Am I going deaf - PS3 vs CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was a bit bored this afternoon so thought I would compare the difference in sound quality between my Rotel RCD-06 and streamed audio from my laptop to my PS3. The test was simple, first I burned Radioheads In Rainbows (mainly because I am familiar with this album) to my laptop in lossless format. Next I got the CD Player and PS3 in time with each other so I could switch between the two on my amp.

I was surprised at how good the PS3 actually performed, its timing was close to equal with the rotel, with low frequency response also of a similar standard. The Rotel did out perform the PS3 in terms of outright dynamics and transparancy (but only slightly).

This therefore raises the question of am I going deaf or is the Rotel really not as good as i should be?

A

Anonymous

Please elaborate on how you implemented this.

Did you use analogue outputs from both into a stereo amp?

Or did you connect them digitally to a DAC?

A

Anonymous

PS3 to TV via HDMI (Chord Silver+ 1.3), TV to amp via RCA (QED Silver Spiral), CDP to amp RCA (QED Silver Spiral)

A

Anonymous

I ripped the CD into Windows Media Player with the lossless option selected

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, we've noted before that a) the PS3 is a lot happier playing streamed files/files from its hard disk than it is CDs; and b) that particular Rotel is only average by the standards of CD players in its class.....

A

Anonymous

You are using the media server feature on the PS3 and can play WMA lossless? The reason i am asking as mine tells me the format is unsupported.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Well, we've noted before that a) the PS3 is a lot happier playing streamed files/files from its hard disk than it is CDs; and b) that particular Rotel is only average by the standards of CD players in its class.....

[/quote]

A fair justification Claire, but if I was to replace the RCD-06 what would you suggest on a £6-800 budget? (Amp RA-05 & RB-06 bi-amped, Speakers KEF iQ5s)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]You are using the media server feature on the PS3 and can play WMA lossless? The reason i am asking as mine tells me the format is unsupported.[/quote]

Sorry not WMA lossless, just straight up WAV lossless

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ranglo"] if I was to replace the RCD-06 what would you suggest on a £6-800 budget? (Amp RA-05 & RB-06 bi-amped, Speakers KEF iQ5s)
[/quote] Well the obvious answer's the Rega Apollo - but with new players due in that price-point from Arcam, Cyrus and Marantz it might be worth sticking with your current system until you get a chance for some serious auditioning later in the summer!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ranglo"]
I was a bit bored this afternoon so thought I would compare the difference in sound quality between my Rotel RCD-06 and streamed audio from my laptop to my PS3. The test was simple, first I burned Radioheads In Rainbows (mainly because I am familiar with this album) to my laptop in lossless format. Next I got the CD Player and PS3 in time with each other so I could switch between the two on my amp.

I was surprised at how good the PS3 actually performed, its timing was close to equal with the rotel, with low frequency response also of a similar standard. The Rotel did out perform the PS3 in terms of outright dynamics and transparancy (but only slightly).

This therefore raises the question of am I going deaf or is the Rotel really not as good as i should be?
[/quote]Given that you noted yourself how little difference there was between a ps3 (not designed to play cds well) and your dedicated cd-player, I'm quite surprised you don't consider buying a separate dac. The only big difference between the two is apparently the transport; you already have a good cd-transport- now you can build on that. 600 to 800 would buy you a stellar dac that could double as a digital to analogue converter for your computer/mac/harddrive files.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
did you download the rainbow album off the internet in the first place and then burn to a disc as from memory when it was available for free download it wasn't available to download at a very high rate in the first place - or did you buy the album on release - can't rem what the settings were but they weren't great. So your poss comparing poor with poor -

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]did you download the rainbow album off the internet in the first place and then burn to a disc as from memory when it was available for free download it wasn't available to download at a very high rate in the first place - or did you buy the album on release - can't rem what the settings were but they weren't great. So your poss comparing poor with poor -[/quote]

The album was purchased on CD then ripped to Windows Media Player in WAV Lossless format. So the quality was the best it could be

A

Anonymous

The way you get the sound from the PS3 - analogue via the TV - is far from optimal, and if you can't tell much different I'd worry that the amp and speakers weren't showing the detail. CD players to my ears do get better as the price increases, but it is often subtle, and sadly £600 is much in terms of CD replay. Cyrus prices are going up too, and you won't get a 6SE for that money. The best option for you is to stream lossless files to the PS3 and connect the PS3 with an optical lead to AVI's ADM9s. They are active speakers with a top of the line Wolfson DAC built in and will offer a tidy solution with very high end sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi. I'm running a similar thread called Ipod Playing Lossless vs cd player, http://whathifi.com/forums/p/614/84002.aspx#84002. Maybe you'll find it interesting.

In my case, I can't tell the difference at all with these different sources, so I think you should be quite happy you can! Yes, maybe the difference is really very fine, and it doesn't justify spending £600 on a new cd player if you had to, but at least there is a difference and you can hear it!

A

Anonymous

Sorry, but I'm the one who is challenging you for the mp3 test! You've commented many times in that thread!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="darrenwm1"]The way you get the sound from the PS3 - analogue via the TV - is far from optimal, and if you can't tell much different I'd worry that the amp and speakers weren't showing the detail. [/quote]

There was certainly a difference between the CDP and PS3 - but just not as much as I expected. Have conducted the test again, this time with Elgars Cello concerto, must say the Rotel trumped the PS3 this time at picking out the subtleties.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]So what kind of price bracket is your cd player in...? [/quote]

The RCD 06 retails at £350 - if I was to buy now I would go for the Marantz at £270 instead

A

Anonymous

If you connect the PS3 to the TV using an HDMI lead, are you effectively using the DAC in the TV?!

A

Anonymous

I suppose I am yes, not the most scientific test at the end of the day
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts