Advice on long overdue upgrade to amp and speakers

Vonsees

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi
First time post in the forum although have been doing a lot of background reading as I embark on a major overhaul of my current set-up after 15 years (Marantz PM66SE and Mordaunt Short 812). I know nothing is going to replace an audition so really just looking for a few friendly pointers to know where I'm best directing myself from here.The plan is to ideally not spend more than £2k which needs to cover an amp, bookshelf speakers and cables. I have my music collection in FLAC and currently use Squeezebox to stream. Music is contemporary (pop, rock and dance) rather than classical or jazz. The listening space is 5m X 4m with tall ceilings.Looking at amps I'm quite keen on on the Arcam A29 or the Audiolab 8300A, partly because my furniture needs shallow dimensions. For the Audiolab I can also get a decent discount that would free up cash for speakers. So here a few initial questions I wondered if the forum could offer any wisdom on:Are these amps likely to deliver a significantly different musical presentation, and is either more suited to what I listen to?What bookshelf speakers are typically a good match for these amps? I read the KEF LS50 for Arcam but very little advice out there for Audiolab.For true hifi should I consider a different streamer or keep the Squeezebox but factor in the cost of a better DAC? Phew, long post. Hope someone out there made it to the end.Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A29 + LS50 is a great combination (IMO).

I would expect that you will find the Audiolab and Arcam will sound different, as they are from different ends of the sonic spectrum.

Other amps to consider might be from Creek, Rega, Peachtree and Croft.

You could also try the Kef R300.

A decent DAC from Chord, Arcam, Rega or Audiolab might put you over budget

Vonsees

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. The DAC upgrade can be put back a little. Still interested in whether anyone thinks it needs to be fixed at some point to do the new set-up justice.

Had also looked into the R300. Anything other than KEF I should seriously consider with these amps?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Q Acoustics, ATC and Spendor.

IMO. Upgrading the Source is worthwhile...but you will have to try this for yourself.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You really should listen to the LS50s. Then if you like music you buy something else.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

Vonsees

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't bring myself to read through the 30 odd pages of that thread. If that was the conclusion I'm glad to have it distilled so clearly for me ;)

rainsoothe

Hi. +1 for Arcam and Kef ls50 or Focal Aria 906.

Another very worthwile combo to audition is Naim Unitiqute 2 + Focal Aria 906 + Dnm Reson / Chord Clearway / Chord Rumour 2 speaker cable.

If you go the audiolab route, make sure you check Wharfedale Jade 3 - they're amazing speakers (probably my next upgrade, unless I get swayed by XTZ). They also match Naim perfectly, but need a bit of power, so either from Nait 5si upwards or bi-amp with Unitiqute 2+ Nap 100.

Oh, and of course, Naim Nait 5si - consider that as well. Partner it with Arcam irdac or iFi nano (or micro, i forget) dac. Ideally, pair Nait 5si with Wharfedale Jade 3.

philandsue

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded recently and listened to a collection of amps and speakers.

i was unimpressed with kef LS50 even when driven by rega elicit r.

I listened to the Arcam A29 and Kandy K2, and by chance the salesman had a Music Fidelity M3Si on the rack. As soon as I listened to that my mind was made up over the other two. Worth a try.

in terms of speakers, i settled on Focal Aria 604 which have wonderful detail and put across the tambre of acoustic instruments like nothing else I've heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts