Album of the year 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
A few...

Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone

Steffi - World of the Waking State

Bicep - Bicep

Claro Intelecto - Exhilirator

Pauline Anna Strom - Trans-Millenia Music

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
jonboywalton75 said:
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "I Knew You When"

Thank goodness, someone I've heard of
embarrassed_smile.png

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

These are my best new albums of 2017 of ones I’ve bought and heard. One being best

1 big thief - capacity

2 public Service broadcasting - every valley

3 mogwai - another country’s sun

4 tosca - going going going

5 Japanese breakfast - soft sounds from another planet

6 Julie Byrne - not even happiness

7 cigarettes after sex - cigarettes after sex

8 Juanita stein - america

9 Jane weaver - modern kosmology

10 alt j - relaxer

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
These are my best new albums of 2017 of ones I’ve bought and heard. One being best

1 big thief - capacity

2 public Service broadcasting - every valley

3 mogwai - another country’s sun

4 tosca - going going going

5 Japanese breakfast - soft sounds from another planet

6 Julie Byrne - not even happiness

7 cigarettes after sex - cigarettes after sex

8 Juanita stein - america

9 Jane weaver - modern kosmology

10 alt j - relaxer

I know we have different taste in music but I'd rather listen to your list than that BBC. Already heard 3 of these and they were OK.

Edit
Or is it 4?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I'm ready to commit.
I'm going for Mogwai - every country's sun.
This was in top ten before, but I've really not heard that many new albums this year. But I was lucky enough to go and see them last week play in Glasgow, with Ride. Both bands were totally superb. Mogwai blew me away. I've not been to a concert in I don't know how many years. Maybe ten! I used to go to Glastonbury every year as I lived nearby and before they built "the wall" we could get in pretty cheap!
Anyway, this concert really hit me in the good spots! Totally revigorated me to get out and see more. The feeling of a band live (if good) really can't be beaten on hifi. I'm sure you all know this. Since seeing them last week, I've been listening to their albums again, and ECS quite a lot. Without a doubt, this album now has had an effect on me more than any other album this year. Well done Mogwai!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d put the lcd soundsystem album in there as well too, which rates in lots of album charts of 2017 but I’m not sure on the war on drugs album, which sounds a bit too similar to the old one (which was very good) so I missed it off. But the beauty of big thief, lovely vocals and melodies, stands out a mile for me. Also covers lots of genres ; indie rock/rock, female vocalist etc.

But the guardian one looks pretty decent for me. Not everything but some great albums in there like father John Misty (which I’d probably include in my list too) and Wolfe Alice

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

radiorog said:
Ok, I think I'm ready to commit. I'm going for Mogwai - every country's sun. This was in top ten before, but I've really not heard that many new albums this year. But I was lucky enough to go and see them last week play in Glasgow, with Ride. Both bands were totally superb. Mogwai blew me away. I've not been to a concert in I don't know how many years. Maybe ten! I used to go to Glastonbury every year as I lived nearby and before they built "the wall" we could get in pretty cheap! Anyway, this concert really hit me in the good spots! Totally revigorated me to get out and see more. The feeling of a band live (if good) really can't be beaten on hifi. I'm sure you all know this. Since seeing them last week, I've been listening to their albums again, and ECS quite a lot. Without a doubt, this album now has had an effect on me more than any other album this year. Well done Mogwai!

nice one, it really transforms the experience to hear it live and to get into music I reckon. I bought ecs and put it down for a bit after playing it once as I was listening to some other good stuff, then went into my record shop and heard it playing. I wanted to know what it was and realised I had it. It seems to combine lots of styles from rock, with guitars, electronic, chill out etc, and is very original. I put the public Service broadcasting album above it because the PSb album tells a tale and just really works as an album, and if you haven’t heard it and like that sort of music, I’d really recommend it. But the big thief album topped them all for me, for its melody, original unique vocals, and musicianship

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Sampha in 9th... oh dear.

If it makes any difference Guardian's list is as bad if not worse. However I'm judging this by snippets of songs I've tried as not heard most albums.

What a pile of p...

Only one I quite like is War on Drugs but not a patch on their previous album, I hate rap. I prefer Quest's list by a long way.

insider9

BigH said:
insider9 said:
Sampha in 9th... oh dear.

If it makes any difference Guardian's list is as bad if not worse. However I'm judging this by snippets of songs I've tried as not heard most albums.

What a pile of p...

Only one I quite like is War on Drugs but not a patch on their previous album, I hate rap. I prefer Quest's list by a long way. 
Hahaha, I had to endure Sampa but never again.

War on Drugs still to listen. Really like their previous album.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The only thing with war on drugs for me is that whilst it’s very decent, it does sound like a throwback to 80s music, with the same vocals and same quick step type beats and rhythms, which doesn’t make it sound too original. I really liked the previous album unto itself but unless they do something drastically different, which I doubt seeing this new album, it probably wont buy another one of their albums. A bit like a ‘Coldplay scenario’.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jason Isbell - The Nashville Sound
A possibility, but not as good as Southeastern.

Surprised that Lonon Grammar not getting a mention at all, again not as strong as their first album.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean, too similar to the previous one and not the sort of music that stands playing very often but I don't do that anyway. Really think 2017 is very poor year for me, 2016 was not any better. Maybe next year will bring some gems. I notice in the top albums lists very few, what I'd call, rock albums.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes I know what you mean, too similar to the previous one and not the sort of music that stands playing very often but I don't do that anyway. Really think 2017 is very poor year for me, 2016 was not any better. Maybe next year will bring some gems. I notice in the top albums lists very few, what I'd call, rock albums.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

2016 we had Agnes obel - citizen of glass. Fantastic album, easily the best that year for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts