Disappointed with Audio Technica ATH-M50x.

RequiemForADream

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, I hope you are enjoying yourselves this fine day!

So,for as long as I remember myself I have been a HUGE fan of music and audio quality.I spend most of my free time listening to music everyday and thus I am always searching for this perfect pair of headphones.

I bought the Razer Hammerhead in-ear headphones in February but I was still looking for something superior.After an extensive research in mid July I bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I rushed back to my house eager to listen to their supposed superb audio quality.I was not satisfied.

So I began searching to see what's the issue.I researched audio qualities and decided to get a Spotify subscription for their Ogg Vorbis 320kbps audio quality.I then researched to see if I need a better audio card but I believe that my ALC898 Realtek High Definition Codec is good enough for the M50s.I tweaked the PC's settings to optimum ones and listened again.

I tried both the Hammerhead and the M50s with the same songs and I did hear a difference.110Euros difference?Definitely not.(in Greece the Hammerheads cost 59 whereas the M50s 169).Maybe I could pay 16 Euros to get the price to 75 but definitely not more than twice that much.

Am I missing something here?Everyone seems to be more than satisfied with these headphones...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...But that doesn't mean you have to be. Did you listen to them in the shop before you dropped €169 on them? Presumably you didn't. There's a very simple lesson to be learned here: don't buy any audio equipment you haven't heard unless there is an agreement you can return it if you're not satisfied. Generally you can return such items providing you do so with all the original packaging within a reasonable time, even if you buy online. But not after four months.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
RequiemForADream said:
Hello all, I hope you are enjoying yourselves this fine day!

So,for as long as I remember myself I have been a HUGE fan of music and audio quality.I spend most of my free time listening to music everyday and thus I am always searching for this perfect pair of headphones.

I bought the Razer Hammerhead in-ear headphones in February but I was still looking for something superior.After an extensive research in mid July I bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I rushed back to my house eager to listen to their supposed superb audio quality.I was not satisfied.

So I began searching to see what's the issue.I researched audio qualities and decided to get a Spotify subscription for their Ogg Vorbis 320kbps audio quality.I then researched to see if I need a better audio card but I believe that my ALC898 Realtek High Definition Codec is good enough for the M50s.I tweaked the PC's settings to optimum ones and listened again.

I tried both the Hammerhead and the M50s with the same songs and I did hear a difference.110Euros difference?Definitely not.(in Greece the Hammerheads cost 59 whereas the M50s 169).Maybe I could pay 16 Euros to get the price to 75 but definitely not more than twice that much.

Am I missing something here?Everyone seems to be more than satisfied with these headphones...

I made many such mistakes before I got wise to the community like here, where these things are discussed a lot, and you can search for opinions so you don't have to waste days of effort thumbing through a million posts trying to find a balanced opinion on headphones like the M50x. You see, the M50x is extremely popular and it has been discussed at length, so next time come here first...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think they're decent enough. Nothing special and worth more like 100 euro or less. Always try before you buy, although I understand this can be difficult in some markets.

TRENDING THREADS