All time favourate artists

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I have wrestled with this before. It,s so difficult to decide between the stuff you have listened to for ages and the excitement of recent discoveries. But the band I listen to more than any other is Grandaddy. Ironic really, as they are often described as lowfi.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My definition of all time favourites would be artists whos albums I would buy regardless of reviews, acclaim or hype...I would by a new album by any of the following artists immediately and without reservation...

Blue Nile

Elbow

Radiohead

Sting

Peter Gabriel

Kate Bush

James Taylor

Ok so it's all a bit commercial and mainstream...but it's what I like...
smiley-smile.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had different favourite artist at different times , but I still listen to them all .

Allman Brothers Band , Spirit , Echo and The Bunnymen , Joy Division , Cabaret Voltaire , Can (and all their solo projects ), Pere Ubu , Klaus Schulze , Wire (and most of their solo projects),Captain Beefheart , Yello and my present favourite Manuel Gottsching ( Ash Ra Tempel ) . Not very mainstream most of it , but I wouldn't like it if everyone else liked it ,

Nick

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Beatles
Neil Young
CSN & Y
Early Fleetwood Mac
Peter Green
John Mayall
Stones
Clapton
Keith Green
Don Francisco
Meatloaf
Van Morrison
Dire Straits
James Taylor
Joan Baez
Johnny Cash

To name a few

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for all the posts! You have all given me a very long list of bands/musicians I have not heard of before that I will start to investigate!

saintsboy

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Many and varied but those who have seen me through so far include Gary Numan, Marillion, The Alarm, Francis Dunnery, The Lilac Time, Aslan, Elbow, James Grant, Diesel Park West, Kraftwerk, Pele, Peter Murphy, Steven Lindsay.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Classic Prog: Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd

Dark Age Prog: Marillion, Pallas, Pendragon, IQ, Arena

Renaissance Prog: Karnataka, Magenta, Panic Room, The Reasoning

Prog Opera: Caamora

:)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Tori Amos, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Peter Hammill

Genesis (Gabriel era), Yes, King Crimson, Camel, Pink Floyd, ELP, Steve Hillage, Tangerine Dream, Twelfth Night, VDGG

Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, John McLaughlin

10cc

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Music that really gets me going (clenching fist and feeling alive) are Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow and Deep Purple. I guess I'm in the minority here :) although did see Deep Purple get a mention! James Brown gets a vote also.

Oh yeah, and Gary Moore! RIP

A

Anonymous

My top 6 in no particular order would be.....

Kraftwerk

Stone Roses

Primal Sceam

Radiohead

Sigur Ros

Small Faces.

John Duncan

Queen (first six albums)

Thin Lizzy

Kansas

Journey

Rush

Kate Bush

Joni Mitchell

Sarah McLachlan

Shawn Colvin

Indigo Girls

Eastmountainsouth/Peter Bradley Adams

Del Amitri

Danny Wilson

The Carpenters

A

Anonymous

although our oldies are without doubt the most golden (nothing can compete with nostagia) Adele is on my all time fav list after relatively short time. she is spectacular for vocals, emoting, connecting, drawing you in, goosebumps, great tunes and lyrics and she seems down to earth salt of the earth with it.

i would go so far as saying she is best female singer in the world at the moment and that other male and female vocalists/singers would agree with me-i know beyounce and rhianna do.

from a differant dimension matt molloy still floats my boat and mozart still dunks my biscuit.

of course I'd agree with queen, fleetwood mac, paul simon, sam cooke, otis reading, ray charles, oh crickey-almost forgot the legend that is bill withers.

anyone that plucks the strings of your soul is great and deserves there fav tag-even if its some drum and bass headbanger

A

Anonymous

If I had to choose 5 it would be:
Big Country
Sonic Youth
PWEI
The Waterboys
New Model Army

This covers quite a few bases for the types of music I listen to.
I Could also include as artists which I am really into:
Pearl Jam
Third Eye Blind
Seth Lakeman
Foo Fighters
The Cult
The Mission
Rush
Jethro Tull
Our Lady Peace
Plain Jane Automobile
Avenged Sevenfold
Metallica
Reuben
Tool
Story Of The Year
The Alarm

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
There's so many, but I suppose Led Zepp - Sabbath - Uriah Heep - Tull - Yes - GnR - Groundhogs - TYA - Lizzy - Kate Bush - Jeff Airplane - D Straits - Scorpions - Cream - Atomic Rooster - Free Wishbone Ash - Floyd. Rich

Paul.

I would classify my all time greats as the people who never get skipped, never makes me bored, Im always in to no matter what my mood. These would be:

BT

Hybrid

U.N.K.L.E

Imogen Heap

65DaysOfStatic

Jurrasic 5

Aesop Rock

Nine Inch Nails (the Fragile onwards, cant stomach the earlier stuff)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I would classify my all time greats as the people who never get skipped, never makes me bored, Im always in to no matter what my mood. These would be:

BT

Hybrid

U.N.K.L.E

Imogen Heap

65DaysOfStatic

Jurrasic 5

Aesop Rock

Nine Inch Nails (the Fragile onwards, cant stomach the earlier stuff)
How depressing. I have never heard of any these apart from Nine Inch Nails. Makes me feel old.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
1. The Mission

2. The Smiths/Morrissey

3. pearl Jam

4. Nick Cave

5. Chili peppers

6. Mansun

7. Neil Young

8. Thin Lizzy

8. New Order

9.Tindersticks

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
1. The Mission

2. The Smiths/Morrissey

3. pearl Jam

4. Nick Cave

5. Chili peppers

6. Mansun

7. Neil Young

8. Thin Lizzy

8. New Order

9.Tindersticks

Paul.

hammill said:
How depressing. I have never heard of any these apart from Nine Inch Nails. Makes me feel old.

Im 30 this year, so not that young! BT started out in the early 90's, Hybrid and U.N.K.L.E in the late 90's. Imy was on a Cadburys advert a few years back and I can guarantee you have heard 'Hide and Seek' in a film somewhere (the only one of hers I dont like). The top four are pretty successful in Electronic music terms, but for some reason the genre is usually defined by crap like Scooter...

65DaysOfStatic, they are something else all together however, most would find them a painful listen!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts