time for 4k and atmos avr

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi, been a while since ive been browsing the forums and asking for advice, but its time to probably think about changing my avr again and its time i thought about atmos and 4k stuff, i been waiting for the new pioneer avr's to be reviewed and sure enough the latest what hifi has a review on the 701 and it didnt do so well, as a big pioneer fan thats not what i wanted so now my question to all is what avr do i go for, currently useing pioneer lx55 with lx58 blueray and a complete 9.1 speaker setup with mission elegantes throughout.

one thing i have been reading is some avr's need additional amps to do extra atmos speakers, i would like to have 9.1.4 setup without an additional amp, my current thought is the denon avr x4300h and i know what hifi rave about the yamahas but i had a yamaka setup back in the early days of surround sound and music wasnt too good through it and its put me off, although that was probably 20years ago lol.

So music has to be up to what current pioneer provides and prefer no additional amps for a 9.1.4 atmos setup, oh and while im here might aswell ask what ceiling speakers would match in with my missions, any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks

slight adjustment to what i said above 9.1.4 if it can be done but since reading another posts 7.1.4 setup is more like it, i dont really wanna drop surround back speakers for ceiling speakers but willing to drop my front heights for front ceilings.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK finding thirteen channel decoding receivers is like trying to find rocking horse manure, thirteen channel ones that don't require external power amps even more so.

Eleven channels is where most stop, and most, not all, eleven channel decoding / simulating receivers also require a separate power amp for the last two channels.

Some, like my Marantz 7010 (and probably the Denon equivalent) will allow up to thirteen speakers to be connected with the addition of two power amps, and will then self select eleven out of thirteen to use, depending on the source codec, e.g. using all four overheads in preference to front highs or wides for Atmos, but using the front highs at the expense of overheads for DTS:X.

Good hunting and please repost with what you find / decide.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Pick ones with similar sensitivities and frequency responses to your around-the-walls, same impedances too.

Overheads are for effect more than lying on the floor listening to your favorite CDs, so precise tonal balance isn't as important.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
well after a couple hours browsing around this afternoon it seems i havemiss understood dolby atmos setups a little bit,i thought it would be just adding a new avr and some ceiling speakers, but seems a little bit more involved. i really dont know what is best 4ceiling speakers, which would mean dropping my back surround or stick with 2 ceiling to keep the back surrounds. And does all 7.1.4 setups need extra amps?

You can choose the front and rear heights as Atmos speakers. It will work, although not ideal. See how that is first before going for ceiling speakers. Denon AVR-X6300H has 11 channels of amplification, enabling you to have a full 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup without needing additional amp.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
thanks big boss, ive been looking at that denon but since i normally only spend a grand on pioneer's avrs 2 grand a big step up but isnt out the question. i think i will take my time over this and certainly absorb some more advice, what would you recommend as a cheaper option say a marantz or lower denon, and if i wanted to add atmos a bit later what amp would suit to run the additional speakers?

thxs again

I have a Marantz SR7009 with PM6005 for my 7.1.4 setup. Works well, although I do prefer having less boxes and have been eyeing the Denon. The recommendation usually is to go for a power amplifier which is around £600-650, but I went for a stereo amplifier.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You can get by with a fairly modest power amp if you use it to drive the rear overheads. I use an Onkyo M-5010, at about US$200 here, probably 200 Pounds in the UK.

Alternatively you can invest in something like an Emotiva 3 channel power amp to drive your front three speakers.

Or you can route your front left and right channels through a "proper stereo" amp and speakers.

The number of overheads you need really depends on the front to back depth of your viewing space. Mine is 19 feet and I have four, but could probably have gotten away with two.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
yeh my room is big enough for a full 7.1.4 setup i need to make a choice one amp to do the lot the denon at 2grand is a good option and i would do atmos a little later or a 2amp system which i should be able to do cheaper and atmos speaker right away.

i just like to hear what others have done and there suggestions

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're running speaker cables you might as well run four pairs and be done with. Use 12 AWG speaker wire off a reel throughout, nothing fancy. Use modest overheads if you've got a modest sized room. No need to use Joderell Bank's cast-offs. 50 wpc 50 to 20 kHz 6 or 8 inch cones with concentric tweeters that can be pointed towards the main listening position are ideal. No need for snobby brand names. No one is going to lie on your couch or floor studying your overheads! Remember to box them in for best acoustics, fire protection, to stop them getting gummed up with insulation or attacked by rodents, spiders, etc.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
spent another afternoon looking at home cinema amps, so many options so many choices, with xmas and tax man wanting money at the end of january, i dont think i shall rush into this change.

Anyone got any views on maybe on some older models or lesser models....some good deals on marantz and denon but im not sure whats best, and i ve decided to add atmos later, i just need a new amp with 4k ability.

More advice would be appreciated

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Does everything you could want, except it needs a separate modest stereo power amp to drive two channels.

Down to 900 quid now. Probably cheaper if you pick up a used one on Fleabay or ex demo.

The last two channels can be fed from the preamp outputs and the setup routine allows you to pick the front left and right or the rear overheads. Obviously if you have a "proper stereo" you can feed the 7010's front pre-amp outputs into the stereo amp's AV bypass or Aux inputs.

Actually, the 7010 can use up to 13 speakers. It picks 11 from 13 for you depending on the source CODEC. I haven't explored this, but I expect it means you can keep your front highs as well as using four ceiling speakers. It probably selects the front highs for non Atmos CODECs at the expense of two ceilings, but drops the front highs and uses all four ceilings for Atmos.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
funny i saw that amp was down to 900 but im also tempted with the newest version to @1500 plus ive had a chat with peter tyson and they will give me a reaosnable 250 tradein for my pioneer, trouble is the denon's throwing a heos 1 speaker aswell so im still very undecided, just wish my acountant would phone me to tell me my jan tax bill lol......then i now what i got to spend.

jon c

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Any know what the marantz are like for their apps? i like to control stuff with iphone/ipad if poss.......the pioneer stuff is really good so im hoping marantz are as good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts