Am I making a expensive mistake? Home cinema upgrade KEF T301 Mordaunt Short

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently upgraded my Mordaunt Short M902 & centre with a pair of those 'sexy' KEF 301 and T301c Centre ultr flat speakers. Pleased as punch but when you make a part upgrade it always put the rest of your system into doubt, hence my dilema.

The rest of my system consists of a Onkyo SR-608 AV amp, Mordaunt Short M309 active sub, 903 Bi Bipolar rears. Source units are my Virgin Tivo, unit, Pioneer 3D BDP-450 Blu-ray & WD box. Two Screens which is my 37" 3D Samsung tv (for day time) and Epson 3D TW5900 projector (for movies in darkness).

Before anyone jumps down my throat that my spakers are not matched by brand name, this is my first problem. They do sound good and the guys at Richer Sounds say I should keep the speakers as they are as the bipolars are rare (built in 2005) but still better than many modern units as sound more directional. Is this the case and was does the same apply to the sub?

If this is the case should I up grade the amp instead as like the look of the new Yamaha RXV673. My motive is nothing more than I fancy the change. But, would this be just a expensive mistake as wouldn't see any real improvement. I do not use my system for music as use a seperate Sonos system. So this is purley for movies

I do have about £1000 to but will I get a £1000 of value out of the upgrade??? Any help would be great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
As long as your fronts and centre are matched I wouldn't worry too much about the rears and sub being the same brand (I particularly wasn't impressed with the KEF sub that was shown with the T series when I saw a demo recently), particularly as you're not listening to music on the system. As long as you're still happy with how the rears and sub are performing I wouldn't upgrade just for sake of it.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Onkyo is still a very able unit and more than enough for your current system and requirements for movies. I dont think you need to worry about any elements in your system just yet. You say it sounds good, further reason not to touch it :)

This bug gets to us all, when we start to upgrade one element, we feel the need to change more things. For example I purchased a 55 inch Samsung and only 1 week later I'm thinking of my bluray player, adding a preamp and even changing the TV for a projector.

Don't waste your money until there is a real need to upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guy's your help is really appreciated and you have confirmed what RS have said so consistent information.

Although still temped by the Yamaha! lol. That said, i think I will 'park' until mid 2013 when 3-year warranty runs out on Onkyo.

Instead will concentrate on getting on setting.

Thanks again.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS