres: extreme metal, modern pop, r'n'b, folk, ambient.

Source: CD, vinyl

I think about Arcam A5 / A15 (which will be better for my speakers?), Hegel H95, Rocksan K3. Help me choose between them or recomend anything else. Thanks in advance!

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Alextos, wellcome to the forum! You have very good and sensitive speakers in your Wharfedale Diamond 12.4. They are cappable of fast dynamic sound with power in bass and lots of details. With sensitivity 91 dB, you do not need extrem powerhouse amp but impedance has dips in bass down to 3.4 Ohm, so amp must be stable with very good power supply. From your selection is Hegel H95 a master of such "hardcore" amps able co control even difficult speakers. Hegel has power reserves to spare and also digital part with streaming is here very good one. Arcam will sound with less control here. Roksan K3 is a bit oposite: lots of power. It is better match for mid or low sensitivity speakers like Dynaudio. For your speakers and your requirement of "rocking" sound I will propose also Rega Elex mk4, which is excellent in sound department. It is also dynamic live sounding amp with more musicality than Hegel. Elex has very good MM phono preamp inside, for turntables. Hegel is missing phono preamp and Elex has a very good DAC inside like Hegel. Hegel has good streamer on the board. So those two amps will be in my final round. Decision is on you. BR.

Reactions: Alextos

Alextos

Sep 24, 2024
Visit site
Hi Integralista!

Thank you very much for your advice, it's much appreciated.
I'm sure Elex is an amazing amp, but it's out of my budget, while Hegel could be an option.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
A bit surprise, while Hegel H95 new one is in my country min. 1600 eur, Elex mk4 is 1400 eur. Also Elex-R (previous generation) is very good, power amp is the same as in Elex mk4. Preamp in Elex mk4 is improved and DAC is now implemented. But Hegel is also very good, no question. In principle, If you take new Elex mk4 + good small streamer (Bluesound Nano for 300 Eur) you are on similar money like new Hegel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts