Adding A Gigabit Switch

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I have Sky broadband therefore I can't change router. The wireless on it won't reach downstairs for PS3 and Airport Express. I also now have a large amount of data in the form of music files on my desktop upstairs and a back up server and am thinking of putting some of my favourite tv series on hard disc so I can watch them around the house.

Due to the above I want a wired network. I'd like to achieve this by the use of home plugs and a switch. The router has 10/100 ports, so I want to plug a gigabit switch into it and then connect the desktop to the switch. I will also connect one home plug to the switch and then one downstairs to connect the PS3 and Airport. The PS3 (a fat one) I think has a 1000 port, the airport express only 10/100. My back up server has a 1000 port. The home plugs I want to use have 1000 ports.

My questions are -

1.) If everything is connected to switch, and then one connection from switch to router will the devices connected still be able to access internet through switch?

2.) Everything bar the Express has a 1000 port. If the Express is on will the whole network be limited to 10/100 or just the connection to the Express? If the Express is off will the network be 1000?

3.) I have two devices downstairs. When Sky start the Anytime+ streaming thing, I'll have three devices. Can I connect a switch to the downstairs home plug so all devices can be plugged in at once? (Again from question 2, I don't know the speed of the Sky ethernet port but if it is 10/100 will that slow whole network to that speed? The Sky box is on all the time unlike the Express)

Cheer!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The switch is just an extension to the network, it all works as if everything was plugged directly into the router, each device will connect at its own speed, unaffected by anything else on the switch (obviously the speed of copying data from one device to another is governed by the slowest connection).

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
So, to be clear, if I have everything on and try to copy or access date from a 1000 to a 1000 device it will go at that speed but if I try to copy from 10/100 to 1000 it will be limited to 10/100?

What about having another switch downstairs? Is that just another extension of the network?

I release real world figures with home plugs will not be as quick as ethernet cable but running the cable isnt an option currently.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
harveymt:So, to be clear, if I have everything on and try to copy or access date from a 1000 to a 1000 device it will go at that speed but if I try to copy from 10/100 to 1000 it will be limited to 10/100?

Yes. Practically speaking you're unlikely to see anything like those speeds however.

What about having another switch downstairs? Is that just another extension of the network?

Yes.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:The switch is just an extension to the network, it all works as if everything was plugged directly into the router, each device will connect at its own speed, unaffected by anything else on the switch (obviously the speed of copying data from one device to another is governed by the slowest connection).

What's the difference between a switch and a hub ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Essentially, with a hub, all the devices share the bandwidth i.e. if you plug 5 devices into a 100 Mbps hub, they'll all share the 100 Mbps available bandwidth, and only one device can "talk" with another at one time (though it switches between them very quickly to allow this). With a 100 Mbps switch, each device gets a dedicated 100 Mbps connection i.e. it doesn't share this with the other devices, and each device can "talk" with another at the same time as other devices "talk". So both of these mean network traffic moves a lot faster.

Have a look here.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Prof - very informative as usual!

Is my set up optimal then? I have a BT Home Hub, but due to the number of devices I also have a switch. I've got all my devices plugged into the switch and then a cable to the Home Hub - ie empty ethernet ports on the home hub. I'm assuming that for my BD player to talk to my NAS, it doesn't need to go through the Home Hub thus it's faster. But if any device wants internet access it goes through the switch then to the Home Hub.

Or have I guessed wrong?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sounds fine to me. However, don't be confused, your home hub will actually contain a network switch, not a hub, so feel free to use it for devices if that's easier. The term hub is just a marketing term BT has used to indicate it's the centre of all your home's connectivity in terms of internet, phone and wireless.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Indeed Prof, I think I'd be right in saying that for practical purposes you can't really buy a genuine hub for home use anymore, the cost of switches is so affordable it really isn't worth offering them (I stand to be corrected however).

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Is it possible to buy a switch that doesn't need mains power?

I have a BT Home Hub and switch hidden a away under the stairs and cables running to network ports in various rooms, including next to the hi fi. My BD player is plugged into this so I'm assuming if I also want a media streamer here I'll need a switch here as well. Trouble is I'm running out of power points and don't want to increase the chances of more electrical interference and noise to the hi fi...

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is possible. You must look for a PoE feature (Power over Ethernet). Usually business class products may have it, so it will be more expensive than an extra wire for mains power to switch location.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
ediots:Yes, it is possible. You must look for a PoE feature (Power over Ethernet). Usually business class products may have it, so it will be more expensive than an extra wire for mains power to switch location.

I have only ever come across switches which deliver a PoE ability (for phones etc) not one which is itself powered by PoE.

Any chance of a link to one.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:

ediots:Yes, it is possible. You must look for a PoE feature (Power over Ethernet). Usually business class products may have it, so it will be more expensive than an extra wire for mains power to switch location.

I have only ever come across switches which deliver a PoE ability (for phones etc) not one which is itself powered by PoE.

Maybe you are right, I know that there are lot of AP who can be powered via PoE. There is one example of your switch Netgear GS108P which gives a power to other devices. But here is one example of non expensive router/switch which can be powered by PoE Mikrotik RB750G . It's main purpose is router, but can work as switch as well. Maybe not quite easy to use, but software is very flexible and powerful.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ediots:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Maybe you are right, I know that there are lot of AP who can be powered via PoE. There is one example of your switch Netgear GS108P which gives a power to other devices. But here is one example of non expensive router/switch which can be powered by PoE Mikrotik RB750G . It's main purpose is router, but can work as switch as well. Maybe not quite easy to use, but software is very flexible and powerful.

Yes, but in the OP's case, what is going to supply the power over ethernet to this router/switch?

A

Anonymous

He anyway need a cable from BT router to new switch. BT router is next to mains, so he will need only the ethernet cable running from existing router to new switch wherever it will be located. Power supply cable from power adapter joins ethernet cable, it uses unused ethernet lines.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
One option on the PoE front would be to use injector(s) located near the BT Home Hub (where there is mains available) and then on to a PoE powered switch (check out the 3Com Intellijack for example)

Home hub -->pach cable-->Injector-->patch cable-->PoE powered switch

A

Anonymous

Yes, that is it, and you only need one ethernet cable from BT router to switch.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Ummm.......you'll need to patch cables surley? One to the injector, then one from the injector to the switch - we use these all the time!! You can get 'power brick' injectors that plug straight into the wall socket and have two Ethernet ports. One 'in' from the Home Hub and then one 'out' to the PoE device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts