Newbie to site and home theatre - Denon 3600 and Q Acoustic 3010i plus ceilings for Atmos - Good place to start ?

JimGilbert

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
I have ordered the Denon 3600 and the Q Acoustic 3010i cinema speaker package. I have also added a pair of ceiling speakers so I can do the 5.1.2 Atmos thing !
Was just wondering if I can connect my Marantz MCR611 to the system to enjoy the benefits that bit of kit brings to the party.
Done the Youtube thing, I think it can be made to drive the front to 3020i's to be a true stereo but it talks about dedicated AV connections and the Marantz only has Analogue and Digital connections, so I am not sure if I can, or how to, if it is possible at all.
I am guessing, given the name of the site, someone out there will be able to help.
Fingers crossed.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You can connect your MCR611 to the front pre-outs of the Denon 3600. You'll need a rca cable which connects to your "analogue audio in" on your MCR611.

You may have an issue with volume matching though when watching films.

I don't think your MCR611 has any way of recognising that it's connected to an AV amp. I used to have this issue with some Rotel amps so set up my system with the amp volume set at 12'O Clock and used the auto set up from AV amp to try and match the front speakers. It worked ok for me.

You might be surprised though how good the Denon is with music compared to your MCR611.

JimGilbert

Jun 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the guidance. I was planning for the poor music / stereo output from the AVR as a number of forums and YouTube reviewers suggest it’s not up to scratch.
I was hoping to use the Marantz in the front room so I will be more than happy if the AVR pumps out a decent sound. I say decent as I am neither an audiophile or deaf, so decent volume and decent quality will be fine. Off to find out about lossless streaming and how to get that working with the AVR. I may be back for more guidance some time soon.
Thanks again.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I’m by no means an audiophile and due to being a Heavy Metal fan am a bit deaf haha.

There‘s far more people on here more knowledgeable than I am, but to give you an idea what I did a few years ago, I used to have a Rotel Pre-amp and two Rotel Power amps set up in dual mono. My Rotel pre-amp was connected to my Yamaha AV amp so I could watch films.

I decided that I would “downgrade” to my Yamaha AV amp which was a middle of the road amp at the time. I was fed up of a load of boxes and wanted to get my kit in one rack. I expected I’d hear a big difference, but to be honest I was really pleased. So much so, I’ve no desire to go back to multi-box systems for music & films.

I think you’ll be impressed with the Denon with music. Stick it in pure direct mode and I think it will out perform your Marantz.

I have a NAS and my Denon connects wirelessly to that fine and plays 24bit music. I subscribe to amazon music and it streams that and Spotify. It will play music direct from USB as well. Airplay if you need and I have a Bluetooth record deck connected to it haha.

I would suggest you keep things simple first. Think of adding the MCR611 only if needed. I had posted a detailed explanation of how I connected my Marantz PM6005 to Marantz SR7009 AVR to drive the front speakers, but that was before this forum disappeared (and now reappeared). I'll search for it and post here if I find it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts