Am I alone in thinking that Naim is rubbish?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
or maybe your weapon of choice isn't working?
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:That's Ms N to you - and if you can't follow a single post based on your own vegetable analogy then I suggest you call it a night.
emotion-2.gif

I still don't understand your original comment, and I'm not sure that's anything to do with alcohol. Just a language/state of mind thing peut-etre?

ÿ

JoelSim:

Handbags girls...

This is why hifi is so fascinating. One man's roast potatoes is another man's sprouts.

Cripes, all these vegetable analogies. If this post carries on in this manner the Government could adopt it and use it as part of 5-a-day.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sigh. To summarise - you said re hi-fi that one man's roast potatoes was another man's sprouts. I replied that at least people needed to have reasonable experience of potatoes and sprouts (as it were) to have a valid opinion (unlike many people replying to this thread).

Comprendez?ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:JoelSim:
Handbags girls...

This is why hifi is so fascinating. ÿOne man's roast potatoes is another man's sprouts.

Cripes, all these vegetable analogies. If this post carries on in this manner the Government could adopt it and use it as part of 5-a-day.

I can see an ad campaign coming on.

WHFSAV - FREE carrots with every TV!

ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:al7478:Clare Newsome:Hughes123:

Really Mr.E, you do doubt me quite often...

but then you do have previous - ie 'being economical with the truth' in your prize-winning Hi-fi World letter. And don't think us editors don't talk
emotion-14.gif

if you read eachothers sites, certain people may find out certain things sooner too lol!

Shocking though this might sound, we talk in the real world, too

Indeed, i got that when you said it in your previous post.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Sigh. To summarise - you said re hi-fi that one man's roast potatoes was another man's sprouts. I replied that at least people needed to have reasonable experience of potatoes and sprouts (as it were) to have a valid opinion (unlike many people replying to this thread).

Comprendez?ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

I do now. Thankfully. I was beginning to think I was thicker than the big print version of the complete works of William Shakespeareÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Clare Newsome:al7478:Clare Newsome:Hughes123:
Really Mr.E, you do doubt me quite often...ÿ

but then you do have previous - ie 'being economical with the truth' in your prize-winning Hi-fi World letter. And don't think us editors don't talk
emotion-14.gif

if you read eachothers sites, certain people may find out certain things sooner too lol!

Shocking though this might sound, we talk in the real world, too

Indeed, i got that when you said it in your previous post.

ÿ

I guessed that. Other people may appreciate (or not) the emphasis, though....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm going to pop a Nick Drake on now, it's been a tough day looking after the kids from 7 this morning, g/f working at Borough M, and outrageously deciding to go for a few drinks afterwards causing me to almost slice my finger off making home-made shawarma with a joint of lamb.

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Back to subject. My 'problem' with Naim is the price. Pound for pound it really is not great value for money. 25 year old technology with hardly any novel innovation and an incredible expensive 'upgrade' path which still leaves the system hopelessly underpowered, no matter what. Just look what you get with for example Cambridge Audio or, on the other hand, something like Denon, which leaves (imo) a Naim 5i standing in the cold when compared to a PMA1500AE. Supernait ... ? At over 2k with no discounts available it is no surprise they just launched the new 1.2k integrated which ... is 60watts again. Power is'nt everything but I've had the SN and heard it running out of steam all to early, compared to say AVI's or a Flying Mole at less than half price.

I certainly wont knock anyone for liking the brand but there's imo no doubt better and cheaper products that may lack some of the kudos but at the same time the crazy price tickets too. Something that became flaring obvious when I had the pleasure (and I'm not being sarcastic, it was nice to listen to) of hearing a 10k naim rig a few days ago. Nice but the same sound is imo achievable at a third of the price. Can't argue with the after sales service of the company.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Remind me to foresake kids, girlfriends and especially pets in my next life, just got in after a crafty salmon to find ghengis sitting in my sweet spot.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
Back to subject. My 'problem' with Naim is the price. Pound for pound it really is not great value for money. 25 year old technology with hardly any novel innovation and an incredible expensive 'upgrade' path which still leaves the system hopelessly underpowered, no matter what. Just look what you get with for example Cambridge Audio or, on the other hand, something like Denon, which leaves (imo) a Naim 5i standing in the cold when compared to a PMA1500AE. Supernait ... ? At over 2k with no discounts available it is no surprise they just launched the new 1.2k integrated which ... is 60watts again. Power is'nt everything but I've had the SN and heard it running out of steam all to early,ÿ compared to say AVI's or a Flying Mole at less than half price.

I certainly wont knock anyone for liking the brand but there's imo no doubt better and cheaper products that may lack some of the kudos but at the same time the crazy price tickets too. Something that became flaring obvious when I had the pleasure (and I'm not being sarcastic, it was nice to listen to) of hearing a 10k naim rig a few days ago. Nice but the same sound is imo achievable at a third of the price. Can't argue with the after sales service of the company.

I like roast potatoes that are crunchy on the outside and very soft in the middle, the g/f prefers them harder and with only a small amount of gravy, whereas I prefer them swimming. Analogy of course DM.

ÿ

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:drummerman:
Back to subject. My 'problem' with Naim is the price. Pound for pound it really is not great value for money. 25 year old technology with hardly any novel innovation and an incredible expensive 'upgrade' path which still leaves the system hopelessly underpowered, no matter what. Just look what you get with for example Cambridge Audio or, on the other hand, something like Denon, which leaves (imo) a Naim 5i standing in the cold when compared to a PMA1500AE. Supernait ... ? At over 2k with no discounts available it is no surprise they just launched the new 1.2k integrated which ... is 60watts again. Power is'nt everything but I've had the SN and heard it running out of steam all to early, compared to say AVI's or a Flying Mole at less than half price.

I like roast potatoes that are crunchy on the outside and very soft in the middle, the g/f prefers them harder and with only a small amount of gravy, whereas I prefer them swimming. Analogy of course DM.

Are we talking about Naim or Potatoes? I'm so confused...

Anyway, the problem with arguing about whether Naim is rubbish or even overpriced is simply the massive following that Naim has... Like with just about any brand, there are people who love the sound, hate the sound or are impartial to the sound... I've heard the exact same complaint from people about B&W speakers or Bryston Electronics (that better or the same can be had for far less money)... While the actual fans of those brands claim their gear is the best value for money...

I've never heard Naim gear, but the feedback from people who have owned / auditioned it, is that it works best with specific brands... Monitor Audio and Arcam (which the original poster combined the Nait 5i with) are not supposed to be a good match with Naim...

A

Anonymous

What a meagre choice of debate.

I would rather burn in the raging inferno of hell than swap my Nait for any Arcam, Cyrus or Cambridge.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Clare Newsome:Shocking though this might sound, we talk in the real world, too

There's a real world??? Now she tells me...

Real world? I always assumed Hawking was heading towards something different.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I have a Supernait which I would not swap for the world, expensive well certainly not cheap but then nor is a Bentley and as such I know the build quality is there.

I also know that it will keep me happy for years long after other brands are in the bargain basement section of ebay, and if I did have a brainstorm and decide to sell it I also know that it will achieve a very good price............

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Clare Newsome:Shocking though this might sound, we talk in the real world, too

There's a real world??? Now she tells me...

Welcome to the Matrix. Watch out for Mr Smith

A

Anonymous

Having heard the Nait 5i I would sum it up as being an excellent little amp that sounds a bit unnatural and requires considerate matching. Not for me, I prefer my Rotel as an integrated by quite a margin.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Having heard the Nait 5i I would sum it up as being an excellent little amp that sounds a bit unnatural and requires considerate matching. Not for me, I prefer my Rotel as an integrated by quite a margin.

That's exactly what it is. To me it adds enjoyment. To others it induces something I don't understand. I believe in subjectivism though why people can actively perpetrate against the Nait I don't understand, it's a magnificent amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts