What are the best speakers for Electronic Music (Trance, IDM, Ambient, Progressive, Dubstep, Post-Rock) under $15K?

Jlesnick

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been having a heck of time finding speakers that truly reproduce most electronic music well. I may be totally off base with my theory, but I feel like a lot of the HiFi speakers I'm listening to are far more adept at playing the natural sounds that come from a real instrument, rather than being able to reproduce the different sonic qualities that come along with syntheized/digital sound. I know often times the natural response to what I'm looking for is "go for pro gear/studio monitors." While this isn't necessarily a bad idea, it's not what I'm after. I prefer the HiFi experience--the soundstage & depth, something many studio montiors obfuscate.

My current setup is Mac Mini--->Simaudio 340i w/dac---->Dynaudio Focus 160 & 2 JL F113's.

I would love to keep the Mini & the 2 F113's, the rest I want to part with. I'm very open to all my options at this point. If there is a speaker that it is just asbolutely fantastic for the type of music I listen to, but real excels best with bi or tri-amping, I'm defintely open to that.

Some of the speakers/lines i've heard recently were the Dynaudio 160, 380, C1, & C2; I don't remember specific models, but most of the Focal lineup up to $30k, a few sonus fabers & the GoldenEar triton 2. None but the the Triton two really wowed me, and made the music pop.

The Triton 2 wasn't without it's issues though. The upper mids & highs were leaps & bounds better than some of the $10-$15K I've listened to recently. Where it seemed to suffer though was the mid-bass. The resolution, clarity & definition just wasn't very present at all in that mid-bass region. Mid-bass basslines had no shape, they were just a sound--a passive presence if you will. When the bassline should have a clear & distinct 3-dimensional shape to it, the Triton 2 seemed to muddy it up beyond recognition.

If it helps, I'm a big Trance, Ambient, Drone, Post-Rock, IDM, Progressive, Breaks, Dubstep listener. Very into Jon Hopkins, Sasha, Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Hecq, Ben Lukas Boysen, LeGaScred, Jody Wisternoff, Hybrid, Digweed, Trifonic, Miles Davis, Radiohead, & Deadmau5. I've got the sub-bass taken care of like I previously mentioned before, but with this type of music I think I need something that is going to have a treble that absolutely "pops," & an incredibly visceral & resolute mid-range that is able to reproduce the adlib just as clearly as it does the main melody.

$15K would be new (or used) speakers, and a pre-amp & amp. That $15K number is not set in stone, if you have a setup in mind that it's a bit above that, I'm still very interested. My setup is in my living room which 18'x21'x10.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'd suggest more expensive monitors. I don't understand where the idea that the soundstage or 'depth' is somehow worse for this type of speaker.

If soundstage and any other characteristic of a studio monitor were lacking, the final mix would display it. Don't forget that whatever hifi system you listen on, the final mix of the recording you are listening to would have been done using monitors in a studio, so the soundstage doesn't happen by chance.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I haven't demoed much at that price level and have completely different musical tastes.

I used to listen to electronic music a lot.

Worth a demo: Cyrus pre amp with X300 mono power amps and Spendor A9, D7 or ST speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For electronic music I've only come across 2 types of speakers that can do justice to the pumping bass that is such an important part of this type of music: huge sealed box speakers and huge corner horns.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ATCs might be just the job. I don't really like them myself, but I've heard people say they do electronic music well. If you park them close to a wall, they'll pump out enough bass.

Cheers,

Matt

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps consider the PMC iB2-S stand mounted studios.

I think one of the issues you might have is getting the subs to integrate properly. I have a JL F110 & F112 subs & have been playing around with this for a few months now using a Bryston active crossover.

I'm no professional & placement is somewhat restricted in my place, so am definitley open to the idea that part of the problem was me. With some tracks it was sensational, seamless (at least to my ears) integration, with other stuff not so good. It seemed very dependant on indiviual recordings.

In the end I gave it up & went back to floorstanders. Will keep the crossover for a while just to experiment, but as it stands I expect to sell it on soon to offset the change over cost.

I reckon Lindsay was pretty much on the money with his suggestio how much space have you got?!!!

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:

I think one of the issues you might have is getting the subs to integrate properly. I have a JL F110 & F112 subs & have been playing around with this for a few months now using a Bryston active crossover.

I'm no professional & placement is somewhat restricted in my place, so am definitley open to the idea that part of the problem was me. With some tracks it was sensational, seamless (at least to my ears) integration, with other stuff not so good. It seemed very dependant on indiviual recordings.

In the end I gave it up & went back to floorstanders. Will keep the crossover for a while just to experiment, but as it stands I expect to sell it on soon to offset the change over cost.

I reckon Lindsay was pretty much on the money with his suggestio how much space have you got?!!!

This may be the answer to your problem.

Perhaps move the JL's over to the home theater and concentrate on a pair of speakers that suit your needs.

I've been researching studio monitors and the one common factor is that 2.1 systems are difficult to integrate (never mind 2.2). Room correction and treatment is usually needed and that sounds like a science in itself.

If you went for PMC, Bryston are a good match

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I would say that speakers which reproduce natural sounds well, also reproduce synthesized sounds well (=natural)! Why would that be any different ?

If you want dynamics, speed, lots of bass and soundstage, go for "Peitho's" (Google for yourself). They will be build for you, only on order. They come in different sizes, but already the smallest one will have enough bass. Price is far below 15k, so enough left to buy something else! Good luck!

I ordered mine 3 weeks ago! They do not discriminate on any type of music! I will post a review as soon as i can.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
ATCs might be just the job. I don't really like them myself, but I've heard people say they do electronic music well. If you park them close to a wall, they'll pump out enough bass.

Cheers,

Matt

Plus 1 for ATC.

I used to own ATC SCM40's and when playing electronic music I felt like I could reach out and touch it!

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
skippy said:
Neuphonix said:

This may be the answer to your problem.

Perhaps move the JL's over to the home theater and concentrate on a pair of speakers that suit your needs.

I've been researching studio monitors and the one common factor is that 2.1 systems are difficult to integrate (never mind 2.2). Room correction and treatment is usually needed and that sounds like a science in itself.

If you went for PMC, Bryston are a good match

If you want to get prominent, articulate, but taut bass, that is well integrated, adding a DEQX-module might be the way to go. With a HDP-Express II ($3450) you get driver and room correction, and an electronic crossover to integrate your subs with the main speakers. Stereophile's John Atkinson was apparently impressed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi-fi speakers anything near this price level should be pretty good at all the conventional hi-fi attributes, soundstage, resolution, refinement. They may also be optimised towards the percieved market for these sort of speakers, which is quite possibly not the style of music that you want to be playing.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, there is an enoumous amount of bass energy in this music, subwoofer(s) are probably going to be required though just as important is the ability of the main speakers to deliver real punch and precision in the two or three octaves above the sub cutoff, which will likely be in the 60 - 80 hz region.

My inclination would be to use mid field monitors in active form, The Genelec 8260a mentioned above are a very good call, particularly if you could get the dsp properly setup by some one who knows what he is doing. Mid priced Quested models, V3110 for example, are exemplary but I am only going on reputation here, I no longer have much access to real studios so am out of touch with modern trends.

If you are going to stick with more traditional hi-fi type speakers, then the best advice I can think of is to get amplifiers with plenty of power, and I mean plenty. Do not be afraid of anything a bit industrial looking particularly if performance matters more than the 'bling'.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would try and demo something like the Magneplanar speakers (Magnepan MG12 or larger) or stuff like the ATC SCM50ASL.

Other than that, its mainly horns that have done it for me on the kind of music you enjoy.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A pair of PMC IB2S-A ACTIVE DSP speakers will reproduce any type of music equally well . With 960 watts of built in power per speaker and bass down to 20hz you will definitely feel the music :) If you listen to these then I suspect anything you hear afterwards may sound a little lacking :grin:

http://shop.studioxchange.co.uk/PMC_IB2S_A_Pair_p/pmc-ib2sa.htm#%22
You could add the XBDA active sub if you feel the need for more power in the bass :O
http://www.stereoclub.ro/pmc_ib2axbd.html

and in English .

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.stereoclub.ro/pmc_ib2axbd.html&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhikYb--zWiG8n43urm9bWH09XLhag

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a IDM listener too. So I have always some boards of canada, plaid and others in my wallet, when I go listening some hardware.

The two or three times I heard them in the best quality, It was on very neutral studio monitors for midfield applications. Like the ATC SCM50 or the PSI A 215-M. A pmc fact8 on a accuphase e-260 could be a good pair for this kind of application too. You must not forget than, the most of the time, good electronic music is realised on studio monitors.

And I don't believe you will be forced to go until 15k.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd echo a few recommendations here (ATC, PMC), but I'd also add the KEF Reference 205/2. As long as your amp is up to it (I like them with a Bryston 4Bsst2), they sound amazing with electronic music :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
As already mentioned a pair of the large PMC speakers will do the job. When we had the MB2se's we gave them a proper work with lots of heavy dubstep and techno to fantastic results.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As per lots of others, I'd suggest ATC actives, I can confirm they do electronic music very well. As you have the JL subs you should be happy with the clean, neutral bass presentation they provide. If you have the space, 100s would be ideal for slightly lower bass and within budget. MattSPL successfully integrated ATC actives and a JL sub.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Adam Tensor Gamma mkII should fit the bill. also they use the same type of drives for mid and high freq as Trittons - Heil AVT, so chances are you'd like their presentation as much as of the Trittons. but I'll bet Adams would keep things clean in the bass region as well. and I think you won't need the subs with those speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm with David - you might like to consider Kef Reference 205/2 or 207/2 (ex-dem) combined with amplification from Classe, Plinius, Electrocompaniet or Bryston. How far you go, will depend on budget.

The more competent and powerful the amp, the better they sound.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I second (third, fourth?) the the IB2s recommendation. I own the non-active version which i power with 1100 watts (at 4 ohms). They are truly full range with deep clean powerful bass. Spectacular sound. If you go with the actives, you could easily just sell your subs as you won't need them. You'll get better integrated bass just from the ib2s and they can go very very loud without compression or distortion.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Jlesnick said:
I've been having a heck of time finding speakers that truly reproduce most electronic music well. If it helps, I'm a big Trance, Ambient, Drone, Post-Rock, IDM, Progressive, Breaks, Dubstep listener. Very into Jon Hopkins, Sasha, Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Hecq, Ben Lukas Boysen, LeGaScred, Jody Wisternoff, Hybrid, Digweed, Trifonic, Miles Davis, Radiohead, & Dead

I listen to a lot of these and would recommend giving Active speakers a try-out. I have the ADM 40's by AVi and have been very happy with them. And all for substantially less than $15,000!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mid priced Quested models, V3110 for example, are exemplary...

+1

Quested 3110 are outstanding speakers which are capable of huge volume and bass together with fabulous levels of clarity. They also have matching 15" stereo subwoofers available too.

http://www.quested.com/studio-monitoring-production/products-x15.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/quested-v3110.htm

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Did you try linn?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Akurate-242-Floor-Standing-Loudspeakers-in-Walnut-gloss-/330947214424?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4d0dfdbc58

(Linn 242) with the official active crossovers/amps I've heard will do synths very well. Cannot attest to this, only heard a lower line with acoustic music...maybe get a demo. Good luck.

One thing which is important here is how loud do you listen? Where do you cross over your speakers to the subs and do you always listen in the same place? It seems like a completely flat response (including bass) might be important in creating the effect you desire in your listening position.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts