Album of the year 2017

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

ive been thinking about the ones I’ve bought this year that have come out in 2017 and for an acoustic album I’d definetely give it to Big Thief - capacity, which ticks lots of tastes. Absolutely sublime album. Not one bad track, fantastic melodies.

https://youtu.be/G5OV1JPqlNQ

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure on mine, and no matter what I nominate, I know there will be hundreds out there that are probably better. Unfortunately Google play makes it almost impossible to search for new music since they took the genre search away, sonic hardly get to hear many of the albums I would genuinely be interested in....grrrrr.
But listening to radio 3 last night they awarded this album their folk award. Only heard one track so far, but sounded pretty cool.
Kronos Quartet - ladilikan

D

Deleted member 160668

Album of the year is a bit strong but the album I’ve probably listened to the most is Tom Misch, Beat Tape 2.

Was my summer soundtrack.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

That is pretty bad but I geuss that it’s intentions.

Imagine having it as funeral music. Lol

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Happy_Listener said:
My vote is for The War on Drugs album A Deeper Understanding. Check it out if you don't know them.

i quite liked the one last year (I think it came out) as albums of the year go, but I felt the new one is a bit like the old. Quite similar and they aren’t rocking melodies that are amazing, plus it has a somewhat dated 80esque sound, which isn’t a disadvantage but it’s not hugely original. That said I think they are a talented group. But the Big Thief album is in a different territory if you like similar rock music, indie rock etc, it’s a bloody sublime album.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

emcc_3 said:
Kamisa Washington- Harmony of difference. Though technically an EP a stunging jazz symphony.

Honourable mentions: LCD soundsystem- American dream Kelly Lee Owens- Kelly Lee Owens War on drugs- A Deeper understanding

+1 on lcd soundsystem. Quite good.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Kamisa Washington- Harmony of difference. Though technically an EP a stunning jazz symphony.

Honourable mentions:
LCD soundsystem- American dream
Kelly Lee Owens- Kelly Lee Owens
War on drugs- A Deeper understanding

Lost horizons. Ojala

I haven't heard anything this year totally outstanding..but this collaboration of Simon Raymonde(;cocteau twins) and Ritchie Thomas (jesus and Mary chain)with a varied mix of great vocalists has entertained me lately.....oh and I have to give a mention to "the little unsaid's "Imagined hymns and chaingang mantras....that I was introduced to on the forum.A mighty fine album.... and they're playing at Glasgow in March...I'll be going .

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Moh Lhean from the band Why?

I had that vinyl spinning so many times this year! Its the absolute gem of underrated albums from 2017. Its a breakthrough album on many levels.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

knaithrover said:
Or....

Father John Misty : Pure Comedy

like this, well written. Similar tempo tunes but seems to work as an album. Nice one.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't pick one album, as I've discovered so many and not necessarily from 2017

So here's a few:

Karine Polwart, A Pocket of Wind Resistance

Jack Harris, The Wide Afternoon

The Little Unsaid, Imagined Hymns and Chaingang Mantras

Phillip Henry and Hannah Martin, Edgelarks

Reannan Giddens, Freedom Heighway

There's been some albums that I'd been looking forward to their release, but ended up quite disappointed, The National Sleep Well Beast, Bella Hardy, Hey Sammy and Nick Mulvy, Wake Up Now

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Macspur said:
I can't pick one album, as I've discovered so many and not necessarily from 2017

So here's a few:

There's been some albums that I'd been looking forward to their release, but ended up quite disappointed, The National Sleep Well Beast, Bella Hardy, Hey Sammy and Nick Mulvy, Wake Up Now

Mac

Ill check them out thanks, and if I dont like them - well thats with me! but will say what I lilke.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Macspur said:

So here's a few:

Mac

Ill check them out thanks, and if I dont like them - well thats with me! but will say what I lilke.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts