Question What bookshelf speakers should I get to change/upgrade Mordaunt Short 904s?

AThornton

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I have a pair of floor-standing Mordaunt Short 904s which I love but because of the room set up I’d like tochange to wall mounted speakers.
My current set up is:
Marantz pm6005 amp
Audio Technica AT-LP5
Marantz cd6000 cd player (which I hardly use)
Cambridge CXN digital player.

A good friend has recommended Q Acoustic Concept 30s.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I have a pair of floor-standing Mordaunt Short 904s which I love but because of the room set up I’d like tochange to wall mounted speakers.
My current set up is:
Marantz pm6005 amp
Audio Technica AT-LP5
Marantz cd6000 cd player (which I hardly use)
Cambridge CXN digital player.

A good friend has recommended Q Acoustic Concept 30s.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum.
I would not recommended mounting any speakers to the wall.
The Q Acoustics can be quite deep as speakers go so perhaps not the best start.
They are rear ported as well so another reason to avoid.
Does your good friend own these speakers? If so perhaps you could borrow vto try them out.

Reactions: Dom

AThornton

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. I will see if I can borrow them to give them a try.

With space considerations (and children) it’s wall mounting is going to be difficult to avoid. Would it mean having poor sound with any wall mounted speakers?

With space considerations (and children) it’s wall mounting is going to be difficult to avoid. Would it mean having poor sound with any wall mounted speakers?
It's never tgee best position to mount a speak but can understand when it comes to children.
Best to weigh a floorstander so that they cannot be knocked over.

If I can add my tuppence worth. When my daughter very young I considered standmounts and found floorstanders to be more stable.

If going for smaller speaker the better option is to buy heavy stands rather than sticking them on brackets or shelves.

Thanks for your help. I think I’ll have a rethink but I’ll give the Concept 30s a spin because it can’t hurt.
The more affordable QA range 3010i etc can be fitted with wall fixings which they sell for that purpose. The Concept 30 is too good for that, tbh! The earlier and smaller Concept 20 does have a wall mount too - that speaker is effectively discontinued but still on sale if you look around. It’s a super little design if you like black or white. (I own 3020i in walnut)

Reactions: AThornton

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts