Amp clips first beat of every new track

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a NAD VISO 5 and whilst I'm pretty happy with it I have two minor niggles. Am I being fussy here or have I got a duff one?

1. When listening to CDs the first beat of each new track is clipped. I had this experience with my old Marantz amp, but understood they'd mostly resolved this issue. It's definitely not as bad as it was with the Marantz where it could clip up to the first second off the track, but the NAD definitely starts tracks with a whimper not a bang.

2. I sit 3-4 metres from the unit, during quiet sections of CDs/DVDs can clearly hear the disc whirring/spinning in the unit.

I did expect a bit better for £1000, but I'm very happy with the sound quality.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I'd say #1 is just bizarre, it's got to be a fault, and I can't see how your retailer/manufacturer could dispute that if you were inclined to return the unit to be replaced/repaired. #2 is a fairly common 'problem' I think, but unless it's very loud I think you'll have trouble getting anyone to admit it's a fault.

On the first point I think you'd have the right to expect better if you'd paid £50 for an amp - If were you I'd return it and try to get a replacement.

matthewpiano

I agree completely with Dan on point 1.

In terms of transport noise, it is a common issue I'm afraid and I have found NAD players to be particularly bad for it. Its really irritating if you're listening to a quiet passage and all you can hear is 'tick-tick-tick-tick...'. As Dan says, probably not something the manufacturer or retailer will accept as a fault.

A

Anonymous

alfa_racer:

1. When listening to CDs the first beat of each new track is clipped. I had this experience with my old Marantz amp, but understood they'd mostly resolved this issue. It's definitely not as bad as it was with the Marantz where it could clip up to the first second off the track, but the NAD definitely starts tracks with a whimper not a bang.

I did expect a bit better for £1000, but I'm very happy with the sound quality.

I had that with a player I bought a few years back and it was obviously a design fault, the replacement and the dealers demo one were the same. Not noticeable on all CD tracks, some have a small (milliseconds) amount of silence before the music. I had to change to a different make/model.

TRENDING THREADS