Please help to find new Hi-Fi speakers?

Vitaliy

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Dear participants of the forum,In the beginning of my topic I want to excuse for the possible mistakes in English. But I hope you will understand me correctly.... I very like Hi-Fi music and now I have been trying to upgrade my home system. That's all started in 2007 when I bought my first budget Hi-Fi components – AV receiver Marantz SR4001 and floorstanders Mordaunt Short 914 Classic. Those times I was short of money that is why my Sony DVD player I was using as a CD player. I have forgotten to tell that I like eurodance, techno and progressive music, not jazz or classic. I was satisfied but… The next step in upgrading of my home system I made in 2011 when I replace Marantz SR4001 with Marantz SR5005, DVD Sony with Marantz UD5005 and I bought the Mordaunt Short full home cinema system (without subwoofer) – bookshelfs 902i and center speaker 905i. In 2001 I was trying to find a good budget system good in both – in cinema and music. But now I want very much to create a good Hi-Fi system (as I understand it will be budget but anyway) for music only. I have started with buying of Marantz CD6005 and Marantz PM6005 which were chosen as a best budget Hi-Fi stereo up to 500 pounds. Let me say that they a very good in performing with my Mordaunt Short 914 Classic. Anyway I have decided not to stop and replace my front Mordaunt-Short 914. I read many reviews, and visited HI-FI showrooms for listening. I have chosen the next loudspeakers:1. Bowers & Wilkins 682 S2 - very balanced acoustics. There are very good but unfortunately as I understood my Marantz PM6005 won’t be enough for them…2. Focal 926 Aria - classic French sound. In my opinion they have a very bright in high frequencies.3. New acoustic Klipsch RP-260F. Very interesting, but a little bit aggressive.4. Tannoy XT6F – they are very good in performance… And now the question is, who has dealt with this acoustics and what can give me advise? Therefore, I will be grateful to anyone who can say "yes" and "against" these speakers especially in connection with Marantz PM6005.Thank you in advance! P.S. I am sorry for such a long topic….

rainsoothe

Hi and welcome.

In my opinion, Dali are great partners for Marantz - so Dali Zensor 5 might be a good partner, but I don't know how they'd fare with your kind of music - they're more appropriate for jazz/blues. You should also consider Q Acoustics 3050 and the Focal Aria 926 (they shoudn't be bright with Marantz).

On the other hand, the Marantz might not be that appropriate for the type of music you're listening to - I, for one, would look at Nad and Rotel - that kind of stuff. Of course, you might like it - if you like and are used to the Marantz sound, then it will be an improvement. But if you wanna check out something new and have the option of returning the PM and CD6005, I would look at Nad C516BEE (or, if you also want streaming, Onkyo C-N7050) for cd player. For amp I would consider Nad C326BEE with B&W 683S2/Focal Aria 926, or used Rotel RA1520 or RA1062 with B&W 683S2 or Q Acoustics 3050. And if you're not sure you need floorstanders, look at the standmount variants of what I suggested.

Oh, and I almost forgot: with any of the cd players suggested above (or the CD6005 you already have), another good option for you should be Denon PMA 720 AE + Q Acoustics 3050. Actually, price-wise this should be a real great-sounding bargain - add an Onkyo C-N7050, and enjoy.

Vitaliy

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply.

1. About the Dali Zensor 5 - I compared them with the B&W 683S2 but not with my Marantz/ There were connected to Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite and NAD amplifier (I don't remeber the model). In this competition B&W 683S2 has won. The Dali's sound has reminded me the sound of my Mordount Short 914 (in my opinion).

2. I very want to find and to listen to Q Acoustics 3050. There are many good reviews in What Hi-Fi with 5 stars. But unfortunately I can't find them in Brussels or in Belgium at all... It is not the option to buy the loudspeakers without listening.

3. About the Nad C326BEE - will it be enough for B&W 683S2. As I understand this Nad amplifier is in the same category as Marantz PM6005?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vitaliy said:
I very want to find and to listen to Q Acoustics 3050. There are many good reviews in What Hi-Fi with 5 stars. But unfortunately I can't find them in Brussels or in Belgium at all... It is not the option to buy the loudspeakers without listening.

Hi, you could contact New Invor, the Belgian distributor for Q Acoustics (info@newinvor.com). They have a showroom in Mechelen (Malines), and they can probably point you to a dealer nearby too.

Don't buy without listening, that's right!

Vitaliy

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
DocG said:
Vitaliy said:
I very want to find and to listen to Q Acoustics 3050. There are many good reviews in What Hi-Fi with 5 stars. But unfortunately I can't find them in Brussels or in Belgium at all... It is not the option to buy the loudspeakers without listening.

Hi, you could contact New Invor, the Belgian distributor for Q Acoustics (info@newinvor.com). They have a showroom in Mechelen (Malines), and they can probably point you to a dealer nearby too.

Don't buy without listening, that's right!

Thank You very much! I will do it for sure...

rainsoothe

It's great that you auditioned the Dalis - imo, you really like the B&W and the only thing left to do is maybe check if the Q Acoustics might be for you or not. Mind you that pairing matters a lot - you need to pair Q Acoustics with more exciting amps.

If you really DO need floorstanders and have the space to accomodate the 683 s2 (they need a pretty big room), then imo you should look at used Rotel RA 1062 or RA1520 at least. I would try finding second hand Naim Nait XS, or maybe Rega Elex - R, Roksan Kandy K2 and maybe Nad and Arcam - those amps are what I would look at for pairing with the B&W for your type of music. Maybe also Hegel H80.

BUT!!!!!! If you like Marantz + B&W, then you can just stick with that!

TRENDING THREADS