Advice on Chord Qutest dac setting.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi.
I have just bought a Qutest to replace my ifi zen dac v2. Does anybody know about the 1V-2V-3V output level setting of the chord, why there are 3 options and what option is the best ?Or I should just try all of them to hear what is the best for me ?
Thank you...

Friesiansam

Hi.
I have just bought a Qutest to replace my ifi zen dac v2. Does anybody know about the 1V-2V-3V output level setting of the chord, why there are 3 options and what option is the best ?Or I should just try all of them to hear what is the best for me ?
Thank you...
I assume you are connecting the Qutest to an amplifier so, does the amplifier manual tell you anything about required or optimal input voltage?

The 2 volt output is closest to the line ‘standard’ that CD players introduced, that is peak output of 2 volts. (Prior to that, tuners and cassette decks typically mustered 300 to 500 millivolts. So CD had up to four times the output.)

I can’t recall if the Qtest has a volume control; I know my pal’s Hugo TT does as he uses it as a preamp. That means you might use it into active or powered speakers, or direct into a power amp. Therefore a higher or lower setting might give you better control or sound.

As you say, just try each to see which suits you best, but always switch off or mute any amplifier that you are connected to, in case you accidentally blast full volume, or generate a loud ‘plop’ when changing settings.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Depends on the input sensitivity of your amplifier. If you have an amp where you are maxed out at the 9 o'clock setting on the volume ( eg Naim.....🙄) I would try the 1 volt to give you more flexibility.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi.
Thank you...
Best advice for setting up a Chord DAC:

1. Sell your Chord DAC ASAP

2. Forget about this company in particular and about discrete DACs in general, get wireless ones

headphones and integrated amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts