All time favourate artists

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all!

What are your all time favourite musical artists??? The artists that make your hairs stand on end whenever you listen to them. For me it has to be Jason Mraz and Katie Melua. I know they might me too mainstream for too people but Jason Mraz's acoustic album gets under my skin and he is mind blowing live. Katie melua is an artist I have huge respect for as she gets in the charts but she seems so sincere. Anyway they are my choices but I'd love to hear yours and the reasons why...

matthewpiano

Outside of my passion for western 'classical' music, I'd say the following count as my favourites of all time:

Barclay James Harvest

Strawbs

Pentangle

Ralph McTell

Steeleye Span

John Renbourn/The John Renbourn Group/John Renbourn's Ship of Fools

Fairport Convention

JoshRossouw

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I think I'd have to say Queen, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, but then I guess they're quite cliché favourites. I've got a pretty diverse taste in music (pretty awful in some cases), for example my friends laugh at my love of ABBA. Old Europe songs really take my breath away even if they are a bit cheesy. Antony and the Johnsons music is really moving, definately would recommend a listen to 'Hope There's Someone.' To be honest there's just too many brilliant bands out there, and I could spend a whole day talking about songs I enjoy, but as an all time favourite I'd probably go for a band like Zeppelin or maybe The Shins. Wow, I'm going to stop now. ( Love Katie Melua by the way.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi James

I think that the music you listen to as a teenager sticks with you always....and fixes your age! :(

Hence: Elton John; Fleetwood Mac; 10cc; Supertramp and Genisis.

Edit. Pink Floyd should have been in there.

Cno

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I can only think of a few at the moment & they are:-

basshunter,

taio cruz,

scooter,

faithless,

E-type.

I like other artist as well but i only have their singles & not their albums.

A

Anonymous

It's true that music you listen to as a teenager will always stick with you that's why every so often I will put on a Pink Floyd or Nine Inch Nails album. I think NIN's 'The Fragile' will be an album I will always look back to with a fond smile. I do sometimes find it hard to connect to older artists as I feel that good music can represent the feelings of a certain generation. Being only 25 I feel that I can connect in a very emotional way to many Jason Mraz songs. His studio albums can err on the cheesy love song side but once you have heard his acoustic album there is no doubting that he means every word he sings. Also I think his voice and sincerity are things rarely heard in today's mainstream sterile music charts. Katie melua has been a guilty please for a long time, she is immensely sincere and her voice is breathtaking. I will always have a soft spot for Pink Floys form my childhood days at the youth centre with my mum when PF and Meatloaf and other such alt bands were the staple diet of the people who spent time there. I so wonder how many people from a generation previous to mine find sincerity and heart in the music I now have learned to love...

A

Anonymous

Having read through my previous post I apologise for the spelling mistakes. One too many glasses of whiskey me thinks...

A

Anonymous

Rush, Zep, Redshift (electronic), Marillion, Yes, Ian Boddy, ARC, Band of Horses, New Order, RVW, Beethoven, Richard Strauss, Floyd, Zimmer (not the frame).

Currently.......
smiley-cool.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
slewis said:
I can only think of a few at the moment & they are:-

basshunter,

taio cruz,

scooter,

faithless,

E-type.

I like other artist as well but i only have their singles & not their albums.

Not Adele then? Do you really only own albums by 5 different artists?

If it's teenage kicks then it's obviously Pop Will Eat Itself and I still listen occasionally now, although they're an artist I don't need to listen to regularly, because I know it all so well.

Now? Medeski, Martin and Wood, I can't think of anything else that would fall into "All-time favourite artists", maybe The Doors, although they did do some dreadful stuff and some of Morrison's "poetry" is painful but then you get an LA Woman, a Riders on the Storm or a Roadhouse Blues and you forget all about it. There's a lot of other stuff I like but "All=time favourite" is a big pedestal to be put on, not many qualify.

idc

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Gomez

Secret Machines

The Pineapple Thief

Anekdoten

Mogwai

Thomas Newman

each one representing my favoured genres from traditional to modern prog to rock to indie and post rock and soundtracks.

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi

There are so many (great bands and artistes) I really like that it is going to be a very long list. Rather than going by Artiste / Album, I am a Singles (individual song) person. Here are (only) some of my song wise perosnal favorites:

Most of the Music of:

Jimi Hendrix

Simple Minds

Dire Straits

Pink Floyd

Guns N' Roses

Deep Purple

Rage Against The Machine

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

Aerosmith

Some Songs of:

Lynyrd Skynyrd (Sweet Home Alabama)

Gerry Rafferty (Baker Street)

Cat Stevens

Boston (More Than A feeling)

Emerson Lake & Palmer (Some Songs)

Filter

Iron Maiden

Moby

Alice in Chains

Van Halen

Tori Amos

Acroma

High Holy Days (All My Real Friends)

Carlos Santana (Black Magic Woman)

Mozart

The Cars (Drive)

Eels (Novacaine for the Soul)

Men At Work

Procupine Tree (Shallow)

Alter Bridge

Dark New Day

There are still many I have not included here. May be some other time.

Cheers!

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
My favourites would have to be:

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Led Zeppelin

R.E.M

The Smiths

C.S.N&Y and solo

The Byrds

Yes

ELP

Whitesnake

Deep Purple

Mostly Autumn

The Reasoning

Within Temptation

Heather Findlay

B.J.H

Pink Floyd

Gene Clark

I've just realised if I carry on, then this post will last for 10 pages, but the above are my all time favourites, at the moment.

A

Anonymous

If I were to name one band, it would be Aerosmith without a doubt.

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
To my already long but incomplete list, may I add the two unforgettables:

Nat King Cole

Frank Sinatra

I like all kinds of music. My journey in the vast and varied field of music has been from pop to rock to jazz to hard rock and alternative rock and finally classical music. With all my experience, I now find the classical orchestral treatment of rock music as symphonies to be the best kind of music, most enjoyable for listening.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson said:
During the last ten years or so:

My Morning Jacket

Wilco

Ryan Adams

Sufjan Stevens

In a lifetime:

The Smiths

Morrissey