AKG 450 versus Audio Technica ATH-ES55

Its time to get a new set of 'phones for my ipod. Both of those mentioned are five star rated.
The AKG's were rated 5 star when they were approx. £100 but now available for £50.
Has anybody auditioned both of these? If so is the Audio Technica worth twice what the AKG's cost?
I notice both are available from Richer Sounds - do they let you listen to headphones in their stores, as I've never visited one.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
They cetainly wont let you demo the AKG's as the packaging is so good that they will not be able to re-sell them (or thats what they told me at Maidstone store). The AKG's are also out of stock until mid February - I have a deposit on a pair which is frustrating. Super Fi are also doing the same deal but are also out of stock.

I am not familiar with the Audio T's but from what I have swotted up on everybody seems to point out that the AKG's are a complete give away at 50 squid and an excellent pair of head phones.

I hope this is of some help, even if it doesnt quite answer your question.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I have just this weekend purchased a pair of the Audio Technica's, chuffed to nuts after some time auditioning. Tried all sorts and very pleased rocking to led zeppelin.

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm torn between the two and although i know it's all about 'your own ear', surely if the AT were better than the AKG then they would have won the award again?

It is a shame how hard it is to sample headphones tbh.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I also was looking at a £50 budget headphones. However as upgrades go i had a peek at £100 mark. After a week of tinterneting i have gone for Audio Technica ATH AD700 @£109(just received them today). They have rave reviews from many sites . I know its double the budget but they are highly recommended unless your a basshead. Goodluck

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And a word of warning , Yes i look like somthing out of Doctor who with my AT-AD700s on. But who cares when retro is back inn , and of course im good luckin

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Have read some good reviews for the AD700 but like how small and portable the ES55 and K450 are. Still haven't made my mind up but edging towards the K450 simply because they're around £30 cheaper.

A

Anonymous

Could anyone share their thoughts on which pair would be better for the tube? They need to keep train noise out and my music 'in'. Thanks!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I bought both. I bought, foolishily, on the back of the awards review in this magazine and waited forever for the AKG's to come back into stock and when they did I was seriously underwhelmed. I really dont get why they won the award? I know its a personal thing but to me the AKG's just dont cut it. And this was when I bought them for £49.95 from Richer Sounds in Maidstone.

A few pointers:

I am a 6ft 3" big guy.

1.They looked seriously silly on me - too small.

2.They leaked sound - but Im guessing this is because I have big ears and they simply didnt fit. Others have said they dont but at loud volumes they did for me.

3.Sound is good but not imo award winning.

4.The package you get however is excellent - case is good, very portable - fold into themselves rather clevily and you get a choice of leads plus an adapter for an av / amp headphone input. All areas are covered.

5.I listen to alot of hip hop and dance (as well as everything else) and they just are not bassy enough for my tastes.

Anyway, took em back after listening to Audio-Technica's ATH-WS55i in HMV - again, imo, you get so much more sound for your pound with these. The solid bass system really makes the difference. Plus, you get a remote and mic that works with my Iphone perfectly (you can skip tracks etc and it all works).

Must say RS were brilliant - they took my AKG's back and let me have a full refund to pay for the £89 ish (think thats what I paid) A-Technicas.

They dont leak any sound - I can easily have the volume at half even in bed without disturbing the wife if she is asleep next to me (not something I regularly do but have tested it never a less).

The only downsides I have found is that they are a bit bulkier and the lead is not as long as the AKG's. Also, as stated the whole package is not as comprehensive (no case / no adapter etc).

Anyways - to me its all about the sound - and imo they are just better.

As ever though - try (if you can) before you buy.

Hope this helps.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I had a listen to both at a local richer sounds a while back before the akg got the award and to my ears the audio Technica suited my taste. Good detail and seperation that sounded quite open to me. The Akg were a bit heavy on the bass and felt a bit more closed in. It was quite a short demo though...

A

Anonymous

Hi tried all richer sounds on ear headphone which whf have given 5 stars, Including akg 450, ATH-WS55i, ATH-ES55, ATH-ES7.

Found the ATH-WS55i way to bass driven. All the other audio technica weren't as comfortable as the akg k450 and were much heavier. I Spent plenty of time trying each pair on with my brother and the gf we all came to the same conclusion. I bought the akg-k450 not because they were the cheapest but because they gave the best package overall. Althought I think there a Bargain for £50, but this doesn't mean I would be disappointed with either the ATH-ES55 or theATH-ES7.

Now I've had them for a while they sound even better, but not massively spacious sound for open cans, also being open cans they do let in background noise (I can hear the air con in the office) but they do not leak sound out like some open headphones. The sound is very neutral when connected to an iPad and they sound very clear with the perfect amount of base for me. I prefer using them at home and can wear them for several hours at a time with no problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts