Advice on the Sonos Connect

sebholm91

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm thinking of setting up some wireless music streaming for my new apartment and I figured the Sonos Connect would be perfect, provided I've understood its functions correctly.

The thing is that I already have a stereo setup using the Marantz PM6004 amp with two awesome speakers, and I don't quite get if the Sonos Connect is going to be replacing the Marantz or if it simply acts as the network connection for my PC and Android/iPod Touch to communicate with the system? At the moment I play most of my music through my PS3's OS because the stereo setup is connected to the TV, but I'm guessing that a Sonos would enable me to still use the TV setup while also allowing me to switch to AUX input (or some other option) and then play sound through the same setup but from Spotify or my iTunes library?

I'm not particularly experienced on HiFi setups, so that's basically why I ask :p Hope it makes sense; if not I'm happy to elaborate!

scene

As far as the Marantz is concerned, the Connect just works as any other source. Plug it into a free line-in and you can stream the music from your PC to it. It's a Sonos Connect:Amp that would replace your PM6004 - acting as both source + amp.

Yes, you should be able to keep your current PS/3 setup, assuming you've got a spare unused input, such as AUX, on the Marantz.

Only thing to be aware of is that you will either need to be able to plug the connect into your internet router/switch, or get a Sonos:Bridge to plug in to the router, and then the Connect will connect with that.

John Duncan

+1 @scene.

I recently got a Play:3 and found the setup and scanning of my library an absolute dream, and the functionality is absolutely spot on. I also found a last.fm subscription (£3 a month after the four hours or so free you get with a Sonos) very useful on top of the Spotify Premium sub I had already.

One word of warning though - I found that it struggles with higher than 320k content (eg Apple Lossless) if your PC (or wherever your iTunes Libary is) is connected to the network wirelessly, as mine is. In fact, the sonos forums make it clear that this arrangement (irrespective of the resolution of your library) is not supported.

If that's the case, you would be well advised to convert your lossless to something like 320k AAC for complete reliability. If your PC/server is wired into the network, you shouldn't have a problem.

scene

John Duncan said:
One word of warning though - I found that it struggles with higher than 320k content (eg Apple Lossless) if your PC (or wherever your iTunes Libary is) is connected to the network wirelessly, as mine is. In fact, the sonos forums make it clear that this arrangement (irrespective of the resolution of your library) is not supported.

If that's the case, you would be well advised to convert your lossless to something like 320k AAC for complete reliability. If your PC/server is wired into the network, you shouldn't have a problem.

+1 on the wireless issue with Lossless.

If you don't want your PC / Server wired to the network - you could also consider a NAS connected to the network, which has the added advantages of giving you somwhere to back files from your PC to, and you can have your music without having to have your PC switched on.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
+1 @scene.

I recently got a Play:3 and found the setup and scanning of my library an absolute dream, and the functionality is absolutely spot on. I also found a last.fm subscription (£3 a month after the four hours or so free you get with a Sonos) very useful on top of the Spotify Premium sub I had already.

Well it's Sonos that don't support it, the forums just repeat the advice, that's not to say it won't work however, there are a number of people on the forum doing that quite happily, even with lossless files, probably depends on how busy your wireless environment is.

scene

you're right, it is very dependent on your WiFi environment: both how busy and how good a signal you get. I've had lossless files playing OK via WiFi one day and stuttering the next. My biggest problem is all the edited BT home hubs that flood the ether as BT create their national WiFi network. :rant:

sebholm91

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I did think that the Bridge would be required as well, so it seems I understood the Connect correctly :)

Thanks for the quick answer, I look forward to setting up this system ^_^

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
I have also been looking at a similar problem and have been looking at teh Sonos Connect.

However, I cany help feeling that it is ludicrously expensive for what it does.

Is there a cheaper to streal from a NAS into an existing amplifier/speaker setup. I dont need multi-room or anything special.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
tigetspill said:
I have also been looking at a similar problem and have been looking at teh Sonos Connect.

Is there a cheaper to streal from a NAS into an existing amplifier/speaker setup. I dont need multi-room or anything special.
Yes it might seem expensive but it works, its reliable, easy, elegent, hassle free and good quality.

If you dont need Spotify intergration or easy radio access you might find Apple Airplay or look at somthing from Audioengine cheaper.

The other great thing with Sonos is its mature and is constantly upgraded FOC plus its re sale value is very good. Which should speak volumes.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
tigetspill said:

If you already have a NAS the Sonos will be the best (vfm) way to play your music.

The interface is brilliant, the thing just works.

I have a network receiver and blu ray disc player and to use them to connect to the NAS is poor in comparison.

You may feel that the Sonos is expensive, but I'd bet my money you'll have no regrets once you set it up

tigetspill said:

I questioned the same few years ago:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/wi-fi/why-is-sonos-so-expensive

But I have no regrets investing in a Sonos system.

There are options if you're not interested in multiroom. What's your budget?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bigboss said:
tigetspill said:

I questioned the same few years ago: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/wi-fi/why-is-sonos-so-expensive But I have no regrets investing in a Sonos system.

Yep, what he said ;)

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

I have heard that there can be problems playing FLAC lossless files on Sonos over the wireless interface.

Is this the case? or is it reliable?

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

I have heard that there can be problems playing FLAC lossless files on Sonos over the wireless interface.

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think your'e referring to the PC etc that they are stored on being completly wireless? Evidently Sonos don't recommend it. I've certainly had no problems with it. Having said that my main source is Spotify.

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
You won't have any problems, I use nothing but flac, never misses a beat.

Thank you.

Just need now to decide whether to go for the connect and hook it up to my hifi system which no doubt sound better, or the Play 5 which is really neat.

Function or Form dilema.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
You'll end up with both- it becomes addictive :dance:

I wanted 'HiFi' from my main system, so Connect was needed, but a play5 is convenient and appealing and portable.

Before I knew it, I had a play5 and 3 connects :help:

It's pretty foolproof- if you get a rare system freeze, it's quickly sorted by a quick unplug. Music stream with no drop outs- all my 600 CDs ripped to alac and stored on nas wired to zone bridge.

I listen to more music now than in the last 10yrs as it's always available

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts