Spotify's latest price hike has been confirmed – and it's bad news for subscribers

Gray

Yet this was the price of a CD, what... 15+ years ago? And that's assuming inflation was non-existent. 10.99 for more music than you could ever listen to? Sounds like a bargain.
Yes, CDs were sold at ripoff prices in the early years - they didn't need to charge so much - but they could, so of course, they did.

As for the comparison:
For the CD, you don't pay £10.99 per month, every single month (until they fancy doing another increase).

True enough, Spotify gives plenty of choice - so do Tesco. What percentage of that choice do you use?

Reactions: DougK1

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Yet this was the price of a CD, what... 15+ years ago? And that's assuming inflation was non-existent. 10.99 for more music than you could ever listen to? Sounds like a bargain.
That is very true but the point is that Spotify is now charging more for what could be argued as being an inferior product compared to its rivals, from a SQ perspective at least. What confuses me is the number of colleagues who could never consider moving away from Spotify. I know the music curation is to be lauded but there also appears to be elements of both (maybe misplaced) loyalty to the brand and reluctance to try something different.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Many will pay as they have vast libraries and playlist but one has to think when tidal is now charging 10.99 for all the bells and hi res whistles. What constitutes good value? playlists be damed I wouldn't be paying more for less.

krbo

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
how this could be, that Spotify is in red numbers every year, if 13,2 bln of revenue minus 9 bln for record labels is still 4.2 bln? how is technically possible to spend such a money 🤑?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts