Am I in a minority...

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... when it comes to Soul, Funk and Reggae music? Seems most mention their Pink Floyd, Led Zepp and other rock driven albums. I seem to be the only one who's a follower of the cool souls sounds and mod related artists.

Does that make you feel werry-werry -wonewee ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I quite like Funk but Soul tends to leave me somewhat cold and Reggae is the biggest pile of over-rated, repetitive, unimaginative crap in music history.

Having said that I can't stand Pink Floyd either and most popular 70s rock is horrible as well. Led Zep are alright though.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
the production on alot of reggea albums from the 70's & 80's are more than a match for rock productions of the same period...

Soul/funk/reggea ain't nuttun to be ashamed of baby, nuttun at all.....

michael hoy

Had some good times listening to this.

51d%2Bx1%2BUArL._SY450_.jpg

A great voice no longer with us.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Was a big soul fan in the 80's... Used to spend my hard earned cash at Bluebird records off the Edgware Road every month and spent many a night at the Hammersmith Odeon watching the likes of Luther Van Dross, Temptations, Alexander O'Neal, SOS Band and Lilo Thomas. Still have some of their CD's, but more into smooth Jazz nowadays.

Mac

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Plenty of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke, James Brown, The Neville Brothers, Sly & The Family Stone, ABC ( :oops: ), Terry Callier, Massive Attack, Tricky, Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Jimmy Cliff, among others, in my collection :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
So early Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hatherway.... don't appeal to you?

Love Stevie Wonder.

I had the popular "Hotter than July" and the lesser known "Journey through the secret life of plants."

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I used to listen to a soul show on Radio Orwell in the late 80's when I lived near Ipswich, I think the DJ was Buster Brooker (who turned out to be a bit of a rogue!) but I haven't listened to much recently, although I do catch Craig Charles' show every now and then. I really must listen to more, thanks for the prompt PP 8)

Good stuff.

With my siblings being a lot older I was brought up on Motown, Stax, Kinks, The Who, Small Faces... and became a little obsessed in the late 70s with Ska and Jazz/Funk acts of the day, as well as the real classic albums.

That said, I would say most of my albums/singles are still pop/rock orientated, with the likes of Lindisfarne, Andrew Gold, Rupert Holmes, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, as well as a few Zepp albums, Rainbow (Rainbow Rising), Status Quo (Dandruff era) or before Alan Lancaster left. And still one of my favourite albums is Thin Lizzy 'Live and Dangerous'. Wicked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts