Aiwa systems good or bad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

They produced traditional separates for many years and a still well regarded micro HiFi system in the shape of the C22/P22 pre- and power amps and a matching tuner and tape deck. Their cassette decks from the 80s to the late 90s were among the best and they may have had the first Dolby S deck but not sure.

They were not alone in producing midi systems of average quality in the 80s but that doesn't impact on their overall respectable credibility.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
1250AD highly regarded cassette deck. £800 tower with nice veneer speakers. Both worthy IMO. Mass produced sure but decent sound. Not sure why anyone cares but I'd not knock em'.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Presumably you're not very old and only remember the Aiwa of the last 10-15 years. Before that ....

Is it possible there was such a time?

Does feel a different lifetime sometimes. I grew up in the era of LPs, 8-track cartridges, reel to reel recorders, super-8 cine and three channels on our 21" CRT TV set. The home HiFi was a Dynatron HFC101 music centre which had a GL75 turntable and huge Dynatron-branded Wharfedale Unit 5 kit speakers that moved walls. So like many of us here I've seen a lot of change. Sometimes it's easy to forget that because technology moves so fast the younger generation has no real memory beyond 1990s plastic Saisho microsystems, they see CDs as vintage technology (like I dd with 78s), and couldn't thread a cine projector or an open-reel tape deck. None of this is a criticism, just an observation that the time moves on. Give it another 30 years and someone now in their teens or twenties will say "God I'm so old I remember iPod docks"

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Threads like these insult or intelligence and/or test our tolerance. Whats the point of it?

To make it fun lets all say what we really think of Aiwa in a very descriprive way.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Threads like these insult or intelligence and/or test our tolerance. Whats the point of it?

To make it fun lets all say what we really think of Aiwa in a very descriprive way.

Actually, it's posts like that that insult intellignece and test tolerance....

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
For me reading about exotic kit on forums has replaced looking at Aiwa gear with lots of speakers and flashing lights in the back of an Argos catalogue somewhere between table tennis tables / fishing rods / punch bags and toys. I’m sure they made some acceptable kit but all the ones I heard were pretty poor.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
For me reading about exotic kit on forums has replaced looking at Aiwa gear with lots of speakers and flashing lights in the back of an Argos catalogue somewhere between table tennis tables / fishing rods / punch bags and toys. I’m sure they made some acceptable kit but all the ones I heard were pretty poor.

If that's your only recollection of Aiwa kit then you can be forgiven for thinking it's a lo-fi also-ran brand. But it was not always that way.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I had some Aiwa speakers in my bedroom when I was about 12 - I thought they were good at the time, but clearly not as good as the more expensive speakers I've had since I got a bit older.

Didn't have them long though as my brother nicked them and "installed" them into my sister's car i.e. bolted them on to the parcel shelf, and instead gave me some fairground speakers his dodgy friend had "acquired" from somewhere. The joys of being the youngest child...

The_Lhc said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi The_Lhc

I don't recall mentioning any other manufacturer.

You should pay more attention then, I remember it very well...

Hi The_Lhc

On the contrary i feel that it is you who should be paying more attention then as i didn't mention any other manufacturer. By all means :type: and :type:

Anyway Aiwa systems are just fine
smiley-smile.gif
Sweet dreams :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
The_Lhc said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi The_Lhc

I don't recall mentioning any other manufacturer.

You should pay more attention then, I remember it very well...

Hi The_Lhc

On the contrary i feel that it is you who should be paying more attention then as i didn't mention any other manufacturer.

Right, I've no idea what you're wittering on about but I'm talking about a discussion of the 2012 Bristol show wherein I commented that a Chord system at the show sounded like a crappy old Aiwa hi-fi and you responded that there was nothing wrong with Aiwa at which point I decided (privately) that you were either being sarcastic, were insane or had dreadful hearing.

I've subsequently discounted at least one of those possibilities...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The joys of being the youngest child...

They don't always nick stuff off you.

I was given my first system by my older brother when I was about 15. (This was in the late 1970s.)

Prinzsound SA-2001 amplifer (wood jacket, slider controls), a top-loading Prinzsound STD600 cassette deck, Amstrad Acousta 2500 speakers, Sony ST-70 tuner and a Connoisseur BD2 turntable with Shure M55 cartridge.

(He had just upgraded to an all Rotel separates 'rack' system with Wharfedale Glendales.)

I used it for the next 3 years in my bedsit and throughout 6th form college until I got my first full-time job and flat and 'proper' hi-fi and girl friend. (Still with her.)

I returned the favour to my brother years later when I gave him a Dual CS505-2 Deluxe and a NAD 3020 and some Mordaunt Short Carnival 2s. (And much later on I gave him my Yamaha KX-580 SE cassette deck.)

robbie1982

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
It was for vladimir not u i try replying to peoples comments and i keep getting spam message

NOTE from MODS - this issue should be fixed for you now

TRENDING THREADS