Am I in a minority...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
How could I forget, THE ONE and ONLY, Mr RAY CHARLES I've 8 LPs and 2 are from the 50's in mono, love the sound ot them!

I'll buy every thing from him that i can put my hands on!

I take it you have "Genius loves company".....if not, it's a must get.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
How could I forget, THE ONE and ONLY, Mr RAY CHARLES I've 8 LPs and 2 are from the 50's in mono, love the sound ot them!

Yeah, I've hot an original Ray album, in mono, from 1962 (early best of...) and the sound quality is awesome.

But to test your woofers buy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7Kx2FlFQY

Wicked.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Amsterdam in a business tripand over here they have lot of second hand vinyl stores, i'm like a kid in a candy store!

I'm buying just Jazz, Blues, soul and funky they have a lot of variety and in very very good shape, mint, near mint!

Will post my shopping list in a few days! :grin:

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit of a newbie to funk but really love some recent discoveries...

Quantic Soul Orchestra - Pushin On

The Poets of Rhythm - Practice What You Preach

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

There's something about 70's production that's really tight & punchy too. Very difficult to stay still when playing these albums!

there's also a fab compilation of mainly 70's funk on Spotify, just called 'Funk - The Platinum Collection'

There's also the venerable Jamiroquoi.

michael hoy

CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I take it you have "Genius loves company".....if not, it's a must get.

Got this one from Monster records.

RayCHarles_glam.jpg

Mr. Iceman said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Or should've said: Can you feel the force? :bounce:

The Darkside is strong, young Padawan.
evil.png

My guess is that P.P. was thinking about the Real Thing's song, and not Star Wars...

This is one of my current youtube favs, more of a mindless italo-disco then funk, but no less fun.

:bounce:

Yip - as I'm talking about Soul, Funk one would think it logical.

Star Wars? PUH!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
As a bassist, it's pretty much expected of me to have a large soul, funk and reggae collection. Plus Motown, can't forget Motown.

Anything involving Bootsy Collins is just ear candy to me.

My top engineer was once 'borrowed' to do a tour with "Bootsies Rubber Band", late 70s i think, he thought they were great so I went along to see for myself, Hammersmith I think.

The show was a hoot, quite hiiarious, both intentionally and otherwise. Still cracks me up.

Bit of a disaster later in the toor, Bootsie 'fell off' his stack heals and for a while it was thought he had broken his ankle, just a bit of a strain fortunately.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... when it comes to Soul, Funk and Reggae music? Seems most mention their Pink Floyd, Led Zepp and other rock driven albums. I seem to be the only one who's a follower of the cool souls sounds and mod related artists.

Yes....

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Mid 80's - used to listen to Robbie Vincent late every Friday night on Radio 1 with my wife (girlfriend then). I still have some very faded shorthand notebook pages listing the artists and tracks I liked from that show.

Freddie Jackson tracks on our wedding video including 'You are my lady' :oops:

Tonight I'm gonna get out the Isley Brothers - 'Summer Breeze' :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts