All time favourate artists

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
hammill said:
How depressing. I have never heard of any these apart from Nine Inch Nails. Makes me feel old.

Im 30 this year, so not that young! BT started out in the early 90's, Hybrid and U.N.K.L.E in the late 90's. Imy was on a Cadburys advert a few years back and I can guarantee you have heard 'Hide and Seek' in a film somewhere (the only one of hers I dont like). The top four are pretty successful in Electronic music terms, but for some reason the genre is usually defined by crap like Scooter...

65DaysOfStatic, they are something else all together however, most would find them a painful listen!
Well my extra 20 years do make a difference... The only music I have from such "young" artists is Tori Amos and Rodrigo y Gabriela. A brief look shows this to be dance music, which is not my thing and may be a partial explanation of my ignorance.

A

Anonymous

stumpy66 said:
1. The Mission

2. The Smiths/Morrissey

3. pearl Jam

4. Nick Cave

5. Chili peppers

6. Mansun

7. Neil Young

8. Thin Lizzy

8. New Order

9.Tindersticks

With an avatar like that, I suppose The Mission would have to go at the top of the list.
I must admit I haven't got anything from them after Blue. Maybe I should get the last few albums at some point.

A

Anonymous

Paul Hobbs said:
hammill said:
How depressing. I have never heard of any these apart from Nine Inch Nails. Makes me feel old.

Im 30 this year, so not that young! BT started out in the early 90's, Hybrid and U.N.K.L.E in the late 90's. Imy was on a Cadburys advert a few years back and I can guarantee you have heard 'Hide and Seek' in a film somewhere (the only one of hers I dont like). The top four are pretty successful in Electronic music terms, but for some reason the genre is usually defined by crap like Scooter...

65DaysOfStatic, they are something else all together however, most would find them a painful listen!

I've just gone 43 and I would class NIN as one of my bands. After all Pretty Hate Machine first came out in 1989. I still think Head Like A Hole is a fantastic opener for a debut album. It certainly sounded good at The Gadget Show Live the last month when I played it on the Zeppelin Air on the B&W stand.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
you might be surprised then that Tori Amos is 47. She is one of my all time greats for sure.

Along with Muse, Radiohead, BRMC, elbow, doves, pearl jam, and Ryan Adams to name just a coulpe of artists i listen to very regulary.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_dude2 said:
you might be surprised then that Tori Amos is 47. She is one of my all time greats for sure.

Along with Muse, Radiohead, BRMC, elbow, doves, pearl jam, and Ryan Adams to name just a coulpe of artists i listen to very regulary.
No, not surprised - I knew that. Nevertheless, she is one of the youngest musicians in my collection. I probably listen to her as much as anyone these days.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
[/quote]No, not surprised - I knew that. Nevertheless, she is one of the youngest musicians in my collection. I probably listen to her as much as anyone these days.

[/quote]

sorry, for the assumption.

yes i listen to her a lot, especially a piano the collection. Some lovely sounding remixes on those discs. If ever i want to go "totally hifi" in my listening thats normally the first place i go.

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner said:
Paul Hobbs said:
hammill said:

I've just gone 43 and I would class NIN as one of my bands. After all Pretty Hate Machine first came out in 1989. I still think Head Like A Hole is a fantastic opener for a debut album. It certainly sounded good at The Gadget Show Live the last month when I played it on the Zeppelin Air on the B&W stand.

Head Like A Hole is a fantastic song! I think Pretty Hate Machine is a pretty good album full stop. Slightly cheesy at times but certainly a very good debut album. Im not a big fan of broken but id say all other NIN albums are really really good!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Head Like A Hole is a fantastic song! I think Pretty Hate Machine is a pretty good album full stop. Slightly cheesy at times but certainly a very good debut album. Im not a big fan of broken but id say all other NIN albums are really really good!

Interesting, I liked Broken and Fixed but The Downward Spiral just seemed to be more of the same, no progression, no development. I've never listened to anything by him since.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
james_LR90 said:

Interesting, I liked Broken and Fixed but The Downward Spiral just seemed to be more of the same, no progression, no development. I've never listened to anything by him since.

Yeah that is interersing as Broken and Fixed are my two least favourite NIN albums. I do like TDS but I think The Fragile is a much better album and I dont think there is a single song on The Fragile that I don't like. Stand out songs from The Fragile would be 'We're in this together' and 'The great below'. With Teeth was a bit of a hit and miss album but mostly enjoyable. Year Zero is my second favourite NIN album and the ARG around its release was fantastic. The slip was very good with some really catchy songs but not a patch on The Fragile. Ghosts is excellent for an instrumental album but it's not an album I listen to often. I think Trent Reznor is a very talented musician and in my opinion one of the greats of modern music. His live shows were always epic especially the Lights In The Sky/Wave Goodbye tours. I also really like the score him and Atticus did for the film The Social Network.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
David Bowie

Massive Attack

Stevie Wonder

The Clash

Neil Young

Goldfrapp

Kraftwerk

Bob Marley

Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry

Otis Redding

The Prodigy

Radiohead

Peter Gabriel

Burning Spear

Belleruche

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

Elbow

LCD Soundsystem

Antony & The Johnsons

A

Anonymous

right now it's

The Faceless,

Sunn O,

Jerry Goldsmith,

Mammatus,

The Faceless,

and

The Faceless.

A

Anonymous

james_LR90 said:
The_Lhc said:
james_LR90 said:

Yeah that is interersing as Broken and Fixed are my two least favourite NIN albums. I do like TDS but I think The Fragile is a much better album and I dont think there is a single song on The Fragile that I don't like. Stand out songs from The Fragile would be 'We're in this together' and 'The great below'. With Teeth was a bit of a hit and miss album but mostly enjoyable. Year Zero is my second favourite NIN album and the ARG around its release was fantastic. The slip was very good with some really catchy songs but not a patch on The Fragile. Ghosts is excellent for an instrumental album but it's not an album I listen to often. I think Trent Reznor is a very talented musician and in my opinion one of the greats of modern music. His live shows were always epic especially the Lights In The Sky/Wave Goodbye tours. I also really like the score him and Atticus did for the film The Social Network.

I think Slave Screams is a great track for trying a system out. Maybe just in a demo room rather than in an open shop.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Hi all! What are your all time favourite musical artists??? The artists that make your hairs stand on end whenever you listen to them. For me it has to be Jason Mraz and Katie Melua. I know they might me too mainstream for too people but Jason Mraz's acoustic album gets under my skin and he is mind blowing live. Katie melua is an artist I have huge respect for as she gets in the charts but she seems so sincere. Anyway they are my choices but I'd love to hear yours and the reasons why...

I love listening to Katie Melua – she makes me tingle and relax at the same time (so weird).

I really don’t get this “mainstream” thing; the music either does it for you or it doesn’t. Amongst others I listen to are - shock horror! – Girls Aloud, Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Christina Aguilera, even some *cough* Sugababes! On the flip side (again, amongst others), I listen to Floyd, Zep, Stones, Nirvana, Richard Thompson, (Home anybody?) etc.

Sorry if it sounds a bit of a rant, but that’s some of the mix I’ve been listening to for the past few hours!

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all;

my favourites in no particular order are

RUSH

PINK FLOYD

TANGERINE DREAM

GENESIS

DIO

RAINBOW

BLACK SABBATH