Am I alone in thinking that Naim is rubbish?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:A little queerie about the above. I am sure that elswehere in the forum it has been said by What hifi staff that you buy kit rather than have it loaned. I cannot find that entry, so may be wrong, but what is the policy regards buying and getting loans?

Almost all the equipment tested in the magazine is provided on loan for review by manufacturers, as is the case with every other magazine in this market.

On the rare occasions when a manufacturer or distributor can't or won't supply product for review, and we feel it's a product of sufficient interest to our readers to merit it, we will - subject to magazine budget - buy a product for review

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Naim is completely rubbish. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

I see you've somewhat changed your opinion from earlier in this thread:

Octopo:

What a meagre choice of debate.

I would rather burn in the raging inferno of hell than swap my Nait for any Arcam, Cyrus or Cambridge.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Octopo:

I would rather burn in the raging inferno of hell than swap my Nait for any Arcam, Cyrus or Cambridge.

Completely correct Clare as usual. Naim is brilliant. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.ÿ

A

Anonymous

This thread isn't doing Naim any favours or WHF for that matter and it isn't constructive. It at least needs pruning IMO if not deleting.

A

Anonymous

Why on earth should this particular thread get deleted Ashley? Lets sink to to the levels we have to live amongst - NO ONE IS BOTHERERD.

I truly respect you for you're role in life and you seriously seem to have a passion for it too. Don't let stupid ignorants such as myself get in your way, life is a golf course of 22 holes as they say....

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
crikey this is getting surreal.

But, in an effort to bring things back on course... Naim amps have always seemed to me to be a little bit special. I remember my first trip to a hifi store when I was 19.... I looked in awe at a Naim system and thinking to myself one day I'll afford one.... I left the store with an Arcam Alpha 7 system with mission 750LE speakers. I still have that system.....well, it now has pride of place in my parent's living room....but i'm going dewy eyed right now...

But Naim is to many people aspirational kit, and to me has always deserved this tag.....until.....the HDX came along. But that's a whole different can of worms!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Hughes123:Andrew Everard:
Well, it would be a bit tricky to carry out reviews without talking to the manufacturers, as they tend to supply loan samples for testing.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you're on about or what the zipped mouth thing was meant to imply.

I wouldn't want to be banned, so I'll stay
emotion-16.gif

If you don't trust WHFS&V's reviews why read the magazine and why bother we these forums?

The accusations are completely unfounded and have been answered countless times. It gets a bit boring to hear people bringing out the old cliches about the hifi press.

I totally agree... It's one thing to disagree with some of the reviews (which is fine), but if you really think nothing of WHF, then why are you on this forum?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Octopo:

ÿ

I would like to point out at this very late stage that I am well and truly on the side of Naim Acoustics. Everybody else is completely wrong.

A

Anonymous

So, Naim is actually pretty good then?

I worry about myself arguing about hifi.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:Ah'm a saying nuttin...

I think one thing we can all take from the sporadic mentions of reality on this thread is that Naim are possibly the greatest manufacturer of hifi gear we have today.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

I think one thing we can all take from the sporadic mentions of reality on this thread is that Naim are possibly the greatest manufacturer of hifi gear we have today.

Bar Linn....and Arcam.....

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Octopo:

I think one thing we can all take from the sporadic mentions of reality on this thread is that Naim are possibly the greatest manufacturer of hifi gear we have today.ÿ

Bar Linn....and Arcam.....

Quite right, I forgot to mention Linn.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Octopo:
I am well and truly on the side of Naim Acoustics.

I'm sure Naim Audio will be delighted.

Bothered.ÿ

A

Anonymous

al7478:
somoene mentioned reality earlier.

in reality,its academic as most cant afford their stuff.

that could be more crudely put as "nobody cares".

?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Octopo:Bothered.ÿ

I know, it's so annoying when you get such a simple thing wrong, isn't it...?

ÿ

It is, Anfrew.ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:al7478:

somoene mentioned reality earlier.

in reality,its academic as most cant afford their stuff.

that could be more crudely put as "nobody cares".

?

oh i wasnt having a swipe at you, jsut the whole "naim - good/bad?" thing generally, and used the reality thing as a rubbish segue.

T

the record spot

To go back to the OP - this is one person's opinion! It makes not one jot of difference what PP thinks of Naim. So it doesn't cut it as far as he's concerned, there will be as many who think it does. I'd suggest the company makes pretty decent kit else the sell-on values on ebay alone wouldn't achieve what they do. So, pretty emotive to say they're rubbish, as well as wide of the mark.

Are you alone in thinking Naim are poor? No. Are you right? That's another matter entirely.

One man's meat....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts