Question I want to build a 5.1.2 home theatre with Dolby Atmos and DTS x

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

My love and respect towards fellow members. This is my first post here. Let me give some introduction as well. I am Niladri De from Kolkata, India and I am a software engineer by profession.

For some time, I had been using a 5.1 set up with Denon x540bt and 5 Sonodyne genie 1 speakers, no subwoofer.

Recently I bought a 49x8000h and I am willing to get a Dolby Atmos surround system, 5.1.2 channel. I will be selling my current avr but not the speakers due to budget issue. I will also but a subwoofer.

My room is 16 by 16 at max and about 12 feet in height. I require suggestion for a budget Dolby Atmos avr and subwoofer. Also, which speakers will give me a great value for money immersive experience.

For budget, I have about 80000 inr, that comes to about $1100 for sub, avr right now. I can change speakers or add in ceiling speakers later.

Also, I need to know if soundbars like JBL 9.1 or.lg sl10yg or Samsung q800t or Sony z9f with rear speakers will give me that experience. Nakamichi is not available here.

I also saw some home theatre packages like Onkyo ht s5915 home theatre package. Will this be good? I want to make the best possible choice within my budget. That's why I am seeking help and advise from.my fellow members.

Thanks,

Niladri.

Andrew Links

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
go with onkyo and make sure that you mount your atmos and dts:x speakers on or near ceiling for correct separation. Amazon is place for cheap and well made systems.

Denon's Audyssey room correction is superior to Onkyo's AccuEQ based on all the discussions on the forums over the years. You can Google it and check.

What about Velodyne and SVS subwoofers? Are they available?

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your replies

Regarding Onkyo I was very much inclined for Onkyo ht s5915 Dolby Atmos package but I read lots of reliability issues with Onkyo. Hence, I am afraid. The Onkyo Dolby Atmos package is priced at 80000 inr approx $1100.

SVS subs available but very pricy. Well I am getting quote of 51000 inr that's near $700 for x1600h.
For x2400h it's not available locally but online it's available for 1000 inr more, approx $14.

Is x1600h better? I do not have a big room or hall. Will x1600h be sufficient? And also please suggest the speakers that I should get replacing the Sonodyne genie 1 to get best value for money.

Thanks,

Niladri.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well am I missing something? I can find Denon x2400h cheaper than x1600h. Is x2600h superior in some aspects? Should I go with the newer released version?

Thanks,

Niladri.

X2400H is the older model while X2600H and X1600H are newer models. In terms of pure performance, X2400H will be superior to the X1600H (although whether there will be a discernible difference, one can only tell by a direct comparison via demo).

Difference between X2400H and X2600H here:

It's going to be difficult for me to suggest subwoofers as I haven't demoed the subwoofer brands you mention. But going by the reviews, BIC Acoustech and Polk Audio subwoofers seem popular. See if you can afford and accommodate a 12-inch subwoofer ideally. Otherwise look at 10-inch and 8-inch models (bigger the better).

Speakers, depends on your budget really. I would suggest you check the AVR and subwoofer with your existing speakers. A very good subwoofer can negate the need to upgrade your speakers.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Well I am getting JBL bar 9.1 at an attractive price. Will separate speakers with receiver be significantly better than soundbar with rear speakers. I am having a hard time to convince my wife who won't allow any cable clutters through the room.

Thanks,

Niladri.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Can you please suggest a brand that supports all wireless speakers and having Dolby Atmos dts x support? Any model number and I will check availability.

Thanks,

Niladri.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Posting an update. I got my 49x8000h today installed by Sony guys. Now I have ordered for Denon x1600h and Taga Harmony TSW 212 se. I will use my Sonodyne speakers for now.

But I am in big trouble as my wife will not allow to put speakers (specially wired ones) at the ceiling for Atmos. My ceiling is concrete one. Also I had my whole house painted just 1 week back. So wife has got a good reason to resist the set up completion.

Now my only option left is to buy Atmos supported speakers with top firing speaker option. I saw some Onkyo speakers. Will those work with my avr because they cost about 20000 inr here (around $300). I want to have some Atmos effect. My avr and sub will reach next weekend. So I have some time.

Thanks
Niladri.

kon3ru

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
My suggestion would be go for POP for ceiling hardly 5 to 6k which gives premium look and then run all your wiring over POP work which hides everything including your Atoms speakers.

NiladriDe

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Ok I am really considering the pop for my ceiling.
I have another query. I am using pvc channel to hide speaker wires, using 16awg as the cable length max would be 35 feets. Now my concern is I am pushing 3 wires in each pvc. Is there any chance of wires getting caught by fire? 1/2 inch pvc is used.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_125127.jpg
    IMG_20200830_125127.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 4

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts