Advice on New Set Up Please

smudger1767

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

I have been in the market for getting a home theater system now for ages but was really confussed on which route to go down.

Build a PC Home Theater Myself

All in one soundbars or my prefered route seperate av and speakers.

I have 3 receivers in mind at the minute.

Denon AVR2313 Home Theatre

Denon AVR1713 3D Home Theatre Cinema AV Receiver

Yamaha HTR-3066 5.1 3D HD HDMI 1.4 Home AV Receiver

Denon AVR-X1000 5.1

My budget is £500 for the receiver and £500 for a set of speakers.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Smudger,

I think that you should give is more info. You have stated a number of receivers old to new and cheap to expensive. Do you want a receiver with the latest gadgets, which tv do you have, which blurayplayer do you have, what's the size of your room, do you have space for large floorstanders. Also quite important: does your system need to be good at kust surround or also at stereo.

Kind regards,

Peter

smudger1767

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I live in a 1 bedroomed flat ant the TV is mounted to the wall, Toshiba 40" Full HD LED LCD Edge Lit TV 40BL702B with Freeview & USB Play.

15ft x 20ft livingroom.

No blueraw player yet so some advice would be great for that also.

The standard speakers are crap, I listen to a lot of music so really only need stero speakers for music play back but I would like to have 5.1 system for movies and the tv.

As I said budget for the receiver is £500 ANF £500 for the speakers and the blueray player.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
You listen to stereo music a lot and surround comes second. That means that a all-in-one solution is out. They are good for surround sound but not for stereo due to the size of the front speakers. I think you should look for a receiver that does stereo very well. It's not on your list but have you considered a Marantz NR-series. They do stereo better than for example similarly priced Denons. This particular series does not have very much power, but you don't have a very large room and do not need much power. Speakers then. As you listen stereo a lot you should look for at least a pair of normal sized standmounts like the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or Mordaunt Short Aviano. You might need stands for them, which would make them as expensive or even more expensive than floorstanders. If so you could get for example Wharfedale Diamond 10.3's, which are essentally 10.1's. As a center speaker you could go for the same series as your stereo speakers. The back speakers are the least important for now. Wharfedale 10.0's should do the job. I haven't mentioned a subwoofer. If you get normal sized standmounts you might not need one. If you feel that you are missing out on a sub you can always get one later. I am not familiar with the prices in your country (I don't think that you are dutch), so I might be a bit off on prices.

You haven't stated if you are willing to go second hand. In that case you have far more choice and in the end you can have a better system. But there are more risks of course and matching components is harder. As for a blurayplayer. Just by the cheapest well known brand. A LG might be a good option for you because you might be able to use your tv-remote for most functions.

Finally I must mention that the above is just one of many possibilities. Marantz and Wharfedale match very well in my opinion. So does Marantz and Mordaunt although I cant' say that from experience. You may also consider Focal or Dali.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts