Advice, B&W Z2 vs Monitor Audio S200

uzkebasi

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I am looking to buy wireless speakers to use in my room with my Mac and for music streaming. I am currently hesitating between two models, though another 2 could be considered as well if I can be convinced to spend the extra £££ on them!

The two in my price range are the Monitor Audio S200 for £200 and the Bowers & Wilkins Z2, reduced to £160. The other 2 that would be a real investment are the Bowers & Wilkins A5 reduced to £300 and the Zeppelin reduced to £350.

Since I have a Mac and iPhone I am able to use AirPlay on all devices, but I like the option on the S200 if friends come over to use Bluetooth. I'm also not a fan of the Z2's dock as that will become obsolete sooner or later. But, the Z2 is cheaper and I imagine has a better sound considering it is supposed to be a £300+ speaker? It's also so much sleeker.

Can someone compare the sound of both speakers? I have some pretty bassy tracks in my library like Pendulum, and some very heavy artists like Rammstein. Can those speakers cope with that kind of bass and power?

And what about the other two? Is the sound that much better on the A5 to justify the extra £100? And if I go for the A5, shouldn't I just pay the £50 extra to get the zeppelin, worth £600? I have heard the zeppelin and the sound is truly excellent.

I'd really appreciate your input guys, I'm pretty novice when it comes to speakers but now I'd like to invest in quality.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
If you like the sound of the Zeppelin and the price reduction is good then it seems like a nice choice. You could also consider something like Audio engine A5+ speakers or Epoz aktimate. Better stereo sound than docks and more capable with bass and higher volume too. Add something like an Arcam mini blink for the bluetooth function you'd like.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Once again it all rather depends on what you want. The various units to mention are all in one, plug and play solutions with all the convenience and limitations that such systems have.

The alternative is a vastly more competent, proper stereo setup that requires just a little more thought. In the UK this could be achieved by using a pair of Seiwin 6a active speakers, from London dealer Studiospares at just £160, plus of course an Apple AEX.

Performance on heavy music (like Rammstein) will be on an altogether different level from any of the docks you mention but you will have to fit two proper sized speakers, ideally on stands, into your room. Performance wise there will be no comparison.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts