• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

What are your best albums of 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
radiorog said:
Congratulations on finding blue lines. A life unfulfilled without this. Class album.
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Blue lines probably the best massive attack album for me, up there with protection.
I've had Mezzanine for a fow years but never tried the other albums before. Blue Lines is as brilliant as Mezzanine. Protection is alright as well but not as good as the other two.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
If you want another oldy but also newey this year and remastered with some mixed tracks, leftism 22 is fantastic. But leftism would be not one to miss too.
I'm giving it a go now and it sounds pretty cool. :)

UPDATE - I've just bought the original version on CD for 99p from Amazon. The new Remastered one has been butchered by the loudness wars so I'll give it a miss.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=leftism
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
If you missed leftism and like this class of music I'd recommend these if you missed them in the nineties

tricky - maxinquae

underworld - dubnobasswithyourheadman

boards of Canada - music has a right to children.

Ps some great tracks on mezzanine, but I liked the feel of protection with female vocal and melodies. If you like that kind of trip hoppy stuff maxinquae is great like that too. Great techno to underworld and boards of Canada groundbreaking downtempo ambient stuff.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
199
81
18,670
QuestForThe13thNote said:
If you missed leftism and like this class of music I'd recommend these if you missed them in the nineties

tricky - maxinquae

underworld - dubnobasswithyourheadman

boards of Canada - music has a right to children.

Ps some great tracks on mezzanine, but I liked the feel of protection with female vocal and melodies. If you like that kind of trip hoppy stuff maxinquae is great like that too. Great techno to underworld and boards of Canada groundbreaking downtempo ambient stuff.
I'd add Orbital the Orb and Portishead to that list
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Good tastes. Orbital snivilisation and portishead dummy are fantabulous albums. I like The orb too. How about too

Jam and spoon - tripomatic fairytales 1995

laurent garnier - mixmag vol 2 around 95 I think.

nightmares on wax - carboot soul 1999

ultramarine - every man and woman is a star 1991

chemical Bros - exit planet dust 1995

Oh yes and how could you forget aphex twin first selected ambient works album in 92.

sorry going off thread, maybe we should start another as fav 90s electronic / dance music.
 

knaithrover

Moderator
Nov 24, 2013
199
81
18,670
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Good tastes. Orbital snivilisation and portishead dummy are fantabulous albums. I like The orb too. How about too

Jam and spoon - tripomatic fairytales 1995

laurent garnier - mixmag vol 2 around 95 I think.

nightmares on wax - carboot soul 1999

ultramarine - every man and woman is a star 1991

chemical Bros - exit planet dust 1995

Oh yes and how could you forget aphex twin first selected ambient works album in 92.

sorry going off thread, maybe we should start another as fav 90s electronic / dance music.
Every man and woman is a star is an amazing album, still gets a spin in my house to this day
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Yes it's one of those albums that just gets right to core and doesn't loose its originality. I love tracks like honey and pansy etc. It's kind of folk techno, but with so many influences thrown in. It's own genre. They got labelled 'medieval techno' once.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
I'm going t have to sit down and have a proper listen to all of these albums. In the past I've had a quick flick through the tracks in Spotify and they sounded boring. The same mistake was made when I listened to Massive Attack too but once I gave it time to play a whole album from start to finnish I realised that they are brilliant.

This IMO is one of the problems with streaming rather than CDs. Streaming makes it too easy to flick around every few seconds without taking the time to give the music a proper chance to grow on you.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Agree with you on that. I listen to an album twice before I make my mind up. If it's really not my taste I wouldn't be listening anyway. But being open to the music, allows me to work out if it grows on me. If I am shut to this, I never can work out if I like it.

But the ultramarine album is a real grower, give it time and those lovely melodies and the way of the construction, just washes over you. Are you getting into this dance/electronic genre, not previously liking it. If you would like a full list of my favs, am happy to supply. Do you like the chill out downtempo genre? One of my favs.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
I never used to like this style of downtempo techno (or whatever it's called) but as I get older my music tastes havevmatured and diversified and it's really grown on me now.

I'm relatively new to this genre having originally descovered Portishead about seven years ago then Massive Attack a couple of years ago and Nightmares on Plastic last year. I quite like Tycho too which is a bit similar but more modern.

I could never get into Orbital, Leftfield etc but have to admit that I never tried them for more than a few seconds before making my mind up.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
QuestForThe13thNote said:
tricky - maxinquae
I don't like this one except for the one track 'Hell is Round the Corner' which is a belter.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
underworld - dubnobasswithyourheadman
Ahh yes I had this on tape in the 90's. Great album. I now have their greatest hits album which has all the best tracks of theirs except for Spoonman which I've just addd to my collection.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
boards of Canada - music has a right to children.
This reminds me of Tycho. Which is no bad thing.

knaithrover said:
I'd add Orbital the Orb and Portishead to that list
I've never been able to get into Orbital but The Orb's album 'Advntures Beyond the Ultraworld' might be good. I'll have a proper listen over the weekend.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Thanks will have to check them out. Albums like the shamen (en tact), enigma (mcm..... album), Dorfmeister early albums, are classic dance albums of the time too. I still love all the acid house stuff also.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
119
12
18,595
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Good tastes. Orbital snivilisation and portishead dummy are fantabulous albums. I like The orb too. How about too 

Jam and spoon - tripomatic fairytales 1995

laurent garnier - mixmag vol 2 around 95 I think. 

nightmares on wax - carboot soul 1999

ultramarine - every man and woman is a star 1991

chemical Bros - exit planet dust 1995

Oh yes and how could you forget aphex twin first selected ambient works album in 92.

sorry going off thread, maybe we should start another as fav 90s electronic / dance music. 
Still not got round to listening to snivilization in full. First couple of tracks didn't seem to come close to the the brown album or the green album, which are unsurpassable albums.
A little less known album which I find better than almost any other dance album I've heard (but you may have had to be there) is the album by e-zee posse. A group including MC kinky,boy George,Jeremy Healy and others. It's not the same kind of electro as orbital etc, more sort of house, but it's superb. But hard to find!
Also, speedy j. He had two insanely good albums. One is called ginger, and i currently forget the other, but it was the album either before or after these. These quite ambient albums are as good as most orb albums,and actually better in my opinion. Again,hard to find. I think most streaming sites only have his more hardcore tracks he did after these to incredible albums. You'll prob have to buy the cd on eBay if you can find them.
And if you like aphex twin, you may have heard polygon window? His alter ego at the time. A superb album. Seriously, immense.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
119
12
18,595
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Thanks will have to check them out. Albums like the shamen (en tact), enigma (mcm..... album), Dorfmeister early albums, are classic dance albums of the time too. I still love all the acid house stuff also. 
Seriously, these albums are so worth a hunt. I've genuinely not heard better. I wasn't into enigma at the time as it was a year or two after my dance days, and I thought the single was just poppy, but I got into the album a couple of years ago, and it's pretty good. The crosses one. But not a patch on the ones I mentioned.
Dorfmeister was good from what I remember, but again, morning the same class for me. Was a few years later too. I actually loved the shamens boss drum. A proper album from start to finish. They did an ambient album later (hempton mannor, I think it was called),which was ace, but again, not on streaming sites.
 
Feb 18, 2015
58
1
0
This thread is basically a house/techno /electronic music thread then and absolutely fu#k all to do with the best albums of 2017.it is only important if it's on QFTTN terms and the music HE LIKES ..not that they're is going to be that many good albums this year..it's a bit baron.But Mr Quest is a bit self obsessed imho.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
119
12
18,595
My albums of the year so far are the ones by:
Ride
Mogwai
Pumerosa
Goldie
Sufjan Stevens and co
Unkle
and although only heard it once so far, paramore's new album was a refreshing change to a well made pop album. Not a band I've ever listened to before, but this was a good album.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
119
12
18,595
steve_1979 said:
Just to take this thread further off topic than it aready is. ;)

I've found a 2 hour long 1994 set mixed by Leftfield which may be of interest to you guys.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Mix/leftfield-essential-mix-1994-08-06/

 
Nice
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
radiorog said:
My albums of the year so far are the ones by: Ride Mogwai Pumerosa Goldie Sufjan Stevens and co Unkle and although only heard it once so far, paramore's new album was a refreshing change to a well made pop album. Not a band I've ever listened to before, but this was a good album.
i bought the new mogwai album today which I like, still making my mind up on if it's a+ or not, but whatever worthwhile having.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Mark Rose-Smith said:
This thread is basically a house/techno /electronic music thread then and absolutely fu#k all to do with the best albums of 2017.it is only important if it's on QFTTN terms and the music HE LIKES ..not that they're is going to be that many good albums this year..it's a bit baron.But Mr Quest is a bit self obsessed imho.
well not really, I'd not heard of many of the groups listed. In fact I checked out big theif (capacity album), from this thread, and I think it's fantastic. So it's not all stuff I already liked. Imho Mr Smith probably doesn't take much time listening to new stuff, if he is so pesssimistic. So if anyone is obsessed, it's someone coming onto a thread to try and spoil it by professing no good new music in 2017 when the year is not even done yet. And who cares if we are slightly off thread if we are helping exchange ideas on music which we are doing and you aren't. There you go. Bo hoo to you.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
119
12
18,595
QuestForThe13thNote said:
radiorog said:
My albums of the year so far are the ones by: Ride Mogwai Pumerosa Goldie Sufjan Stevens and co Unkle and although only heard it once so far, paramore's new album was a refreshing change to a well made pop album. Not a band I've ever listened to before, but this was a good album.
i bought the new mogwai album today which I like, still making my mind up on if it's a+ or not, but whatever worthwhile having.  
Yeah, I'm tempted to get it. Will prob wait till it's price dropped. Just bought mr.beast last week under recommendation from whf, not listened to it yet. Think it was £5.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
Just to take this thread further off topic than it aready is. ;)

I've found a 2 hour long 1994 set mixed by Leftfield which may be of interest to you guys.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJ_Mix/leftfield-essential-mix-1994-08-06/
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts