New Year Resolution

MJOLNIR

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Happy Christmas everybody. I am new to this forum game and more used to writing to a letters column. This instantly gives a clue to both my age and faltering grip on technology.

I have a CD based Hifi system (approx 500 CDs): - a Marantz CD player, Marantz amplifier and a pair of Rogers speakers. All I want to do is be able to store all my music digitally with minimum loss of sound quality and be able to play it back through my system with the added luxury of playback into another room and headphones wirelessly.

The biggest problem that I have is that everyone I ask has a different answer and I now steer clear of the hifi sections of shops because all they do is tell me what components I need in an alien electronic language and never take the time to explain how things work or how they will link with my system. It is always the hard sell.

I read hifi magazines and trawl through internet forums in search of a simple answer, which I am sure is out there somewhere. In the meantime I have made no progress because the whole process is very daunting and like walking through mud.

There are those who are technically minded and their speak is well understood by certain sections of the readership. As far as I am concerned I might as well listen to a party political broadcast.

Long ago hifi magazines would publish diagrams showing how components linked together together with detailed instruction on how to get the best out of the system. All I find now is a raft of equipment reviews and technospeak which gets me nowhere.

Can you help me please? I have CD related repetetive strain injury (RSI) so this is urgent.

Have a good New Year

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy Christmas and welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for consensus, you might be waiting quite a while.

My suggestion (depending on budget) would be to demo Linn DSM with Kef R Series or LS50s.

:cheers:

Cno

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Merry Christmas MJOLNIR. Welcome to the forum. :)

It's easy to copy (aka rip) the music from your CD's and play it back from a computer without losing any sound quality. There are lots of different software programmes which can do this. One example of software which can both rip music from a CD and then play it back is iTunes which can by used on both PC's and Mac's.

To send the music wirelessly from your computer the simplest method would be to use an Apple Airport Express (aka AEX) wireless receiver which will also work with both PC's and Mac's. You simply plug the AEX into your amplifier and it will wirelessly receive any music from your computer and play it through your hifi. Easy. :)

If you go to a computer shop or Apple store they will be happy to show how to use iTunes and an AEX.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Steve 1979 has it dead right , AEX for 80 quid , 3.5 mm to phono lead at a tenner , download itunes for free and copy / rip / burn all your cd's lossless to your pc /mac . You plug the AEX into your amp and play.

You may have smart phone that can work as a remote for your PC , itunes works on windows machines

James

MJOLNIR

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks steve-1979

The response from everyone was great. Apple it is then. I realise what a wide subject it is depending on individual taste but it was simplicity I was after.

Cheers everybody

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts