Aiwa systems good or bad

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Compared to? Aiwa was mass-produced, lo-fidelity made to a price to sell high volume. It was neither good nor bad. It wasn't high fidelity.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
robbie1982 said:
Were aiwa systems that bad

they were aimed at a particular market, all in one system with big thumpy bass, for not a lot of money , lots of people wanted that, more so the young uns for the bedrooms,

nothing wrong with that, if thats what you want, not my cup of tea,

robbie1982

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Compared to some of the all in one systems of today my father still has his aiwa seperates system had it for 25 years and the sound i would say is better than some of the technics stuff of more recent times

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Although I never had one, the cassettes always seemed well liked.

The couple of times I heard one of their all in one things it sounded alright not great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
robbie1982 said:
Compared to some of the all in one systems of today my father still has his aiwa seperates system had it for 25 years and the sound i would say is better than some of the technics stuff of more recent times

What's the point of these questions? It's a personal opinion, if you like it, great, if others don't, great.

For the record my sister had an Aiwa system in the 80s. It was trash, absolute garbage. YMMV.

D

Deleted member 2457

My Dad had an Aiwa system in the 80s too (he kept the review from WHF mag too) and sold it on eBay a couple of years back for £115! Was worth in total about £1200 from new.

The_Lhc said:
Aiwa system in the 80s. It was trash, absolute garbage.

Hi The _Lhc

Aiwa system are just fine
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

i bought one in the late 90's. it was a 5 speaker surround system. cost me 500 quid. it was trully awful. i had bought it to replace the sony sytem that my toddler daughter had wrecked.i had it back in the box within a few hours, and back at the shop. i traded it for a technics midi system which was impressive in comparison.and 100 quid cheaper. back then i had a massive cassette collection, which the technics did a great job with.back in the late 80's and early nineties i had only ever heard a 3 hifi setups, technics, pioneer and akai. and to be honest i don't think any of them sounded any good. my sony cost me 550 quid in the late 80's which was a lot of money, and not that good.i think the limitations was with the speakers that came with those type of systems. they weren't that good at all.

i listened to systems like that for years till a friend showed me his seperates system and kef floorstanders.. i was literally blown away. i can't thank him enough for introducing me to decent sounding music. its been a passion ever since.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I recall they made some pretty good cassette decks in the 1970s and 1980s.

They certainly did.....I owned the AD-F 360, which held its own with decks at double it's price of £109.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I owned one & i must admit it was horrible. I cnt imagine listening to that now.. But at the time I thought it was the bomb. Still got it in my family home aboard.. :rofl:

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had an Aiwa midi system in the very early nineties which had twin cassette decks a cd player and was finished in what i thought at the time was a very classy 'champagne' gold colour uuurgh. i had many many great stoned afternoons and evenings listening to it. It certainly pumped out some bass (if nothing else) which suited my tastes of that era perfectly and it lasted a good 10 years until inevitably the cd packed up. It was of its time,

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I always got Aiwa and Akai mixed up, whatever happened to Akia, they seemed to do more on seperates such as amps, tuners, tape decks while Awia was midi towers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Compared to? Aiwa was mass-produced, lo-fidelity made to a price to sell high volume. It was neither good nor bad. It wasn't high fidelity.

Presumably you're not very old and only remember the Aiwa of the last 10-15 years. Before that, they were quite a different brand with a range of highly-regarded budget/mid-range separates, particularly their cassette decks.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Tear Drop said:

Presumably you're not very old and only remember the Aiwa of the last 10-15 years. Before that, they were quite a different brand with a range of highly-regarded very competent separates, particularly their cassette decks.

Agree with you Major. Back in the late-ish 70's, I had an Aiwa AD6500 cassette deck. If I remember right, I paid around £200 for it, a lot of money back then. To my ears, a nice tool :)

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I had one also, before I bought a Kenwood separates system. It sounded great in my small flat at the time, but I realised that it was awfull and it was given to my blind grandfather. He used it well for CDs and the stored radio stations, and for listening to his audio books. He said it was great for speech and vocalists. Who am I To argue as his hearing was far better tuned than mine.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
The_Lhc said:
Aiwa system in the 80s. It was trash, absolute garbage.

Hi The _Lhc

Aiwa system are just fine
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes I seem to recall you saying they're as good as Chord electronics, I still don't know what you're on about, however based on the chords I've heard that isn't saying much.

This system was crap, you'll just have to live with that, like I did for the best part of ten years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts